Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853744 times)

Offline pathfinder73

Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline faithlilly

I don't, however there seems to have been some excitement in the sceptic community tonight that this page is hugely significant, so much so that screenshots of it have been sent to Amaral's lawyer.

Really ? Why ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Brietta

Thanks for posting the link, perhaps you can explain how this page is going to helpAmaral win his appeal?

I doubt it will be of assistance to Mr Amaral in his appeal, should he find grounds for taking one forward.  Conversely, it may be of use to the McCann legal team in their argument showing the damage which continues to their clients' reputation.

The highlighting of this manner of raising funds also introduces into the equation the question of a charity endeavour and one of raising funding for the personal benefit of an individual, and may be of assistance to the Portuguese Court which has sequestered Mr Amaral's earnings.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

ferryman

I doubt it will be of assistance to Mr Amaral in his appeal, should he find grounds for taking one forward.  Conversely, it may be of use to the McCann legal team in their argument showing the damage which continues to their clients' reputation.

The highlighting of this manner of raising funds also introduces into the equation the question of a charity endeavour and one of raising funding for the personal benefit of an individual, and may be of assistance to the Portuguese Court which has sequestered Mr Amaral's earnings.

It would be a slightly topsy-turvey approach to set about raising the money for an appeal first, and discover you have no grounds for an appeal second.

But, who knows? ....

Offline Brietta

It would be a slightly topsy-turvey approach to set about raising the money for an appeal first, and discover you have no grounds for an appeal second.

But, who knows? ....

I'm not sure whether the chicken or the egg came first in all of this.

The previous fund seemed to be set up in a way which did not excite the interest of the Court.  This one seems to have been set-up in a rather more haphazard fashion.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carew

But, who knows? ....

Well..........a fund was set up quite quickly for the McCann family , with a "missing child awareness event" planned for some time ahead when there was every chance she might be found quite quickly.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:13:28 AM by Carew »

Offline Montclair

But, who knows? ....

Don't worry your pretty little heads, Gonçalo Amaral and his lawyers have plenty of arguments to present in their appeal because they are appealing without a doubt. I don't understand some of you here who keep thinking that he will not be able to appeal. Some of you seem to think that some judge will come out and say that he can't appeal because he has no grounds, but it doesn't work that way in Portugal. Appeals to higher courts are consecrated in the law in Portugal in the name of justice and fairness.

Some of you seem very worried about his appealing and don't like the fact that people are willing to pay his legal costs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:22:59 AM by Montclair »

Offline G-Unit

I find it strange that anyone who has doubts about the parent's version of events is suspected of being a member of a 'group' spread across the internet spouting lies and feeling hate.

Similarly, pointing out that the Mccann victory over Amaral was not quite the unqualified success suggested by the parents and the media results in accusations of belonging to a group who 'idolise' Amaral and think everything he does is wonderful.

Most people's positions are not so black and white as some seem to think they are. The PJ made mistakes which they have acknowledged. As co-ordinator Amaral has to take the blame for that. The parents made a mistake also, for which they have to take the blame.

The right to appeal is there and people who think Amaral has been badly treated by the court wish to help him financially with that appeal. That's their right and it doesn't make them stupid, trolls, [ censored word ]s, or anything else.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline jassi

I find it strange that anyone who has doubts about the parent's version of events is suspected of being a member of a 'group' spread across the internet spouting lies and feeling hate.

Similarly, pointing out that the Mccann victory over Amaral was not quite the unqualified success suggested by the parents and the media results in accusations of belonging to a group who 'idolise' Amaral and think everything he does is wonderful.

Most people's positions are not so black and white as some seem to think they are. The PJ made mistakes which they have acknowledged. As co-ordinator Amaral has to take the blame for that. The parents made a mistake also, for which they have to take the blame.

The right to appeal is there and people who think Amaral has been badly treated by the court wish to help him financially with that appeal. That's their right and it doesn't make them stupid, trolls, [ censored word ], or anything else.

