Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853777 times)

OxfordBloo

Of course, Gonçalo Amaral is going to appeal, you can be sure of that. BTW, this decision is not enforceable yet until all appeals have been exhausted (that is if the higher courts uphold that decision).

Wait and see. Can he afford to appeal? Will he be able to present a case with a chance of success?

Offline faithlilly

He was found liable for publishing a book for profit using privileged information nd ignoring his responsibility to maintain the innocence of people.

Perhaps you can point out where the judge mentions Amaral's reasons for publishing his book and admonishes him for them ?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:35:19 AM by Faithlilly »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline G-Unit

The McCanns are entitled to be presumed innocent in law by anyone involved in the Judicial process. Since when did the UK papers print truth?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 02:20:29 PM by John »
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

stephen25000

Are you innocent?

You enjoy the right to be considered innocent until proven guilty,in case you were unaware of it ... just as the McCanns have the right to exactly the same presumption of innocence.

Well as regards this case, I wasn't in Portugal on the 3 rd May 2007.

Were you ?

Offline jassi

The McCanns are entitled to be presumed innocent in law by anyone involved in the Judicial process. Since when did the UK papers print truth?

'Presumed' is the word.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 02:20:45 PM by John »
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

Many sensible people disagree with you. The McCanns are entitled to be presumed innocent in law by anyone involved in the Judicial process. Since when did the UK papers print truth?

The UK public will read what is in the papers and on the whole believe it....

Offline jassi

The UK public will read what is in the papers and on the whole believe it....

What difference is that going to make ?
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

OxfordBloo

'Presumed' is the word.

No. There are two states.

They ARE innocent in the eyes of the law.

Should they come to trial they are entitled to also be PRESUMED innocent for the purpose of the trial.

Offline Brietta

Well as regards this case, I wasn't in Portugal on the 3 rd May 2007.

Were you ?

I meant in general, Stephen.

You are seen cutting your hedge with hedging shears.
Your next door neighbour with whom you have had a spat, mysteriously disappears:  two days later he is found in your potting shed with your hedging shears sticking out of his back.

YOU ARE GUILTY!!!

Of course you are not.  You are innocent until the police can find evidence to prove your guilt.  Really quite a simple thing to understand, which makes the campaigns of vilification against the McCanns all the more extraordinary.

Portugal recognises the right to the presumption of innocence; the judge in her ruling made it quite clear the McCanns are innocent; so I think that may be one of Mr Amaral's avenues for appeal out of the window.

As far as her other finding goes ... I wonder if there is a Statute of Limitation in force on the offence ... she made it quite clear his retired status did not exonerate him from the burden of confidentiality ... so the appeal may happen or it may not, but it will be interesting to see if a criminal action replaces it.
I don't think it is at all outwith the bounds of possibility.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline faithlilly

Algarve Resident, 6 may 2015, paper edition.
Natasha Donn natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

After what many consider the bombshell of a judicial decision - setting record damages for a private Portugese citizen - British supporters of former PJ inspector Gonçalo Amaral are rallying en-masse to a "gofundme" online appeal - started intriguingly by a young British woman who was only 14 when Madeleine McCann went missing. In less than a week, 22-year-old Leanne Baulch's appeal has raised over £9,200. British media has slated it - suggesting it is powered by "sick online trolls". The Resident follows this fast-developing story which shows no sign of losing pace.

If anything, the impetus now is to find a "high-profile donor" - someone "prepared to underwrite the legal costs" that Amaral faces as he appeals against the judge's decision that awarded record damages against him in the long-running civil action for defamation taken out by the McCanns over his book The Truth of the Lie.
Slapping Amaral with a bill that tops £600.000 all told, Express on Sunday suggested at the weekend that Judge Emilia Melo e Castro had effectively "ruined and shamed" the man who led the original police investigation into Madeleine's disappearance.
The Sun was equally scathing, describing 56-year-old Amaral as a "lie cop" in its exposé of what is described as a "sick online campaign".
But the publicity seems to have "backfired", Leanne Baulch tells us.
One couldn't say people are digging "deep" into their pockets, as many donations are for small amounts - but it is certainly a "mass fork out", with multiple commentaries refuting main stream media's slur that these people are "trolls".
A donor by the name of Emma Mitchell, giving £100, wrote: "Shame on you The Sun - Keep fighting GA, Madeleine deserves justice and so do you".
Another added her contribution, saying: "From yet another 'nasty internet troll' keep fighting GA, we are behind you all the way".
Comments on stories posted on our portugalresident.com website also show readers reacting to the insinuation that "anyone who questions the abduction theory" is a troll.
Calling it "a total disgrace", Jayne Staverley suggests that the Sun's reporters "are still in primary school".
But the tragedy behind these comments is that while Madeleine's parents have always maintained their civil action against Amaral was "never about the money", it is now becoming more and more clear how important a role money has taken on in this case.
Miss Baulch's appeal - an extension of the long-running Portugese "Projecto Justiça Gonçalo Amaral" fund to which she stresses she has "no access whatsoever" - has set out to raise £25.000. As we wrote, donations were steadily flowing in, with over 500 people having raised £9.205 in six days.
Questioned about whether she imagined she would get such a response, the single-mother from Birmingham told us: "I had no idea. I was just desperate to help. I didn't expect the media to get involved. The Sun and Express reporting shocked me, but it backfired."

As Amaral is thus buoyed by this latest bid to raise money to help him, British media has been carrying 8th anniversary "Madeleine disappearance" stories, including new "revelations" about a string of burglaries on the Praia da Luz resort from which Madeleine went missing.
These burglaries are presented as adding weight to the British police theory that Madeleine may have been abducted as a result of a botched burglary.
But noteworthy when considering mainstream media's preoccupation with "vile trolls" is the report by Sky news, coming in last week, that the so-called "hate dossier" that hit the headlines eight months ago is not going to result in any prosecutions.
The dossier - which led to the suicide of grandmother Brenda Leyland after she was "outed" as a so-called troll on live television, had been delivered to Leicester Police by what Sky described as an "anonymous source".
Keenly involved in the story, Sky's crime expert Martin Brunt claimed that the anonymous source (or sources) have reacted with "absolute dismay" at the decision not to prosecute.
"They say it is tantamount to giving trolls carte blanche to carry on abusing the McCanns," he wrote.
"Although we haven't heard directly from the McCanns, I am sure they too will be astonished because - Gerry McCann said such trolls should be prosecuted."
As we wrote this story, a new comment appeared on the gofundme site, signed from "MA", "Dr. Amaral, my pledge is to pay an apology fine for every article I see that is biased and un-factual on your behalf. Today's fine is on behalf of the Express for their use of "troll", "shamed" and "sickening".
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline jassi

Yes, up to 10.5 grand this morning in about a week.

Or maybe not -

Offline Mr Gray

At a rate even higher that the "ridiculous" rate I postulated tongue in cheek a few days ago!

I am surprised...but it just proves how stupid some people are

Offline Alice Purjorick

I am surprised...but it just proves how stupid some people are

Only in your opinion.

There is a theory that the easiest way to become rich is to place a dustbin outside ones house bearing the message "It is absolutely forbidden to throw money in here".
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline faithlilly

Thanks for posting the link, perhaps you can explain how this page is going to helpAmaral win his appeal?

It won't. Why do you think it would ?

Alfred R Jones

It won't. Why do you think it would ?
I don't, however there seems to have been some excitement in the sceptic community tonight that this page is hugely significant, so much so that screenshots of it have been sent to Amaral's lawyer.