Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364744 times)

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #1245 on: January 13, 2014, 12:37:14 AM »
If it is just an attempt to justify costs, it's a terrible tease for the McCanns.

icabodcrane

« Reply #1246 on: January 13, 2014, 12:43:56 AM »
If it is just an attempt to justify costs, it's a terrible tease for the McCanns.

What are you talking about Sherlock  ?

This story has not come from the police  as far as I can see

All quotes and  'sources'  mentioned come directly from the McCann camp itself   

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1247 on: January 13, 2014, 01:02:16 AM »
What are you talking about Sherlock  ?

This story has not come from the police  as far as I can see

All quotes and  'sources'  mentioned come directly from the McCann camp itself

I was actually going to make reference to that  in my post!

I just can't reconcile the idea that, if what John is saying is correct - that these headlines and the arrests they describe are an attempt to justify the monies being spent on this case - with the fact that the McCanns' feelings are being toyed with in the process.

So these events and their coverage don't represent a real breakthrough of any kind - they are they really a scam formulated by Clarence Mitchell. 

Why would he scam us - if indeed he has the power to formulate a scam which involves sending SY to Portugal and attempting to have Portuguese authorities to co-operate - and have the McCanns sit and watch fake progress being made in the case?

Lyall

« Reply #1248 on: January 13, 2014, 01:15:04 AM »

I just can't reconcile the idea that, if what John is saying is correct - that these headlines and the arrests they describe are an attempt to justify the monies being spent on this case - with the fact that the McCanns' feelings are being toyed with in the process.

So these events and their coverage don't represent a real breakthrough of any kind - they are they really a scam formulated by Clarence Mitchell. 

Why would he scam us - if indeed he has the power to formulate a scam which involves sending SY to Portugal and attempting to have Portuguese authorities to co-operate - and have the McCanns sit and watch fake progress being made in the case?

The CPS must have sent the letter requesting assistance, or must be about to. I don't think anyone would invent that claim. But they might be exaggerating its importance.

This Mirror story tonight is just a repeat of the Mail's story on January 3rd.

icabodcrane

« Reply #1249 on: January 13, 2014, 01:19:41 AM »

Scam us  ?   

I don't think we're being  scammed  ...   but there is certainly a possibility that we are being mislead

How many of these stories have we been fed in recent months  ?  ...  dead heroin addict tractor driver,  child stealing  gypsies,  rogue  'cleaners',  and now,  burglars turned child snatcher

You see,  whilst we are given an endless parade of increasingly grotesque suspects we are constantly  'reminded' that the culprit  ...  the perpetrator  ...  the  abductor  is  'out there'   somewhere,  and we don't  stop to wonder,  "hang on,  if there  is  no real suspect,  perhaps the Portuguese were right all along,  and there  was  no abduction"

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1250 on: January 13, 2014, 01:25:40 AM »
The CPS must have sent the letter requesting assistance, or must be about to. I don't think anyone would invent that claim. But they might be exaggerating its importance.

This Mirror story tonight is just a repeat of the Mail's story on January 3rd.

Exactly - too much power is being attributed to CM. Of course I could be being very naive again....

The CPS require more Portuguese co-operation in this case regardless of burglars or whatever else happens to be the news story of the moment.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1251 on: January 13, 2014, 01:43:15 AM »
Scam us  ?   

I don't think we're being  scammed  ...   but there is certainly a possibility that we are being mislead

How many of these stories have we been fed in recent months  ?  ...  dead heroin addict tractor driver,  child stealing  gypsies,  rogue  'cleaners',  and now,  burglars turned child snatcher

You see,  whilst we are given an endless parade of increasingly grotesque suspects we are constantly  'reminded' that the culprit  ...  the perpetrator  ...  the  abductor  is  'out there'   somewhere,  and we don't  stop to wonder,  "hang on,  if there  is  no real suspect,  perhaps the Portuguese were right all along,  and there  was  no abduction"

I understand the theory, icabod, but you'd have to show that all these stories came from Clarence Mitchell.

