Author Topic: Parenting.  (Read 11903 times)

Offline Sunny

Re: Parenting.
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 06:50:00 AM »
It's a fact that poor children have less chance of doing well in school than middle class children, but that isn't because they are less able, it's because the educational system favours the middle class child.
https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2018/mar/02/working-class-children-born-to-fail-teachers-disadvantaged-pupils

I have always felt that the main problem is that parents from poorer backgrounds don't expect their children to do well so don't encourage and help their children in their studies.  This is not a criticism of the parents only stating a fact as I have personal knowledge of this.   Sadly as the parents have not achieved a highly skilled and highly paid job they don't expect their offspring to do so.

There are exceptions and I know of one or two young people who have proved this too.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »

I believe compulsory sterilization has already been tried. and is still being implemented in some cultures.

Blimey am I beginning to sound like Margaret Sanger?   8(8-))
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2018, 11:05:10 AM »
It's a fact that poor children have less chance of doing well in school than middle class children, but that isn't because they are less able, it's because the educational system favours the middle class child.
https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2018/mar/02/working-class-children-born-to-fail-teachers-disadvantaged-pupils

It's also a fact that children brought up by parents with 'attitude' do less well too!
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2018, 11:18:24 AM »
I have always felt that the main problem is that parents from poorer backgrounds don't expect their children to do well so don't encourage and help their children in their studies.  This is not a criticism of the parents only stating a fact as I have personal knowledge of this.   Sadly as the parents have not achieved a highly skilled and highly paid job they don't expect their offspring to do so.

There are exceptions and I know of one or two young people who have proved this too.

I'm currently reading 'Becoming' by Michelle Obama nee Robinson.  Her parents were working class people who lived in a rented apartment in a poor area of Chicago.  However they encouraged their children, Michelle and her older brother Craig, to aim high.  Both ended up at Princeton Uni with Craig going into investment banking and Michelle law.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »
It's also a fact that children brought up by parents with 'attitude' do less well too!

Any teacher will favour a compliant child to a challenging one. I was a mature student and the middle class youngsters wouldn't speak in seminars. It became clear to me that they saw their role as accepting, learning and regurgitating what they were taught rather than thinking and forming opinions about it. That's fine for some subjects, but this was a Politics degree!
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2018, 12:30:38 PM »
Any teacher will favour a compliant child to a challenging one. I was a mature student and the middle class youngsters wouldn't speak in seminars. It became clear to me that they saw their role as accepting, learning and regurgitating what they were taught rather than thinking and forming opinions about it. That's fine for some subjects, but this was a Politics degree!

But there's challenging and there's challenging!

Offline Caroline

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 03:57:20 PM »
But should it?! 

Listening to Radio 4 this morning it seems many baby banks are now springing up which work along the same lines as food banks. 

In the following article Bianca, mum of 2, says she feels embarrassed by having to use such a facility and yet she is pregnant with her third child.  I don't wish to sound horribly judgmental or a right wing zealot but why would you want to bring a third child into the world if you're relying on charity to support your existing two?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/thousands-desperate-parents-relying-baby-13489511

Wow Holly! She also states that she works FULL TIME. Don't you think it disgusting that someone who works full time is STILL affected by poverty? 

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 05:27:02 PM »
Wow Holly! She also states that she works FULL TIME. Don't you think it disgusting that someone who works full time is STILL affected by poverty?

Yes, I do!

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 08:27:10 PM »

Bringing up children isn't cheap.  From memory the case we are referring to involves a woman with two children and a third on the way.  We have reliable and free contraception in the UK if you can't afford children don't have them and/or don't complain if you have to turn to charity to support them.

The average earned income in UK is 27k/28k pa.  By comparison Neymar Jnr earns some 775k per week and this is for playing football only ie doesn't include sponsorship's etc.  He can pretty much afford to have whatever money can buy and no doubt has several homes/cars.  Someone earning 27k/28k pa doesn't have the luxury of choosing whether or not to have several homes/cars.  I really don't see the difference with children? 

I believe in a living wage as opposed to a minimum wage and think it's unreasonable that anyone in UK should be expected to work for less than about ten pound an hour.   

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 11:16:49 AM »
Bringing up children isn't cheap.  From memory the case we are referring to involves a woman with two children and a third on the way.  We have reliable and free contraception in the UK if you can't afford children don't have them and/or don't complain if you have to turn to charity to support them.

The average earned income in UK is 27k/28k pa.  By comparison Neymar Jnr earns some 775k per week and this is for playing football only ie doesn't include sponsorship's etc.  He can pretty much afford to have whatever money can buy and no doubt has several homes/cars.  Someone earning 27k/28k pa doesn't have the luxury of choosing whether or not to have several homes/cars.  I really don't see the difference with children? 

I believe in a living wage as opposed to a minimum wage and think it's unreasonable that anyone in UK should be expected to work for less than about ten pound an hour.

So only those who are lucky enough to earn a decent wage should have children? So what of those who earn a decent wage, have children and then have an life limiting accident or illness? What about those already existing children? Should they send them back, abandon them or what?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 06:24:19 PM »
So only those who are lucky enough to earn a decent wage should have children? So what of those who earn a decent wage, have children and then have an life limiting accident or illness? What about those already existing children? Should they send them back, abandon them or what?
Sell them.  Kill two birds with one stone.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline John

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2019, 05:52:52 PM »

Some women are forced to get pregnant by husbands.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »

There are just SOOOOOOOO many thing wrong with that attitude!

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 11:25:47 AM »

I always tried to spot disasters before they happened, and then avoid them.  I never had a disaster with any of mine so I must have been doing something right.

However, my children were allowed out and about on their own, but with sensible warnings.  And I have been known to leave them alone at night for limited periods.

They were all potty trained by 18 months, and I don't remember that being really hard work.

I have never once considered myself to be a perfect parent.  Far from it.  It's a minefield, so maybe I was blessed with good fortune.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2019, 03:41:20 PM »
Some women are forced to get pregnant by husbands.

In which case surely the husband is responsible for paying maintenance?