Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1364786 times)

Offline John

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #3645 on: August 24, 2014, 02:03:53 AM »
Now that the August siesta is virtually over and the families with children are returning home it is time for the shenanigans to recommence in Luz.

We are now left with three persons of interest who have rightly been afforded arguido status which provides them with all possible rights under the law, the last thing we would want is anyone getting stitched up now would we?  Hope one of them isn't called Barry or George though!   ?{)(**
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:42:48 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #3646 on: August 24, 2014, 02:44:41 AM »

23 August 2014

Scotland Yard returns to Portugal to investigate the Maddie case

British authorities continue investigation into Maddie's disappearance in Portugal next month.

Scotland Yard, the British police, are to return to Portugal in September to continue to investigate the case of the disappearance of Maddie. After several weeks of negotiations between the Portuguese and British authorities, the return of the Scotland Yard to Praia da Luz in the Algarve has been agreed.

According to British newspaper 'The Mirror', to the British authorities this is the most crucial time of the event. At least seven members of the British police will arrive next month, with permission to interrogate the seven suspects indicted earlier this year. Three of the suspects have been questioned previously.

Article
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:20:00 PM by Mr Moderator »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Mr Moderator

« Reply #3647 on: August 25, 2014, 07:16:50 PM »
Two months on, Scotland Yard to return to Praia da Luz next week.

CMTV report in Portuguese.

www.cmtv.sapo.pt/detalhe.aspx?channelID=34F5E1B7-BABF-4C08-83FC-20AF9E097CDA&contentID=9B73F7F6-CABE-4AE1-A004-A2E2B29892E4
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:33:55 AM by John »

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #3648 on: August 25, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »
Now that the August siesta is virtually over and the families with children are returning home it is time for the shenanigans to recommence in Luz.

We are now left with three persons of interest who have rightly been afforded arguido status which provides them with all possible rights under the law, the last thing we would want is anyone getting stitched up now would we?  Hope one of them isn't called Barry or George though!   ?{)(**

O Forum Owner sire; being "stitched up" is de rigeur in Portugal where the judiciary is notoriously bent dishonest. I know this to be true I have read many posts to that effect on this very forum and all posters without exception say they tell the truth. Verily I have pondered long and hard on this paradox being unable to reconcile the apparent lawlessness in Portugal and our FCO's reluctance to advise us not to go there or even issue a warning that we take our destiny in our hands when we visit.Perhaps it is little different from anywhere beyond the soggy bit at Dover do you think?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3649 on: August 26, 2014, 02:54:45 AM »
Two months on, Scotland Yard to return to Praia da Luz next week.

CMTV report in Portuguese.

www.cmtv.sapo.pt/detalhe.aspx?channelID=34F5E1B7-BABF-4C08-83FC-20AF9E097CDA&contentID=9B73F7F6-CABE-4AE1-A004-A2E2B29892E4
At 46 seconds in that video we see UK police putting up two posters on a wall presumably in PDL, one in english and the other in portuguese,  with the two photofits on.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:58:59 AM by pegasus »

Offline John

« Reply #3650 on: August 26, 2014, 03:31:36 AM »

Looks like they are still seeking SMITHMAN.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 03:37:51 AM by John »

Offline Carana

« Reply #3651 on: August 26, 2014, 08:07:19 AM »
At 46 seconds in that video we see UK police putting up two posters on a wall presumably in PDL, one in english and the other in portuguese,  with the two photofits on.

They look more like journalists than UK cops. Aren't those the Sun posters?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3652 on: August 26, 2014, 08:34:06 AM »

Archive footage; I don't thing the Met team will be starting interviews until September.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #3653 on: August 26, 2014, 09:21:21 AM »
It certainly was right that witnesses could request to be made arguidos.

I don't know if it still is.

Slightly disturbing, in one sense, that there is that provision. 

Informal witnesses are obliged to answer all questions put to them (they cannot invoke the right of silence).

But the quid pro quo is that neither can they be asked leading or incriminating questions.

Only after the arguido status has been imposed may a more aggressive line of questioning be pursued. 

If a witness feels compelled to request arguido status, that can only be because the line of questioning has become more aggressive or inquisitorial ...

There were some changes in the August 2007 code regarding witnesses.

I'm not sure what you mean by "informal witness", FM.

My understanding is that there can be informal and formal interviews. For me, "informal" questioning could be e.g., an officer just asking around if someone has any useful information and, if so, would be brought in for formal questioning (i.e., to make an official statement).

Formal questioning can be as a witness or as an arguido.

As interviews aren't recorded, the dodgy aspect is the potential for blurring the distinction between an "informal chat" and the formal questioning.

Summarising the bold parts concerning the rights and duties of a witness:

d) Responder com verdade às perguntas que lhe forem dirigidas.
To respond to questions addressed to [him/her] truthfully (as you've said).

2 - A testemunha não é obrigada a responder a perguntas quando alegar que das respostas resulta a sua responsabilização penal.
The witness is not obliged to answer questions when it is claimed that the replies could result in his / her criminal responsibility.