Tractorman, as far as I understand, was under suspicion in Portugal, and was the purported reason for the re-opening of the case there (find that hard to believe, but that was what was claimed at the time). And if CM was going to cook something up, why come up with such a ridiculous story as that? Risible.

Gypsies - there does seem to have been a spate of gypsies stealing children, in various European countries. Not an old wives tale, it appears. Was Clarence Mitchell responsible for that?

Rogue cleaners - not sure who started that one, thought the two Scots killers currently in jail who had some kind of cleaning service are not, unfortunately, a figment of CM's imagination.

Burglars - seems a bit far fetched to me, but SY must have some reason for flying out there to arrest people. It's not a police state we're living in - can't just arrest people for nothing.

Though you're going to tell me how naive I am and that it happens all the time...

icabodcrane

« Reply #1252 on: January 13, 2014, 01:55:24 AM »
I understand the theory, icabod, but you'd have to show that all these stories came from Clarence Mitchell.

Tractorman, as far as I understand, was under suspicion in Portugal, and was the purported reason for the re-opening of the case there (find that hard to believe, but that was what was claimed at the time). And if CM was going to cook something up, why come up with such a ridiculous story as that? Risible.

Gypsies - there does seem to have been a spate of gypsies stealing children, in various European countries. Not an old wives tale, it appears. Was Clarence Mitchell responsible for that?

Rogue cleaners - not sure who started that one, thought the two Scots killers currently in jail who had some kind of cleaning service are not, unfortunately, a figment of CM's imagination.

Burglars - seems a bit far fetched to me, but SY must have some reason for flying out there to arrest people. It's not a police state we're living in - can't just arrest people for nothing.

Though you're going to tell me how naive I am and that it happens all the time...

I don't think you are naive at all

...  conversly I  don' think  there is anything  cynical  about considering  the likelihood that Clarence Mitchell is behind the endless  'latest police suspect'  stories 

It is a valid and logical supposition,  I think 

Lyall

« Reply #1253 on: January 13, 2014, 02:01:43 AM »
Exactly - too much power is being attributed to CM. Of course I could be being very naive again....

The CPS require more Portuguese co-operation in this case regardless of burglars or whatever else happens to be the news story of the moment.

I think SH his influence is more revealed now by what the papers don't print rather than in what they do. Most obviously by how quickly the papers dropped the Sunday Times efits story, and also in the damage limitation after Crimewatch (there was more spin in papers the day after that than in Campbell's dodgy dossier). Then within days the papers dropped Scotland Yard's new prime suspects (the Crimewatch efits) and haven't mentioned them once since.

Lyall

« Reply #1254 on: January 13, 2014, 02:04:16 AM »
There's also the coverage of the libel trial, which is entirely favourable. And if they lose the case you'll see how it will still be spun into favourable coverage.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #1255 on: January 13, 2014, 02:21:16 AM »
There's also the coverage of the libel trial, which is entirely favourable. And if they lose the case you'll see how it will still be spun into favourable coverage.

I'm not suggesting there's no spin.

Merely that the powers being attributed to CM by some seem to be unrealistically great.

He can put a spin on what SY do, but he is not directing them.

icabodcrane

« Reply #1256 on: January 13, 2014, 02:29:59 AM »
I'm not suggesting there's no spin.

Merely that the powers being attributed to CM by some seem to be unrealistically great.

He can put a spin on what SY do, but he is not directing them.

