Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364674 times)

Silkywhiskers

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #2520 on: February 22, 2014, 06:46:28 PM »
Can anyone help me understand the CPS thing please?

I've read in numerous places now that their involvement indicates a British suspect, however, I don't know whether that's actually the case, or just 'wishful thinking' so to speak...

Do the CPS have a roll to play outside of UK suspects?

I'm not trying to be inflammatory by the way, I genuinely don't understand.

Here it is -

The CPS is the link between the police and the courts.

They assist in an investigation but only from a legal standpoint.

The actual investigation is driven by LE.  Once they feel they have a case they present it to the CPS who then go into the details to ensure the case is sound.

In this case we know the CPS are the ones who sent the Letters of Request.

We also know those letters had no requests to arrest or even to interview.

This in turn implies that the questioning has already been completed by the Brits, to the point the Prosecutors office is involved.

Who has ALREADY been questioned by the British police in this affair?

That is where the "names" are - with the British police, in the UK.  British subjects already interviewed...hmmm....I wonder who!!!!

Estuarine

« Reply #2521 on: February 22, 2014, 06:54:18 PM »
Here it is -

The CPS is the link between the police and the courts.

They assist in an investigation but only from a legal standpoint.

The actual investigation is driven by LE.  Once they feel they have a case they present it to the CPS who then go into the details to ensure the case is sound.

In this case we know the CPS are the ones who sent the Letters of Request.

We also know those letters had no requests to arrest or even to interview.

This in turn implies that the questioning has already been completed by the Brits, to the point the Prosecutors office is involved.

Who has ALREADY been questioned by the British police in this affair?

That is where the "names" are - with the British police, in the UK.  British subjects already interviewed...hmmm....I wonder who!!!!

I would add a bit. If a crime of murder or manslaughter is committed on foreign soil by a British national the case can be tried in UK in which case the foreign police force would be required to provide info.

Offline jassi

« Reply #2522 on: February 22, 2014, 07:02:18 PM »
Would I be right in assuming that this could only occur if the 'foreign' court decided not to prosecute ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Estuarine

« Reply #2523 on: February 22, 2014, 07:13:10 PM »
Would I be right in assuming that this could only occur if the 'foreign' court decided not to prosecute ?

I am not sure about that. I think we can pull rank in the case of murder and manslaughter by a UK citizen regardless of what the foreign judiciary may want. Mind you in this case I'd be happy to shove it off my pitch; no possibility of any one yelling "foul" then is there? 8(0(*

Silkywhiskers

« Reply #2524 on: February 22, 2014, 07:16:13 PM »

No.

A crime is a crime regardless of how another country views it.  Either or both can prosecute. 

BUT - the CPS does not involve itself with crimes committed outside its own jurisdiction by foreign nationals.

Their involvement at this "rapidly progressing" stage implies that the perps are British.

Offline jassi

« Reply #2525 on: February 22, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
I am not sure about that. I think we can pull rank in the case of murder and manslaughter by a UK citizen regardless of what the foreign judiciary may want. Mind you in this case I'd be happy to shove it off my pitch; no possibility of any one yelling "foul" then is there? 8(0(*

Oh, I'm sure that if that were to occur, British police would suddenly  be deemed as corrupt as those of 'Johnny Foreigner'
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2526 on: February 22, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
No.

A crime is a crime regardless of how another country views it.  Either or both can prosecute. 

BUT - the CPS does not involve itself with crimes committed outside its own jurisdiction by foreign nationals.

Their involvement at this "rapidly progressing" stage implies that the perps are British.

But not The McCanns.  So possibly there is a British suspect.  However, we do have to consider that Madeleine is a British Citizen agains whom a crime has been committed.
Never underestimate the rights of British Citizens, especially those who are Wards of Court.
British Citizens have Rights of Passage and a right to be protected.  Even against The Portuguese.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2527 on: February 22, 2014, 07:34:53 PM »
Yes, the McCann's!

Lol! ! Who else?   They are the only British POIs!

Its as plain as the nose on your face.

This statement shows everyone that your reasoning is way off...I would be very surprised if ONE person on this forum agrees with you

Cariad

« Reply #2528 on: February 22, 2014, 08:37:23 PM »
Thank you all for the clarification, you're all very kind.  ?{)(**

Estuarine

« Reply #2529 on: February 22, 2014, 09:20:45 PM »
Thank you all for the clarification, you're all very kind.  ?{)(**

Looks around to see which interlopers Cariad is addressing  8-)(--)

Offline pegasus

« Reply #2530 on: February 22, 2014, 11:28:44 PM »
Correio Da Manha 22/02/2014

Maddie Case: The McCanns give orders to the Judicial Police.