I would agree. I post on here and one other forum because I want to and the subject interests me. I belong to no 'sceptic grouping' anywhere and wouldn't wish to.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

The right to appeal is there and people who think Amaral has been badly treated by the court wish to help him financially with that appeal. That's their right and it doesn't make them stupid, trolls, [ censored word ], or anything else.

where have the parents or anyone else said the result was an unqualified success..

Offline Carana

He can submit an appeal based on legal points and facts.

Questions:

Can he submit new facts or just dispute the validity of those already considered?

Can the McCanns only respond to the points raised in the appeal? Or can they raise new elements if they have any?

Offline Jean-Pierre

He can submit an appeal based on legal points and facts.

Questions:

Can he submit new facts or just dispute the validity of those already considered?

Can the McCanns only respond to the points raised in the appeal? Or can they raise new elements if they have any?

The following may clarify questions relating to time limits for appeal, and the process:

The general rule is that the appealing party has 30 days to appeal to the higher court in the event that the appeal is to the court of second instance (Cf. Article 638 of the CPC). If the appeal includes the impeachment of the proven facts through a review of the recorded witnesses or party statements, then the appealing party has 40 days to appeal.

However, in some specific cases (e.g. freezing orders) the appealing party has only 15 days to appeal.

The defendant in the appeal always has the same term to present an answer.

The first instance court will then decide whether the appeal should be accepted. If it is accepted, the case is sent to the higher court.

On the basis of historic evidence, it is estimated that the second instance courts take on average between six months and one year to decide an appeal, and that the Supreme Court will take on average three to six months to issue a final decision

This means that there is a right to appeal, within a set timescale. 

The defendant in the appeal has a similar limited time to respond.

The first instance court will then decide on whether the appeal has merit and if it decides it has, the case is sent to the second instance court.   So although there is a right to appeal, that does not guarantee that the appeal will be heard in a higher court.

Offline Carana

Thanks JP, that's one bit of the puzzle.

Do you have a link to the latest CPC?

I don't think the one I've been looking at recently can be it as none of the article numbers correspond.

http://www.dgpj.mj.pt/sections/leis-da-justica/livro-iii-leis-civis-e/consolidacao-processo/codigo-processo-civil/downloadFile/file/CODIGO_PROCESSO_CIVIL_VF.pdf?nocache=1286970369.12

Offline Jean-Pierre

Thanks JP, that's one bit of the puzzle.

Do you have a link to the latest CPC?

I don't think the one I've been looking at recently can be it as none of the article numbers correspond.

http://www.dgpj.mj.pt/sections/leis-da-justica/livro-iii-leis-civis-e/consolidacao-processo/codigo-processo-civil/downloadFile/file/CODIGO_PROCESSO_CIVIL_VF.pdf?nocache=1286970369.12

What is puzzling you Carana?  I will have a go at answering.

Offline Montclair

The following may clarify questions relating to time limits for appeal, and the process:

The general rule is that the appealing party has 30 days to appeal to the higher court in the event that the appeal is to the court of second instance (Cf. Article 638 of the CPC). If the appeal includes the impeachment of the proven facts through a review of the recorded witnesses or party statements, then the appealing party has 40 days to appeal.

However, in some specific cases (e.g. freezing orders) the appealing party has only 15 days to appeal.

The defendant in the appeal always has the same term to present an answer.

The first instance court will then decide whether the appeal should be accepted. If it is accepted, the case is sent to the higher court.

On the basis of historic evidence, it is estimated that the second instance courts take on average between six months and one year to decide an appeal, and that the Supreme Court will take on average three to six months to issue a final decision

This means that there is a right to appeal, within a set timescale. 

The defendant in the appeal has a similar limited time to respond.

The first instance court will then decide on whether the appeal has merit and if it decides it has, the case is sent to the second instance court.   So although there is a right to appeal, that does not guarantee that the appeal will be heard in a higher court.

Look, you simply do not understand. Gonçalo Amaral will submit his appeal, it will be then heard (or read) by the Tribunal de Relação, who will study the case and make a ruling. Ponto final. GA does not have to wait for some authorisation to make an appeal. After the ruling by the TdR any of the parties can appeal that decision and it will go on and on...