Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364780 times)

Offline pegasus

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #2970 on: May 07, 2014, 02:32:48 AM »
Search of that particular bit of land west of Rua 1 Maio is good idea simply because it is so near, just over road from block 4, and it was fenced, with long section of fence being high and opaque corrugated panels, and was probably unlit inside, so even though overlooked by various tall buildings it would be fairly difficult from those buildings to see anyone in there at night. All IMO

Offline jassi

« Reply #2971 on: May 07, 2014, 08:38:29 AM »
She was temporarily hidden around that wasteland area at 9-9.10 and was moved from there at 10 and minutes later passed the Smith family. The dogs may find something there and close to the church.

Thanks. Presumably she would have been left on the surface, rather than buried if this was just a temporary place - I wonder if the dogs could detect anything so many years after?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #2972 on: May 07, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »
Thanks. Presumably she would have been left on the surface, rather than buried if this was just a temporary place - I wonder if the dogs could detect anything so many years after?

That would be a great question to put to Martin Grime. If a dead body was temporarily hidden in a bush/ground for one hour and moved again could dogs detect the scent at that spot many years later? I've sent a PM with that question to Mr Moderator re Martin Grime.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:34:22 AM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2973 on: May 07, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »
That would be a great question to put to Martin Grime. If a dead body was temporarily hidden in a bush/ground for one hour and moved again could dogs detect the scent at that spot many years later? I've sent a PM with that question to Mr Moderator re Martin Grime.

according to a study the scent only lasts for 12 months in a room that is undisturbed so it would not last 7 years outside with wind and rain

Offline jassi

« Reply #2974 on: May 07, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
according to a study the scent only lasts for 12 months in a room that is undisturbed so it would not last 7 years outside with wind and rain

If that is the case, then maybe the dogs are going to be deployed in the area(s) where a body is thought most likely to be.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline valeria

« Reply #2975 on: May 07, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »
maybe you should ask Grime if cadaver scent can be deteced in freezer...in case they intend to search the freezers of Luz

Offline Admin

« Reply #2976 on: May 07, 2014, 03:15:43 PM »
Judge refused searches to homes of former Ocean Club employees.

Searches to the homes of former Ocean Club employees in Praia da Luz were some of the steps requested by British police and rejected by the Portuguese authorities as unfounded.

by Marisa Rodrigues

The judge to whom the requests contained in the letters rogatory were sent did not consider valid the arguments used by Scotland Yard. The [English] detectives wanted the Judiciary Police (PJ) to do house searches to people [simply] because they worked at the resort at the time when Madeleine disappeared, which made them “persons of interest”.

Another treatment was given to the requests for searches and excavations, using dogs and a georadar as resources, which were accepted as JN disclosed yesterday. The Public Prosecutor from Portimão, which holds the responsibility of analysing the formal requests for judicial cooperation, gave the green light to these steps - a turning point in the British investigation with Scotland Yard assuming for the first time the hypothesis that Madeleine is dead.

The sites were chosen for being prone to the disposal of a body. JN knows that this is the key argument used by Scotland Yard to substantiate the request for searches. The places are near to the apartment where the McCann family was staying during their holidays, in the beach and in a road which at the time was undergoing repairs. Another of the requests is for a georadar to be used in order to analyse and drill the soil and two dogs which alert to the presence of cadavers. Resources that Scotland Yard wants to bring from the UK. In case a deformation on the ground is detected there is a green light to proceed with the excavations. This is a process that could drag on for some time if the relevant places to be excavated belong to private owners or to State-owned road operators.

The next step is to define the operational strategy and set the date of the proceedings, tasks which are incumbent on the South Directorate of the PJ, responsible for carrying out the steps authorized by the prosecutor. The National Directorate of the PJ has to decide if the British detectives and experts can closely follow the actions that will always be performed by the Portuguese inspectors since Scotland Yard has no authority to act in Portugal. JN found that such a request was addressed to the Attorney General's Office and communicated informally to the Judiciary Police but for it to be appreciated, it must be formalized with the National Director of the PJ, which has not happened yet.

Sniffer Dogs

Scotland Yard regards the dogs that they want to use in the searches as “better” than Eddie and Keela, the sniffer dogs who alerted to blood and cadaver odour in the McCanns car and apartment at the Ocean Club resort.

Joint Investigation

Scotland Yard and Madeleine's parents argue that the constitution of a joint investigation team would accelerate the discovery of Madeleine and have criticized the “excessive bureaucracy” of the letters rogatory*.

The logistics required to implement these new endeavours are costly. JN knows they will be supported by the UK, which has already spent around EUR 7 million with this investigation.

Jornal de Notícias, paper edition (page 13)  on 7 May 2014.

www.jn.pt/PaginaInicial/Seguranca/Interior.aspx?content_id=3848072

Offline pegasus

« Reply #2977 on: May 07, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
...two dogs which alert to the presence of cadavers. Resources that Scotland Yard wants to bring from the UK. ....“better” than Eddie ...
www.jn.pt/PaginaInicial/Seguranca/Interior.aspx?content_id=3848072
So presumably that means the current two best UK EVRDs will be there.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2978 on: May 07, 2014, 03:24:09 PM »
If that is the case, then maybe the dogs are going to be deployed in the area(s) where a body is thought most likely to be.

The role of the dogs is to find physical evidence IMO ...

Offline jassi

« Reply #2979 on: May 07, 2014, 03:34:11 PM »
The role of the dogs is to find physical evidence IMO ...

I thought the point of the dogs is to indicate. It is up to humans to find and identify.

Or maybe not -

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2980 on: May 07, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
I thought the point of the dogs is to indicate. It is up to humans to find and identify.

EVRD...enhanced victim recovery...they are used to find bodies...victims or parts thereof..thats why they are so valuable...they find physical evidence

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #2981 on: May 07, 2014, 04:16:10 PM »
EVRD...enhanced victim recovery...they are used to find bodies...victims or parts thereof..thats why they are so valuable...they find physical evidence

So if a body is in a locked trunk, the dogs will unlock it and get to the body?  8-)(--)
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #2983 on: May 07, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »
Also to confirm a location were a body had previously been, although no longer there when the EVRD team arrives. For example the Maria Barrientos case, no body was found, although one could argue that some small physical bits might have been still there, but basically the ground had been skimmed and new topsoil added, yet still two EVRDs succeeded in the confirmation.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2984 on: May 07, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »
Also to confirm a location were a body had previously been, although no longer there when the EVRD team arrives. For example the Maria Barrientos case, no body was found, although one could argue that some small physical bits might have been still there, but basically the ground had been skimmed and new topsoil added, yet still two EVRDs succeeded in the confirmation.

Unless physical evidence is found they don't confirm anything..that's what Grime says