Parents of Madeleine suggest that the Portuguese police investigate along with the English.

After pressure from the British police, came the turn of the McCanns criticize the research work of the Judicial Police (PJ) and further cooperation between British and Portuguese authorities.

As the CM had already reported, the relationship between the British police and PJ started to get tense when Scotland Yard sent a third letter rogatory, a time that had not yet been completed the steps contained in the second judicial order.  The CM knows that many of the investigations, including interrogations, searches and analysis of bank accounts can not be authorized by the Public Prosecutor.

The British police, who opened a funded by the parents of Madeleine, who disappeared in May 2007 in the Algarve research, ensures that already has the names of three suspects.

On the other hand, PJ Harbour, who heads the investigation reopened in Portugal, following use, other than the parents of missing British child most like line.

According to British media, the McCanns say it's "frustrating" to see that cooperation between the two police forces "is not as it should be."  And pushing for a single investigation is made.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=pt&u=http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/detalhe/noticias/nacional/portugal/caso-maddie-os-mccann-dao-ordens-a-policia-judiciaria
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:43:29 AM by Admin »

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #2531 on: February 23, 2014, 12:43:12 AM »
Burglary files to aid hunt for Madeleine McCann

A SECRET dossier on burglars on the Algarve in Portugal is being shown to Scotland Yard detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

By: James Murray and Tracey KandohiaPublished: Sun, February 23, 2014
  0Comments

Portuguese police have kept the confidential file for years following a spate of break-ins in and around Praia da Luz, the resort from where Madeleine disappeared when she was three in May 2007.

Children were abused during some burglaries.

A businesswoman renting villas in the area confirmed: “Police have a special file on burglars operating in the area. Most of them are Portuguese and Romanian gypsies.

“Burglars go anywhere and ­everywhere in Luz and normally break in during the middle of the night when you’re asleep.

“Burglars come in and steal your stuff and sometimes you don’t know about it until you wake up in the morning.”

The woman, who does not wish to be named, said from her office in Lagos, four miles from Luz: “It’s been going on for years, well before Madeleine disappeared. Police here are aware of the problem but the public aren’t aware.” Yard detectives to whom the Portuguese break-ins dossier is being made available are reported to be focusing on three burglars who targeted people in Luz.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe disclosed last week how his officers and Portugal’s Policia Judiciaria are moving towards a joint investigation team and have the names of suspects.

Madeleine’s parents Kate and Gerry McCann, of Rothley, Leicestershire, believe their daughter, who would now be aged 10, could still be alive.

'It’s been going on for years, well before Madeleine disappeared'
A local businesswoman

Former GP Kate, 45, revealed in her book about Madeleine’s abduction that she had discovered five cases of British children being sexually attacked in their beds while on holiday.

She wrote: “It broke my heart to read the terrible accounts of devastated parents and the experiences of their poor children.

“British tourists in holiday accommodation were being targeted. It is so hard not to scream from the rooftops about how these crimes appear to have been brushed under the carpet.”

One British mother claims kidnappers may have tried to take her own young daughter just six weeks before Madeleine disappeared.

She claims that while she was staying at Montechoro, near Albufeira, 30 miles from Luz, a scruffy migrant from the former Soviet Union spiked her drink then tried to take her one-year-old blonde daughter to a getaway car.

The 30-year-old woman said: “It was terrifying, like something out of a film. I’ve given a statement to Scotland Yard and they are arranging to interview me again.

“I’ll do anything I can to help. I can’t be the only mum who has had a near-miss.”

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/461320/Burglary-files-to-aid-hunt-for-Madeleine-McCann

Redblossom

« Reply #2532 on: February 23, 2014, 12:46:05 AM »
Oh dear more dross for the week

Silkywhiskers

« Reply #2533 on: February 23, 2014, 12:54:25 AM »
Oh yes the "spate"of burglaries.

You do realise that a 100% increase in burglaries in PDL means 2 breakins instead of one?

But don't let the facts get in the way!

This incredibly successful team of thieves successfully stole a child then never repeated the action in the 7 years since?

The ease with which Madeleine was "taken" should have inspired a "spate" of child stealing but look! Only Madeleine in the years before or since.

Offline Benice

« Reply #2534 on: February 23, 2014, 01:29:20 AM »
Oh yes the "spate"of burglaries.

You do realise that a 100% increase in burglaries in PDL means 2 breakins instead of one?

But don't let the facts get in the way!

This incredibly successful team of thieves successfully stole a child then never repeated the action in the 7 years since?

The ease with which Madeleine was "taken" should have inspired a "spate" of child stealing but look! Only Madeleine in the years before or since.

Can you cite the evidence that 100% increase in break-ins in PdL means 2 break-ins - which you have just claimed as a fact?

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal