Poll

Are you a supporter, a sceptic or a fence sitter?

A supporter
14 (40%)
A sceptic
16 (45.7%)
A fence sitter
3 (8.6%)
Not yet sure of facts
2 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: March 21, 2016, 05:14:12 PM

Author Topic: Are you a supporter, a sceptic or a fence sitter?  (Read 9885 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Are you a supporter, a sceptic or a fence sitter?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 07:55:41 PM »
Yes, its all or nothing with a believer.

I think my description is better
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 08:58:07 PM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 08:11:42 PM »
In reality a fence sitter does not believe the McCanns and is therefore a sceptic

Hmmm. I have no problem with people who have genuinely become interested in the case after the initial media blitz.

I do, however, have a problem with numerous 10-post sock wonders who suddenly appear on certain forums. *roll eyes*

stephen25000

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 08:20:27 PM »
Hmmm. I have no problem with people who have genuinely become interested in the case after the initial media blitz.

I do, however, have a problem with numerous 10-post sock wonders who suddenly appear on certain forums. *roll eyes*

I agree with you again Carana.

8((()*/

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 08:34:29 PM »

I think we know who you mean

Offline LagosBen

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 08:35:45 PM »

I would guess that most with definite opinions have been around for a long time, just posting under different monikers around the net.

Offline John

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2016, 09:02:56 PM »
I don't think we have ever asked this question on the forum previously so it is being put out to all members.  Please answer honestly, your vote is completely anonymous and confidential.

Feel free to add comments below if you want.

Admin

This raises an interesting question for me.  The Oxford Dictionary give a definition of a sceptic as a person inclined to question or doubt accepted opinions.  But what is accepted opinion in the Madeleine case because from what I can see the country is split right down the middle?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:03:53 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline mercury

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2016, 09:09:53 PM »
This raises an interesting question for me.  The Oxford Dictionary give a definition of a sceptic as a person inclined to question or doubt accepted opinions.  But what is accepted opinion in the Madeleine case because from what I can see the country is split right down the middle?

I think it refers more to the "official" positions, ie from "team mccann" the uk media (mainly) and the police to an extent, plus some other entities, not to mention the whole phenomenon of  "everyone who doesnt believe the story is a villain of some sort or another"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 10:55:56 PM by mercury »

ferryman

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2016, 09:12:41 PM »
I would say it is an objective statement that there is no evidence pointing to the guilt of the McCanns.

Some opinion flies in the face of objectivity.

Emergence of objective facts may swing the pendulum in the direction of subjective opinion.

But it is pure speculation that that may happen.

As things stand (at least with the state of knowledge in the public domain) it is clear that there are no sensible grounds for suspecting the McCanns ....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2016, 09:15:18 PM »
I would say it is an objective statement that there is no evidence pointing to the guilt of the McCanns.

Some opinion flies in the face of objectivity.

Emergence of objective facts may swing the pendulum in the direction of subjective opinion.

But it is pure speculation that that may happen.

As things stand (at least with the state of knowledge in the public domain) it is clear that there are no sensible grounds for suspecting the McCanns ....

and yet only 1/3 of this forum accept that...interesting

Offline Brietta

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 10:33:24 PM »
and yet only 1/3 of this forum accept that...interesting

I firmly believe in the right of the presumption of innocence which is enshrined in law.  That makes me a supporter which will only change if evidence is found leading to due process and a fair trial proves guilt.

Right to a fair trial: New rules to guarantee presumption of innocence
Brussels, 12 February 2016
European Commission - Press release
Today, Ministers from the EU Member States have adopted new rules that will guarantee the presumption of innocence of anyone accused or suspected of a crime by the police or justice authorities.

**Snip
The new rules are based on EU fundamental rights laid down in the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights and the European Convention of Human Rights. The rights set in the Directive will be part of EU law and will be enforced as such by the Member States.
europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-16-291_en.pdf
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 10:40:30 PM »

yes,  it isn't that straight forward really. Who is accepting of these opinions? and since they are only opinions; do they count?

I mean some people accept they do not know what happened, but refuse to accept the McCanns various versions of accounts, their story just does not add up.  So perhaps the poll should be more defined?

1. do you belive the parents and tapas account of what happened to Madeleine
yes
no

simples!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2016, 11:02:57 PM »
yes,  it isn't that straight forward really. Who is accepting of these opinions? and since they are only opinions; do they count?

I mean some people accept they do not know what happened, but refuse to accept the McCanns various versions of accounts, their story just does not add up.  So perhaps the poll should be more defined?

1. do you belive the parents and tapas account of what happened to Madeleine
yes
no

simples!

I'm not sure that I understand.

Could you explain what exactly you disagree with and substantiate your points with reliable sources?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2016, 11:07:37 PM »
I'm not sure that I understand.

Could you explain what exactly you disagree with and substantiate your points with reliable sources?

No, This is about opinions and what people believe or do not believe regarding the parents versions of account. it really is simples. Do you believe  what they said or do you not.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:09:19 PM by Eleanor »
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2016, 11:38:25 PM »
No, This is about opinions and what people believe or do not believe regarding the parents versions of account. it really is simples. Do you believe  what they said or do you not.

On this forum, people are expected to present factual elements, to the best of their understanding, to substantiate views.

What exactly are you disputing?

Offline Carana

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2016, 11:43:03 PM »

What is "this"?