Author Topic: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?  (Read 91267 times)

Offline misty

Re: Is the Labour Party in danger of imploding?
« Reply #465 on: June 11, 2017, 10:28:45 PM »
I haven't studied Labour's Manifesto but I think it was meticulously prepared and costed. Otherwise the media and the Tories would have focused on criticising it and they didn't. I think Labour did their homework. The Tories cobbled together a vague 'wish list' with no costings whatsoever, just more threats of austerity and cuts. When May said we're all in it together' I took it as a warning to pensioners that they were the next target. I think a few others did to!

Diane Abbot got her sums wrong for the additional policing costs & JC didn't know what the cost was for the promised free child care for all 2-4 year olds, when asked.
As far as the childcare is concerned, he hasn't got a clue. The 30 hours policy is unworkable without employing many extra staff whilst at the same time having available slots unfilled when parents opt not to use the full 30 hours (which have to still be kept open for them). All this at a time when education authorities are strapped for cash & laying off teachers/classroom assistants in mainstream schools.
JC could promise what he wanted, knowing he was never going to be running the country or negotiating Brexit. More fool those who believe he would have delivered on any of his manifesto.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #466 on: June 12, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
Diane Abbot got her sums wrong for the additional policing costs & JC didn't know what the cost was for the promised free child care for all 2-4 year olds, when asked.
As far as the childcare is concerned, he hasn't got a clue. The 30 hours policy is unworkable without employing many extra staff whilst at the same time having available slots unfilled when parents opt not to use the full 30 hours (which have to still be kept open for them). All this at a time when education authorities are strapped for cash & laying off teachers/classroom assistants in mainstream schools.
JC could promise what he wanted, knowing he was never going to be running the country or negotiating Brexit. More fool those who believe he would have delivered on any of his manifesto.

The Tories did no sums so their spending plans were a mystery. I wouldn't be so sure that Corbyn won't run the country; he is in a very strong position should May's house of cards collapse. Or should I say when........
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline misty

« Reply #467 on: June 12, 2017, 11:24:18 AM »
The Tories did no sums so their spending plans were a mystery. I wouldn't be so sure that Corbyn won't run the country; he is in a very strong position should May's house of cards collapse. Or should I say when........

The Tories still had their 2015 manifesto to fulfil so no costings required. The only mystery is the one neither party did, or was able to, address which is spending post Brexit.
Corbyn couldn't win the election despite the collapse of the UKIP vote and Mrs May's absence on the national  media platform & imo his position is weaker in his own party than Mrs May's is in hers. I get the feeling Tom Watson can't wait to step into Corbyn's shoes.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #468 on: June 12, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
The Tories still had their 2015 manifesto to fulfil so no costings required. The only mystery is the one neither party did, or was able to, address which is spending post Brexit.
Corbyn couldn't win the election despite the collapse of the UKIP vote and Mrs May's absence on the national  media platform & imo his position is weaker in his own party than Mrs May's is in hers. I get the feeling Tom Watson can't wait to step into Corbyn's shoes.

Ah, the 2015 Manifesto.  I'm not sure that Manifesto is still relevant if a new election takes place. There's another problem for the Tories because they are under investigation over that election, aren't they?

I think Labour's Manifesto covers spending post Brexit because with a five year fixed term for governments now it covers that period.

I'm sure many would like to step into Corbyn's shoes but at the moment his grip on them is unassailable. May is clinging onto her kitten heels, but only by her little toes imo.

Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #469 on: June 12, 2017, 01:22:47 PM »
Ah, the 2015 Manifesto.  I'm not sure that Manifesto is still relevant if a new election takes place. There's another problem for the Tories because they are under investigation over that election, aren't they?

I think Labour's Manifesto covers spending post Brexit because with a five year fixed term for governments now it covers that period.

I'm sure many would like to step into Corbyn's shoes but at the moment his grip on them is unassailable. May is clinging onto her kitten heels, but only by her little toes imo.

No party can cost spending post Brexit because no-one knows exactly what financial & economic effect it will have on this country. Put quite simply, if Corbyn wants to raise Corporation tax to 26% to help cover his planned spending & we have no free trade agreements in place, how many businesses will pull out of UK or collapse entirely?
Less tax paid=less for Labour to spend.
 It's the same with the Uni fees - less money going into the uni's = reduced student numbers = more young people looking for jobs which aren't there.
IMO Corbyn is like Sturgeon - a very good convincing orator but viewing the electorate as Arabs to sell sand to.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #470 on: June 12, 2017, 02:54:38 PM »
No party can cost spending post Brexit because no-one knows exactly what financial & economic effect it will have on this country. Put quite simply, if Corbyn wants to raise Corporation tax to 26% to help cover his planned spending & we have no free trade agreements in place, how many businesses will pull out of UK or collapse entirely?
Less tax paid=less for Labour to spend.
 It's the same with the Uni fees - less money going into the uni's = reduced student numbers = more young people looking for jobs which aren't there.
IMO Corbyn is like Sturgeon - a very good convincing orator but viewing the electorate as Arabs to sell sand to.

