Author Topic: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!  (Read 240848 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: Jeremy Corbyn for PM!!
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2015, 08:10:36 AM »
Another honest man in my opinion. The point isn't whether people agree on everything. Coalition governments with differing views manage to reach a consensus, so why can't a party containing people with different views do so?
Hmmm, this article is worth a read IMO... http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/13/jeremy-corbyn-followers-disillusion-labour-party

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2015, 08:56:32 AM »
Hmmm, this article is worth a read IMO... http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/13/jeremy-corbyn-followers-disillusion-labour-party

Thanks, Alfred.

Joking aside, and I have done my fair share of that,  only two things are possible.  Corbyn is right or Corbyn is wrong.  So it might be best to wait and watch for a while, and cast personal doubts aside.
Yes, I know this is a load of waffle, especially from me and where I have been sitting for the last twenty years, and paying little attention beyond my State Pension.
But let's face it, none of them seem up to much to me. So can it get any worse?

I do admire Hilary Ben as I did his father before him, neither of them being of my political persuasion, so the appointment of Hilary Ben to The Shadow Cabinet pulled me up short for a minute, although it shouldn't have been a surprise.  It just reminded me that there are honest left wing politicians.  So I am not going to assume that Left Wing Labour have got no chance.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2015, 09:16:51 AM »

I see the Bennite left gets a mention. Tony Benn was another honest man of principle who was the target of much abuse and then became a 'national treasure'.

I don't think people of principle can succeed in the UK political system, but I admire them for trying. Corbyn was disclosed during the expenses scandal as having claimed the least expenses of any MP. Dave Nellist never drew his full salary, he only took 40% of it and donated the rest to good causes. 

Should Corbyn or any other left-wing Labour leader ever become Prime Minister they will face all the problems which Tony Benn identified as hampering the Labour Government he served in;

How "the Civil Service can frustrate the policies and decisions of popularly elected governments";
The centralised nature of the Labour Party allowing to the Leader to run "the Party almost as if it were his personal kingdom"
"The power of industrialists and bankers to get their way by use of the crudest form of economic pressure, even blackmail, against a Labour Government"; and
The power of the media, which "like the power of the medieval Church, ensures that events of the day are always presented from the point of the view of those who enjoy economic privilege.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Benn

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Thanks, Alfred.

Joking aside, and I have done my fair share of that,  only two things are possible.  Corbyn is right or Corbyn is wrong.  So it might be best to wait and watch for a while, and cast personal doubts aside.
Yes, I know this is a load of waffle, especially from me and where I have been sitting for the last twenty years, and paying little attention beyond my State Pension.

I do admire Hilary Ben as I did his father before him, neither of them being of my political persuasion, so the appointment of Hilary Ben to The Shadow Cabinet pulled me up short for a minute, although it shouldn't have been a surprise.  It just reminded me that there are honest left wing politicians.  So I am not going to assume that Left Wing Labour have got no chance.

If they get fair reporting from the media they might survive, but that's most unlikely. If the party unites behind them  that would help, but that's also unlikely. The Tories will have to box clever because their tactics against Farage backfired significantly and made him more popular. My reading of that was that he seemed sincere and those attacking him didn't.

Corbyn, like all politicians, will be right about some things and wrong about others. What these people do have is honesty and integrity. We haven't seen much evidence of that in other politicians for a while, but will it be enough?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Lyall

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2015, 09:58:47 AM »
Thanks, Alfred.

Hilary doesn't share most of his dad's politics, and he's not a new appointment (he was in Blair and Brown cabinets).

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »
If they get fair reporting from the media they might survive, but that's most unlikely. If the party unites behind them  that would help, but that's also unlikely. The Tories will have to box clever because their tactics against Farage backfired significantly and made him more popular. My reading of that was that he seemed sincere and those attacking him didn't.

Corbyn, like all politicians, will be right about some things and wrong about others. What these people do have is honesty and integrity. We haven't seen much evidence of that in other politicians for a while, but will it be enough?

I honestly don't know, G Unit.  You almost certainly have a greater understanding than I, of politics in general, which is how it must be looked at.
Didn't someone famously say that any Party in power for long enough would ultimately get it right?  I remember thinking at the time that this was probably correct on an ideological level.

I do actually agree with some of Corbyn's policies, sad I am to admit it.  But printing millions of pounds of extra money is crazy.