4 - Sempre que deva prestar depoimento, ainda que no decurso de acto vedado ao público, a testemunha pode fazer-se acompanhar de advogado, que a informa, quando entender necessário, dos direitos que lhe assistem, sem intervir na inquirição.
While [the witness] must make a statement /testify, even when [... something], the witness may be accompanied by a lawyer who informs [the witness], when deemed necessary, of rights that assist him/her, without intervening in the questioning.

- Lei n.º 48/2007, de 29 de Agosto

Artigo 132.º
Direitos e deveres da testemunha
1 - Salvo quando a lei dispuser de forma diferente, incumbem à testemunha os deveres de:
a) Se apresentar, no tempo e no lugar devidos, à autoridade por quem tiver sido legitimamente convocada ou notificada, mantendo-se à sua disposição até ser por ela desobrigada;
b) Prestar juramento, quando ouvida por autoridade judiciária;
c) Obedecer às indicações que legitimamente lhe forem dadas quanto à forma de prestar depoimento;
d) Responder com verdade às perguntas que lhe forem dirigidas.
2 - A testemunha não é obrigada a responder a perguntas quando alegar que das respostas resulta a sua responsabilização penal.

3 - Para o efeito de ser notificada, a testemunha pode indicar a sua residência, o local de trabalho ou outro domicílio à sua escolha.
4 - Sempre que deva prestar depoimento, ainda que no decurso de acto vedado ao público, a testemunha pode fazer-se acompanhar de advogado, que a informa, quando entender necessário, dos direitos que lhe assistem, sem intervir na inquirição.
5 - Não pode acompanhar testemunha, nos termos do número anterior, o advogado que seja defensor de arguido no processo.
http://www.pgdlisboa.pt/leis/lei_mostra_articulado.php?nid=929&tabela=leis&ficha=1&pagina=1&so_miolo=

Offline Carana

« Reply #3654 on: August 26, 2014, 09:24:05 AM »
Archive footage; I don't thing the Met team will be starting interviews until September.

The footage doesn't seem that old: isn't that the Sun banner at the top and the two versions of the "Smithman" e-fit? A bit blurry, so hard to tell.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3655 on: August 26, 2014, 11:09:54 AM »
The footage doesn't seem that old: isn't that the Sun banner at the top and the two versions of the "Smithman" e-fit? A bit blurry, so hard to tell.

I think it is probably just after the CW appeal or to co-incide with the digs taking place a couple of months ago.  I don't think it is in relation to the next part of the process due to start shortly.
I also don't think Smithman has as yet been eliminated from the inquiry either as a suspect or an innocent person or there would have been a statement to that effect.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #3656 on: August 26, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
I think it is probably just after the CW appeal or to co-incide with the digs taking place a couple of months ago.  I don't think it is in relation to the next part of the process due to start shortly.
I also don't think Smithman has as yet been eliminated from the inquiry either as a suspect or an innocent person or there would have been a statement to that effect.

I agree.

It seems to me as if it could well have been taken during the recent land searches (I wasn't sure what you meant by archive material), posted by Sun reporters.

I'm not sure if there would be a public statement from the Met if Smithman had been identified as someone irrelevant unless there is a new focus for a public appeal.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3657 on: August 26, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »
I agree.

It seems to me as if it could well have been taken during the recent land searches (I wasn't sure what you meant by archive material), posted by Sun reporters.

I'm not sure if there would be a public statement from the Met if Smithman had been identified as someone irrelevant unless there is a new focus for a public appeal.

I'm of the opinion they know exactly what and maybe even who they want to look at and I think a lot is hinging on the people they wish to interview as witnesses at the moment.
Initially I thought these were just to 'tidy up' and explain anomalies in the initial files; but my thinking is turning more and more to their actual pursuit of leads and not just looking for a lead to follow by re-interviewing those who made statements at the time.

Offline sadie

« Reply #3658 on: August 26, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »
I'm of the opinion they know exactly what and maybe even who they want to look at and I think a lot is hinging on the people they wish to interview as witnesses at the moment.
Initially I thought these were just to 'tidy up' and explain anomalies in the initial files; but my thinking is turning more and more to their actual pursuit of leads and not just looking for a lead to follow by re-interviewing those who made statements at the time.

Me too.

I think the same, but I do think that additionally, they want to clean out any "disinformation" leads.

To have a clear run at it.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #3659 on: August 27, 2014, 12:50:48 AM »
Maddie: British police returns to the Algarve in September

google translate from The Sol
http://www.sol.pt/noticia/113886

SOL SOL | 25/08/2014 11:06:11 899 visits     
Maddie: Polícia britânica regressa ao Algarve em Setembro
Seven officers from Scotland Yard should return to the Algarve as early as next month, under the case of Madeleine McCann, advances the British newspaper 'The Mirror'.

This team should decide which way forward regarding the investigation. The same paper advances that the authorities should interrogate seven persons, three for the second time.

Madeleine McCann disappeared from Praia da Luz in the Algarve in May 2007 British police have done everything to find the girl, having been in Portugal in July to conduct searches in that area.

I wonder who are the 4 people that weren't questioned before?