The proof of the pudding may prove to be in the eating. May has not managed to secure an agreement with the DUP yet. I believe there's a deadline of tomorrow when Parliament reassembles. Even then, she could face a vote of no confidence.
Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #471 on: June 12, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »
The proof of the pudding may prove to be in the eating. May has not managed to secure an agreement with the DUP yet. I believe there's a deadline of tomorrow when Parliament reassembles. Even then, she could face a vote of no confidence.

It's a ridiculous situation when Theresa May was only 400 votes short of achieving an overall majority and attracted 42.5% of the voting public, despite not engaging in a full campaign. Tony Blair had a 43.2% of the public vote in 1997 when he achieved his landslide victory - a mere 0.7% more than Mrs May achieved.
IMO the Tories would be extremely foolish to challenge their leader right now when so much is at stake for the country. The Labour party, on the other hand, have absolutely nothing to lose by challenging JC again & the time is right for Blair to make a move if he seriously intends to do so.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #472 on: June 12, 2017, 06:07:17 PM »
It's a ridiculous situation when Theresa May was only 400 votes short of achieving an overall majority and attracted 42.5% of the voting public, despite not engaging in a full campaign. Tony Blair had a 43.2% of the public vote in 1997 when he achieved his landslide victory - a mere 0.7% more than Mrs May achieved.
IMO the Tories would be extremely foolish to challenge their leader right now when so much is at stake for the country. The Labour party, on the other hand, have absolutely nothing to lose by challenging JC again & the time is right for Blair to make a move if he seriously intends to do so.

It's seats which count in our system, not votes. The only reason May is still in place is because the Tories have no choice. The UK has no government at the moment so they have to let her try to form one. Labour attacking Corbyn at the moment would be suicidal. The gains they have made are down to him and his policies. Blair is irrelevant, he's history.

Result = happy posting.

Offline misty

« Reply #473 on: June 12, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »
It's seats which count in our system, not votes. The only reason May is still in place is because the Tories have no choice. The UK has no government at the moment so they have to let her try to form one. Labour attacking Corbyn at the moment would be suicidal. The gains they have made are down to him and his policies. Blair is irrelevant, he's history.

The Tories received their highest percentage of the public vote since 1983, so hardly a failure. Considering how many Tory supporters want to remain in the EU I consider that quite an achievement. There's a data map in the Telegraph today (you may be able to access the online copy to read it, I've used up my permitted one premium article for this week) showing just how "Blue" the country is, representative of the seat allocation.
The country should hope that the DUP will do a deal or we are in for an intense & indefinite period of financial & economic instability. The prospect of that does not bode well.

stephen25000

« Reply #474 on: June 12, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »
The Tories received their highest percentage of the public vote since 1983, so hardly a failure. Considering how many Tory supporters want to remain in the EU I consider that quite an achievement. There's a data map in the Telegraph today (you may be able to access the online copy to read it, I've used up my permitted one premium article for this week) showing just how "Blue" the country is, representative of the seat allocation.
The country should hope that the DUP will do a deal or we are in for an intense & indefinite period of financial & economic instability. The prospect of that does not bode well.

There are more voters now than in '83.

Second , what was the % turnout ?

Offline misty

« Reply #475 on: June 12, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »

There are more voters now than in '83.

Second , what was the % turnout ?

In 1983 - Electorate – 42,197,344     
                Turnout – 72.7%                     =30,677,469 voted

In 2017    Electorate 46,843,896
                Turnout - 68.7%                      =32,181,756 voted

Your point being??

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #476 on: June 12, 2017, 08:14:48 PM »

I wouldn't count on a deal with the DUP ensuring stability if I were you.
Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

« Reply #477 on: June 12, 2017, 09:47:25 PM »
In 1983 - Electorate – 42,197,344     
                Turnout – 72.7%                     =30,677,469 voted

In 2017    Electorate 46,843,896
                Turnout - 68.7%                      =32,181,756 voted

Your point being??

I was trying to work out yours.

stephen25000

« Reply #478 on: June 12, 2017, 09:48:18 PM »
I wouldn't count on a deal with the DUP ensuring stability if I were you.

I'very heard a tumour they want Farrage as our brexit negotiator. *&*%£
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:44:58 AM by stephen25000 »

Offline misty

« Reply #479 on: June 12, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »
I was trying to work out yours.

My point is how the success or failure of Mrs May measures up against previous election results.