Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 110910 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #405 on: April 14, 2020, 12:27:28 PM »
Until then thank god for “foreigners” (and it’s not just London where they prop up the NHS, I know this from personal experience).

Not only the NHS but social care and so many other sectors.

Those who believe that ending freedom of movement will encourage more British citizens to train in these sectors need to give their heads a wobble.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #406 on: April 14, 2020, 12:38:18 PM »
Not only the NHS but social care and so many other sectors.

Those who believe that ending freedom of movement will encourage more British citizens to train in these sectors need to give their heads a wobble.

we dont need free movement to recruit the workers we need. Free movement gives us people we need and people we dont need....the better way is to be able to choose

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #407 on: April 14, 2020, 12:55:19 PM »
we dont need free movement to recruit the workers we need. Free movement gives us people we need and people we dont need....the better way is to be able to choose

So how do you suggest we do that ? An Australian points based system...which doesn’t even work in Australia?

https://www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/australia’s-migration-system-wouldn’t-work-here-and-doesn’t-work-there
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #408 on: April 14, 2020, 03:21:32 PM »
So how do you suggest we do that ? An Australian points based system...which doesn’t even work in Australia?

https://www.tuc.org.uk/blogs/australia’s-migration-system-wouldn’t-work-here-and-doesn’t-work-there

Your link is to a TUC blog... Perhaps  a bit biased against the govt.. LOL
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:39:56 PM by Davel »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #409 on: April 14, 2020, 03:51:25 PM »
Your link is to a TUC blog... Perhaps  a bit biased against the govt.. LOL

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/australian-immigration-points-system-brexit-uk

From the article.

‘Despite this positioning as a panacea to free movement, a number of commentators have pointed out that far from cutting migration, in Australia a points-based system has been a tool of immigration growth.’

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #410 on: April 14, 2020, 04:10:40 PM »
https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/australian-immigration-points-system-brexit-uk

From the article.

‘Despite this positioning as a panacea to free movement, a number of commentators have pointed out that far from cutting migration, in Australia a points-based system has been a tool of immigration growth.’
nothing wrong with immigration growth for australia as a long as its the right immigrants
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:14:42 PM by Davel »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #411 on: April 14, 2020, 04:45:20 PM »
nothing wrong with immigration growth for australia as a long as its the right immigrants

Pardon ?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #412 on: April 14, 2020, 05:29:11 PM »
Always remembering that it was foreigners, namely the Chinese and those they infected, who brought this plague upon our lands mostly thanks to Terminal 2 at Heathrow Airport.
I thought the virus was brought to “these lands” by an English bloke from Brighton after a skiing trip.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #413 on: April 14, 2020, 05:31:39 PM »
Pardon ?

It's in English you should be able to understand  it

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #414 on: April 14, 2020, 05:33:14 PM »
I thought the virus was brought to “these lands” by an English bloke from Brighton after a skiing trip.

Yes I think that's terminal 3...angelos got it wrong again
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 05:37:28 PM by Davel »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #415 on: April 14, 2020, 07:09:03 PM »
It's in English you should be able to understand  it

I understand the English simply not your reasoning.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #416 on: April 14, 2020, 07:47:01 PM »
I understand the English simply not your reasoning.

Australia wanted immigrants... They wanted the population to grow... But they wanted the right type of immigrants. As I understand they want UK qualified doctors.... Not just any doctor.  My sons just come back... He was a doctor in Adelaide

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #417 on: April 14, 2020, 10:59:51 PM »
Australia wanted immigrants... They wanted the population to grow... But they wanted the right type of immigrants. As I understand they want UK qualified doctors.... Not just any doctor.  My sons just come back... He was a doctor in Adelaide

I’m sorry but are you saying that the number of immigrants rising year on year is not down to the points system failing but to tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of skilled workers beating a path to Australia’s door ? That hundreds of thousands of unskilled workers have been replaced, no outstripped, by skilled workers, skilled workers that have never seemed that interested in immigrating before ? A rather singular phenomenon I’m sure you’d agree.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #418 on: April 14, 2020, 11:08:55 PM »
Yep, me too Robert (seems I’m not the only freak):

Yes, my eyes prickled as Boris spoke — I know where he’s coming from
Robert Crampton
Tuesday April 14 2020, 12.01am, The Times

Save

I was struck by the emotional force — all the stronger for those emotions being suppressed, if only barely — of the prime minister’s message of gratitude to the health workers who saved his life last week. “Our NHS is the beating heart of this country,” said Boris Johnson. “It is the best of this country . . . it is powered by love.”

I don’t mind admitting that at those words I felt a distinct prickle in what Johnson in his previous incarnation as Bertie Wooster would no doubt have called “the old waterworks”. Waterworks as in tear duct, not urinary tract. Why so lachrymose? Because I agree with him. And because he obviously meant it.

Boris, child of privilege as he is, has made a career out of not bothering to hide — indeed flaunting — that privilege. At the same time, it’s often said of him that he is desperate to be liked. Deep down, our revivified prime minister has possibly gone through life suspecting that so-called ordinary people hate his guts.

