Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853739 times)

Offline Mr Gray

That is one way of looking at it I suppose.
I incline to the view that a smart person will look at the objectives of the writ and what the end result was vis a vis those objectives.

a smart person has

Offline jassi

a smart person has

Is this one of your self-assessments?  8(>((
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

stephen25000

Sigh ... the award will never go near their bank account ...  @)(++(* ... it will go directly into Madeleine's Fund.

Into the irrelevant fund, which they have access to at any time ?  %£&)**# %£&)**# %£&)**#

Actually, of course they could never receive any money at all. 8)--))

stephen25000

they have received a favourable judgement and amaral has been humiliated..nicer

So dave, when will they get the money ? 8)-)))

and for the mccanns, that's what it's all about.

8(0(*

Offline Brietta

Into the irrelevant fund, which they have access to at any time ?  %£&)**# %£&)**# %£&)**#

Actually, of course they could never receive any money at all. 8)--))

Always a bit of a mystery to me why everyone's focus isn't on the investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance as "justice" for her is the banner under which many choose to attack the fund set up for her benefit.

I think the significance on public opinion of the recent judgement has been missed (or maybe not) concerning the award granted by a Portuguese Judge which appears to me to have been delivered solely on points of Portuguese Law, other aspects of the claim eg the effect on the children having been dismissed.

Therefore I wonder what basis there will be for an appeal as I think the Judge has elucidated the reasoning behind her judgement as points of law which have been flouted ... I think that is probably bomb proof with only perhaps the amount of the award being open to challenge ... even that I think may not be accepted as it was based on the amount made from Mr Amaral's book.

Conversely if the Judgement does go to appeal ... it means Mr Amaral's funds being tied up for some time ... and the result of the appeal may be an increase in the amount awarded.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

stephen25000

Always a bit of a mystery to me why everyone's focus isn't on the investigation into Madeleine McCann's disappearance as "justice" for her is the banner under which many choose to attack the fund set up for her benefit.

I think the significance on public opinion of the recent judgement has been missed (or maybe not) concerning the award granted by a Portuguese Judge which appears to me to have been delivered solely on points of Portuguese Law, other aspects of the claim eg the effect on the children having been dismissed.

Therefore I wonder what basis there will be for an appeal as I think the Judge has elucidated the reasoning behind her judgement as points of law which have been flouted ... I think that is probably bomb proof with only perhaps the amount of the award being open to challenge ... even that I think may not be accepted as it was based on the amount made from Mr Amaral's book.

Conversely if the Judgement does go to appeal ... it means Mr Amaral's funds being tied up for some time ... and the result of the appeal may be an increase in the amount awarded.

In your dreams.

Offline jassi

Why bother wondering?  Why not just leave it the court to sort out, as indeed they will.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

In your dreams.

How will Mr Amaral's lawyer argue the judgement that he denied Madeleine McCann's parents their right to the presumption of innocence ... and what evidence will he present to argue that the Judge's ruling was wrong?

An appeal has to have some basis.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

Why bother wondering?  Why not just leave it the court to sort out, as indeed they will.

Not interested in discussing Mr Amaral's appeal on a thread specifically set up for the purpose ... oh well, one wonders why you bother to post at all since you never seem to have a contribution to make on anything at all except for continual put down?

Alfred R Jones

With the best will in the world, with the plaintiffs having about 700k of their claim deffed out and one defendant being stuffed for Euros 500k, I don't see how either of those parties can spin it as a major victory, I would have thought it more like a score draw going into extra time. The winners were the publishers and TV company as they were let off.
If you believe that being ordered to pay 500,000 euros in damages is a similar result as receiving a payment of 500,000 euros in damages (un unprecedentedly huge sum in Portgugal apparently) then you truly have jumped the shark.

Offline jassi

Not interested in discussing Mr Amaral's appeal on a thread specifically set up for the purpose ... oh well, one wonders why you bother to post at all since you never seem to have a contribution to make on anything at all except for continual put down?

I learned long ago not to be bothered about things over which I have no control.

In this case, lawyers will decide about the appeal without any input from you or I.

Or maybe not -

stephen25000

What a hypocrite.

You and other mccann supporters have tried to glory in what you perceive as the humiliation of Amaral and the award of money to parents who left their children all by themselves with no one to protect them, and on whom this case rests.

Alfred R Jones

I learned long ago not to be bothered about things over which I have no control.

In this case, lawyers will decide about the appeal without any input from you or I.
That goes for every aspect of this case so why bother about any of it at all?  It's a very good question Jassi, perhaps you could explain why you bother posting on the subject?

Offline jassi

That goes for every aspect of this case so why bother about any of it at all?  It's a very good question Jassi, perhaps you could explain why you bother posting on the subject?

While having an interest in the topic, I am also  here to entertain myself by reading the stupidity of some of the posts on here .  Do you object ?

Or maybe not -

Offline Mr Gray

So dave, when will they get the money ? 8)-)))

and for the mccanns, that's what it's all about.

8(0(*

seeing amaral deprived of his own money is good enough