Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853612 times)

OxfordBloo

You seem to be suggesting that no public servant (At least in PT) can write their memoirs?

Not if they use privileged information about individuals.

Do you think a lawyer would be free to write their memoir quoting from notes with client privilege?

Do you think a Family Court judge could write about the confidential cases before her on retirement.

Do you think your GP should be able to write about your venereal disease in his memoir.

This is what Amaral has done and been sanctioned for.

He is free to talk about his friends, his general experiences and the method of ordering coffee mugs, but not to use information that was received in confidence.

Offline G-Unit

I am sure that those making donations to his legal fees are content to do so but it could be a long running thing for them if an appeal is allowed and he takes the process to exhaustion, which in theory could be several years down the line.

Sometimes it is better all round to accept defeat gracefully and allow everyone ~ including Mr Amaral ~ to get on with the important things in life.

Yes, I do believe the ruling of the Portuguese Court leaves his reputation in tatters; as a matter of interest what is the ratio of Portuguese doners to the cause in relation to British ones?

The donors on the 'go fund me' page are varied. UK, Portugal, Australia, USA. If he doesn't appeal he will give all his money to the McCanns. If he appeals he may not. Makes sense to try it then imo.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Carana

So the judge, in a civil case, has decided that Gonçalo Amaral's actions were unlawful?

Have you come to a different conclusion? If so, on what basis?

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!

Monster who made a mint out of Madeliene

Snippet from paper.

Adoring women flock around him, chanting his name, throwing red roses and blowing him kisses.
Smiling and waving, their idol laps up the attention, posing for photos, signing autographs and even giving a lucky few a peck on the cheek.
For all the world you may have thought the man at the centre of of the fuss and flashing a diamond earring stud, was a ageing pop star greeting his fans at the stage door.
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline Brietta

The donors on the 'go fund me' page are varied. UK, Portugal, Australia, USA. If he doesn't appeal he will give all his money to the McCanns. If he appeals he may not. Makes sense to try it then imo.

Doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.  Whatever money you think will go to Madeleine's Fund has already been denied to him for some years, a long running appeal will only exacerbate that situation.

I have seen it said elsewhere on the forum that his appeal could result in a greater award being made to Madeleine's Fund than the one he presently faces, it will certainly lead to greater legal expenses being accrued, but as long as there are those willing and able to contribute to those ... not really his problem.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Alfred R Jones

Snippet from paper.

Adoring women flock around him, chanting his name, throwing red roses and blowing him kisses.
Smiling and waving, their idol laps up the attention, posing for photos, signing autographs and even giving a lucky few a peck on the cheek.
For all the world you may have thought the man at the centre of of the fuss and flashing a diamond earring stud, was a ageing pop star greeting his fans at the stage door.
  Hilarious - and every word true! 

Offline faithlilly

That is very useful.

So no appeal on Proven Facts.

Amaral was a retired police officer and he did use privileged information.

So the judgement is only open to appeal on grounds of interpretation of the law.

I think the irony is if he had made the book up, as some have claimed, rather than adhering to the information in the files then he would be home and dry now.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Jean-Pierre

I think the irony is if he had made the book up, as some have claimed, rather than adhering to the information in the files then he would be home and dry now.

Well had he made clear it was complete fiction, he would not have sold more than a handful of copies.  So would not have done any damage to the McCanns.  I fear your idol is not author material.

Offline Carana

I just find it sad.

He had quite a few opportunities open to him.

He could have completed his career in the PJ (assuming he hadn't been invited to seek other career prospects elsewhere).

He could have written a different type of book, which could still have been a best-seller.

He could have drawn on his experience to write a column or appear as one of the usual ex-cop pundits on other cases.

Admittedly, such options wouldn't have had the lure of €380k+ earned in a mere two years, nor a soar to the giddy heights of the media limelight, but he could have enjoyed a certain media glow and a decent income for years to come.

And none of that required standing on the shoulders of a family floundering in the midst of a personal tragedy, let alone on those of a little missing child whose fate remains unknown.

Offline Montclair

Snippet from paper.

Where do they get this cr*p?

Offline jassi

I believe its what passes for 'responsible journalism'  @)(++(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

OxfordBloo

But certain supporters of a certain age and certain gender do flock around him and the PJ. Remember the 'nesting for the PJ' threads on the 3As?

Offline DCI

From the paper.

Or read here http://www.mccannfiles.com/id232.html

Monster who made a mint out of Maddie The Sun (paper edition, pages 36&37)

EIGHT YEARS ON, HOW 'SUPER SLEUTH' FAILED THE McCANNS

By ANTONELLA LAZZERI
Saturday, May 2, 2015

ADORING women flock around him, chanting his name, throwing red roses and blowing him kisses.

For all the world you may have thought the man at the centre of the fuss and flashing a diamond earring stud was an ageing pop star greeting his fans at the stage door.

In fact the setting was the entrance to Lisbon's Palace of Justice and the man was former Portuguese police chief Goncalo Amaral.

This is the man Madeleine McCann's parents hold responsible for virtually destroying every hope there was of finding their daughter in the first crucial hours and days after she went missing on May 3, 2007.