So The Left could have five years.  Five years of future voters growing up, who have no knowledge of previous left wing disasters, and I doubt that many of them will have any understanding of economics.  I don't have all that much myself beyond your average housewife balancing a budget, which hardly anyone worries about these days.  Just pull out the credit card and pay the interest at the end of the month.  Something that my generation wasn't prone to.

I saved really seriously in my years of working here often foregoing luxuries, in the mistaken belief that the interest would help my State Pension, even if only by 10 or 15 Pounds a week.  And we all know how that turned out.

No, I'm not really complaining because I manage okay.  I have always been borderline broke, having put three children through Boarding School because The State System was so awful.  But it all comes down to me in the end.  What could Jeremy Corbyn do for me?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2015, 10:27:16 AM »
Hilary doesn't share most of his dad's politics, and he's not a new appointment (he was in Blair and Brown cabinets).

But he is an honest man.  His expenses claims were one of the lowest on record.  And I believe that he will bring some sense to this.

Sheesh, perhaps I should join The Party.  I can just about manage the three quid.

stephen25000

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2015, 10:32:33 AM »
But he is an honest man.  His expenses claims were one of the lowest on record.  And I believe that he will bring some sense to this.

Sheesh, perhaps I should join The Party.  I can just about manage the three quid.

His appointment of the new Shadow Chancellor could cause problems, as he has scores to settle with the Blair supporters.

Apparently, he is quite caustic.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2015, 10:48:28 AM »
His appointment of the new Shadow Chancellor could cause problems, as he has scores to settle with the Blair supporters.

Apparently, he is quite caustic.

Please tell me who is the new Shadow Chancellor.  I have read so many names, and I am new to this political appraisement after twenty years of trying to ignore it all.  I did think that I knew what was going on back before I left.  But I am now beginning to wonder.

So not all bad at the moment.  At least some of The Electorate are paying attention.

Lyall

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »
Please tell me who is the new Shadow Chancellor.  I have read so many names, and I am new to this political appraisement after twenty years of trying to ignore it all.  I did think that I knew what was going on back before I left.  But I am now beginning to wonder.

So not all bad at the moment.  At least some of The Electorate are paying attention.

John McDonnell is the new shadow Chancellor. Both he and Corbyn - for very good reasons - detest mainstream media. There will be fireworks ahead.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »
John McDonnell is the new shadow Chancellor. Both he and Corbyn - for very good reasons - detest mainstream media. There will be fireworks ahead.

McDonnell, eh?  Oh Dear. My Clan.  Things have just got a bit more complicated.

Lyall

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2015, 11:34:44 AM »
I honestly don't know, G Unit.  You almost certainly have a greater understanding than I, of politics in general, which is how it must be looked at.
Didn't someone famously say that any Party in power for long enough would ultimately get it right?  I remember thinking at the time that this was probably correct on an ideological level.

I do actually agree with some of Corbyn's policies, sad I am to admit it.  But printing millions of pounds of extra money is crazy.

So The Left could have five years.  Five years of future voters growing up, who have no knowledge of previous left wing disasters, and I doubt that many of them will have any understanding of economics.  I don't have all that much myself beyond your average housewife balancing a budget, which hardly anyone worries about these days.  Just pull out the credit card and pay the interest at the end of the month.  Something that my generation wasn't prone to.

I saved really seriously in my years of working here often foregoing luxuries, in the mistaken belief that the interest would help my State Pension, even if only by 10 or 15 Pounds a week.  And we all know how that turned out.

No, I'm not really complaining because I manage okay.  I have always been borderline broke, having put three children through Boarding School because The State System was so awful.  But it all comes down to me in the end.  What could Jeremy Corbyn do for me?

He may not be able to do very much for you, I don't know. But unless people fight, the 'Conservatives' (not that the lot currently in charge are actually traditional conservatives) intend to a) make the rich richer by making the poor poorer, and b) further erode worker's rights hard won by decades of struggle.

He may not be able to make things better for you but the fight is stop Osborne's plans to make things worse, for everyone.

Lyall

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2015, 11:38:43 AM »
McDonnell, eh?  Oh Dear. My Clan.  Things have just got a bit more complicated.

Imagine George Galloway being made shadow Chancellor. McDonnell's appointment is almost as revolutionary.

Lyall

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
@johnmcdonnellMP: "A call: 'I'm a journalist from The Sun'
'I said: "You can be one or the other but not both"

@)(++(*

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2015, 12:09:41 PM »
@johnmcdonnellMP: "A call: 'I'm a journalist from The Sun'
'I said: "You can be one or the other but not both"

@)(++(*