Mitchell was a government spin-doctor 

Saying his ability to manipulate press coverage is being overestimated is akin to saying Peter Mandleson was a pussycat who got his way  by doing nothing more than  'asking politely'

No-one has suggested that Mitchell is  'directing'   Scotland Yard  ... it's his  'direction'  of the press and media that is being questioned

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #1257 on: January 13, 2014, 06:07:00 AM »
Just raising dust. After Mr Redwood blew Tannerman out of the water (only six years after PJ decided it wasn't reliable) the kingpin was gorn.  Oh s**t the whole lot's back in the melting pot better find another likely "paedo perp" pdq. The bit I find amazing is that we are expected to believe that PdL was stuffed to the gunwales with suitable ne'er do wells. Where there ever any bona fide holidaymakers there?

Well its one thing confuses me lol. IF you read the PJ files, the only people walking about were Tapas group, and wilkins.....oh yeh and one creepy perb.

Where were all the other people, the holiday makers?

Carol Tranmer in her statement said she looked across to OC and saw lots of people chatting and enjoying themselves....

but no one walking anywhere lol....all very odd.

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #1258 on: January 13, 2014, 06:20:24 AM »
Well, I cannot answer those questions as I am not Kate McCann. Only she knows why she wrote such a thing.

This is what she wrote on page 325:

"It was here I found the receptionist's note in the Ocean Club staff message book explaining that we wanted to book the Tapas restaurant for the rest of the week because we were leaving our children alone in the
apartments. I was dismayed. This was a glaring green light to a child-taker - and yet no mention is made of it in the files until December 2007........seven months' after Madeleine's abduction! I can only conclude that its relevance had not been appreciated by the police."

Once again we have evidence, as if we need any more, that the McCann's simply cannot take responsibility for their actions. They chose to leave the children alone in an apartment every night However it's not their fault that their daughter was (they allege) snatched from her bed by a stranger. It is the fault of the receptionist who really should have known better than to spell out to the alleged child-snatcher that there were three tasty little children waiting to be abducted in the McCann's apartment.

No mention was made of this until December writes Kate, as though this was the most terrible blunder ever.

Or, perhaps  the police did not mention it because they did not think that the receptionist's note was relevant to the enquiry.

Ah i mis read what you wrote. I thought Kate wrote it in the receptionist book.

TO BE fair to Mrs McCann I would have been a bit miffed too, there was no reason to write that in an open book. People do talk dont they and things can get spread around. I find it an odd thing to put in the reception book it was irrelevant to do so.

And also to be honest I think if I was Warner management i would have advised against this practice of leaving children alone. I believe they did not offer the baby listening service simply because they could not guarantee child's safety as apartments were private and accessible to all and sundry. Did they not have a holiday meeting at the beginning of the holidays?

When I have been on holiday you all meet in one place and have a free drink and the holiday rep, goes through all the dos and donts of the area. I would have thought this would have been mentioned and also if there were so many burglaries in the area, wouldn't they have also advised people of this and told them to lock up their valuables? All seems a bit relaxed to me.

IF it was an abduction I feel strongly it was an inside job. Someone knew what was going on, and had access to the front door.

Sure of it. This person also would not be a stranger to the child.

I just have a gut feeling about it, always have had. I believe she knew who took her and that is why there was no fuss.

It really would be for me an inside job, not a stranger or off chance.

IF she was abducted.

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #1259 on: January 13, 2014, 06:39:43 AM »

What I find astonishing is IF the great Scotland Yard had the names of 3 people who had taken the child, wouldnt they be giving this information to the Portugese police to go and arrest them. I am just living in an exasperated twilight zone here to think that there could be 3 men who are KNOWN to have taken the child in a bungled burglary and everyone is talking about them lol...

I mean hello there is the INTERNET, its EVERYWHERE.

WARNING WARNING WARNING, if you are one of the 3 bungling burglars on the 3rd May who went into flat 5A of PDL and took the child, then run like hell as the great SCOTLAND YARD have got shiny new bracelets for you...I mean are we really supposed to believe this rubbish....(grabs my packet of Rennies, and quickly checks my blood-pressure AGAIN).

I just feel like throwing my hands up in the end and saying ENOUGH is ENOUGH. This is getting silly now.