Play Video
Boris Johnson thanks healthcare workers for saving his life
Then fate conveys him into a hospital, a London hospital moreover, the cradle of leftish immigrant Remainer sentiment, and not only do the staff there not hate him, they treat him with the loving care they would give to any patient, thereby saving his life. A man who (I’m guessing here) believed that the concept of shared humanity was so much waffle enters, in extremis, the warm embrace of the NHS and discovers that very concept made flesh.

Often that warm embrace is literal. Leaving aside various accidents and emergencies, I remember in particular a visit I paid not long ago to the Homerton in Hackney, east London, for a check-up, a straightforward gastroscopy. Except when a procedure involves a tube being inserted down your oesophagus, perilously close to your windpipe, nothing is straightforward. It’s uncomfortable bordering on painful. Invasive. Frightening. Frightening, mostly. Frightening enough to reduce a man to a whimpering wreck, a wreck who finds himself suddenly and desperately in need of the comforting presence of a nurse to stroke his hair, clutch him to her bosom and tell him it’s all going to be all right.

My gratitude to this woman, whom I hadn’t met five minutes earlier and would not recognise if I met again, is eternal. Seriously. And there wasn’t even anything wrong with me! That’s the way it is with those who step up and step in when you are weak and vulnerable. And health workers do that day after day, year after year. Ten minutes after I’d departed, that nurse would have been helping the next poor wimp get through the same ordeal.

From a broken wrist playing rugby aged 13 in 1977, through various illnesses and mishaps (mostly self-inflicted) up to a mysterious tropical ailment that confined me to Hull Royal Infirmary a few Christmasses ago, I’ve needed to be treated in hospital overnight seven or eight times. Through those episodes, and through the birth of my children to the death of my parents, I must have met hundreds of medics. I haven’t got a bad word to say about any of them. Quite the opposite. I know — we all know — exactly where the prime minister is coming from.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #419 on: April 15, 2020, 07:15:46 AM »
What was that about the government’s ideological pursuit of Brexit meaning we’d be at the back of the queue in the face for a vaccine?

GlaxoSmithKline in deal with rival Sanofi to make coronavirus vaccine on huge scale
Emma Walmsley, chief executive of GlaxoSmithKline, said the tie-up was unprecedented
Emma Walmsley, chief executive of GlaxoSmithKline, said the tie-up was unprecedented
DAVID PAUL MORRIS/BLOOMBERG VIA GETTY IMAGES
One of Britain’s biggest drug companies is teaming up with a French rival to develop a coronavirus vaccine and manufacture hundreds of millions of doses.

GlaxoSmithKline is to work with Sanofi on a treatment that they hope to test on humans during the second half of this year. They want to make a vaccine available a year later if the project succeeds and regulators grant approval.

Emma Walmsley, chief executive of GSK, the biggest vaccine maker, said the tie-up was unprecedented. She added: “We’re committed to making any vaccine that’s developed through the collaboration affordable to the public.”

GSK is listed in the FTSE 100 share index of Britain’s biggest companies and generated sales of almost £33.8 billion last year, £7.2 billion of which came from its vaccines division. It is one of four companies that dominate the vaccines industry, the others being Sanofi, which is based in Paris, and the American rivals Pfizer and Merck.

The tie-up is significant because it raises the prospect that a Covid-19 treatment could be manufactured quickly on the large scale required to tackle the pandemic. It normally takes at least a decade to develop a vaccine from scratch but drug companies and research institutes are scrambling to find one much more quickly.

Sanofi will bring to the partnership a Covid-19 antigen — a molecule that helps the body to produce antibodies — that it is developing. GSK will contribute its adjuvant technology, which boosts an antigen’s potency. This makes smaller doses more effective and may mean that more of the vaccine can be manufactured.

Ms Walmsley, 50, said: “We believe that if we’re successful we’ll be able to make hundreds of millions of doses annually by the end of next year.” The tie-up brings to seven the number of Covid-19 collaborations that GSK has with other groups, including universities and smaller companies.

PODCAST
Stories of our times
Julian Assange, the founder of Wikileaks, is fighting extradition to the US, after seven years holed up in the Ecuadorian Embassy. This week it was revealed that he secretly started a family during his time in hiding. Is it in the public interest for Julian Assange to be sent to the States? Listen for free on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Acast or wherever you get your podcasts
Listen now
The British company does not intend to profit from any of these initiatives during the pandemic and will reinvest any money it makes into research and pandemic preparedness, Ms Walmsley said. It also plans to donate adjuvant to the world’s poorest countries.

AstraZeneca said that it was rushing a drug used to tackle blood cancer into clinical trials to investigate its effectiveness for treating “cytokine storm”. This develops in Covid-19 patients when the body’s immune system overreacts. If successful, Astra believes the treatment could mean fewer patients with life-threatening symptoms needing to go on to ventilators.

The World Health Organisation said there were 70 Covid-19 vaccines in development. They include a team led by Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at Oxford University, who told The Times last week that she was “80 per cent confident” that their treatment would work, possibly by September.