And he is a man who has continued to add to their torment in the years since by claiming over and over that their beloved daughter is dead.

He has raked in nearly £400,000 from spouting these claims in a book and TV documentary.

He even hired an agent and was at one time charging £75,000 for an interview.

Before long he was driving a flashy Jag and living in a plush villa.

Tomorrow marks the eighth anniversary of the disappearance of Madeleine, who was three years old.

The scenes of Amaral preening in front of besotted fans outside court were witnessed by parents Kate and Gerry more than two years after that terrible night.

'Kate driven to tears by missed opportunities'

It was December 11, 2009, and incredibly, it was the first time Kate had ever set eyes on him.

As the mum was to write later in her book Madeleine: "It was also the first time he had laid eyes on me.

"It is extraordinary that he could have said and written so many awful things about a person he had never met."

This week the couple finally won their libel battle against Amaral that had begun back on that December day more than five years ago. He was ordered to pay them £433,000 and his book, The Truth of the Lie, was banned.

Kate, 46, has mostly kept a dignified silence on the subject of Amaral, but in one interview she revealed how son Sean, now nine, had told her: "Mr Amaral said you hid Madeleine."

When Madeleine disappeared from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, Amaral, now 56, was quickly drafted in as the super-sleuth who would crack the case.

At the time he was the co-ordinator of the Policia Judiciaria's Criminal Investigation Department in Portimao.

But during the investigation he only met Gerry once and seemingly had not thought it relevant to even meet, let alone talk to, the mother of the child he was tasked with finding.

This isn't surprising given Amaral's arrogance and self-importance. Having met him several times he is unlike any police chief I have ever known.

At court, in his heavy gold chain and with his bulging belly, he conducted himself like a celebrity.

He gave TV interviews at every opportunity and wined and dined his fans – who all seemed to be women of a certain age with a fondness for bright red lipstick and fur coats – over long lunches.

Back in October 2007 it was his comments made during a similar lunch that saw him taken off Madeleine's case.

Journalists overheard him loudly complaining that the McCanns were getting special treatment because they were from the UK, and criticising British police. He was removed after his comments were reported.

But it was surprising that Amaral was ever in charge in the first place.

Because at the time he was himself an "arguido" – an official suspect – in a case involving another mother of a missing child.

He was being investigated for falsifying documents in a case involving three of his officers accused of torturing the missing girl's mum and uncle to get their confessions.

Little Joana Cipriano, eight, had disappeared in September 2004 from her village seven miles from Praia da Luz. She has never been found. The officers were cleared, but in May 2009 Amaral was convicted of perjury and received an 18-month suspended sentence.

Years later, as Kate combed through police files, she was to be driven to tears of frustration and rage by all the missed opportunities. So many leads and sightings had simply not been followed up.

The reason? From an early stage in the investigation, as Amaral later admitted in his book, he decided Madeleine had died in an accident.

Then, he reckoned, her parents panicked, hid her body and made up the story about her abduction.

So while Kate and Gerry were clinging to the hope that a huge manhunt would soon bring their daughter back to them, Amaral's team were in fact searching for clues and evidence to implicate them.

Even the cop assigned to be the McCanns' family liaison officer was in fact looking for hints of guilt, it emerged during the libel case.

Conclusions based on bizarre 'evidence'

One night, he told the court, Kate had phoned him to beg for a hilltop in Praia da Luz to be searched, because she had had a dream that Madeleine was buried there.

From this, he reported back to Amaral, he believed that Kate was admitting Madeleine was dead – further proof of the couples "guilt".

It seems absurd that a top police chief would base his conclusions on bizarre "evidence" such as this. And yet, much to Kate and Gerry's complete despair, he did.

No wonder Kate wrote in her book: "What probably galls me the most about Amaral's interviews is the way he presents himself as a person who, perhaps above all others, really wants to find Madeleine and get to the bottom of her fate.

"I cannot begin to express how much this outrages me."

Amaral began his attacks on the McCanns soon after being taken off the case and in July 2008 published his book, a bestseller in Portugal.

Amaral is well thought of in Portugal and his utterings were clearly turning locals against the McCanns.

As Kate told me despairingly: "If people believe Madeleine is dead they will stop searching for her." Yet she never wanted to enter into a long libel battle against him.

It was Portuguese lawyer Isabel Duarte who told Kate and Gerry, 46, that they had no choice but to do it, declaring: "That man has accused you of burying your daughter!"

Meanwhile, Amaral's second wife Sofia Leal, 45 – with whom he has a daughter the same age as Madeleine – has said he has been "completely destroyed" by the case.

And recently Amaral himself, who is now retired, said: "It's hard to accept that I have to live this way just because I did my job."

For Kate and Gerry those words must cut deep.

Because they believe if Amaral HAD done his job their beloved Madeleine may now be with them.

Offline DCI

But certain supporters of a certain age and certain gender do flock around him and the PJ. Remember the 'nesting for the PJ' threads on the 3As?

Ah Yes! I remember it well  8**8:/:

Offline G-Unit

It's the Sun isn't it? Do they print anything else? Whoops! They serialised Kate's book didn't they? Me bad.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0