Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853639 times)

Offline jassi

They haven't got a penny.

They do however have legal expenses, which will continue to mount.

I don't suppose they care - its only money and it will come out of the fund.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Alice Purjorick

Not at all, that's why I'm here too. 8(0(* However, if no one bothered to comment on the various threads about the case, including this one, then there would be very little material with which to entertain oneself, agreed?

Blimey Alf that means me you and Jassi are a team. We need a name a uniform and a manager now.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

Try to express it in terms of the objectives of the writ. Which objectives were achieved and which were not?

you mean put the spin you wish onto it. let's try this...I buy a lottery ticket...last week the winner won 1,000,000...this week I win and get only 500,000...do you think I would be unhappy

Alfred R Jones

They haven't got a penny.

They do however have legal expenses, which will continue to mount.
Amaral has been made to pay for the shit he has heaped on the McCann family for the last 8 years, even if not a single penny has passed from his account into theirs (yet).  If you don't believe me, ask him - he's not exactly living the Life of Riley is he? 

stephen25000

Amaral has been made to pay for the shit he has heaped on the McCann family for the last 8 years, even if not a single penny has passed from his account into theirs (yet).  If you don't believe me, ask him - he's not exactly living the Life of Riley is he?

The 'shit' imposed on the mccanns is self imposed.

Useless parenting skills were on display.

and they loved blaming other people for their incompetence.

stephen25000

'  Another objective article by the nicely rational Natasha Donn here - http://portugalresident.com/maddie-cop%E2%80%99s-legal-fund-%E2%80%9Cwell-on-the-way%E2%80%9D-to-the-%E2%82%AC25000-target

..... and the Defence Fund now up to £13,155 (824 donators) as opposed to just £1842 (102 contributors) for the little cycle jaunt.  '

Maddie cop’s legal fund “well on the way” to the £25,000 target

Within 11 days, the British fighting fund set up to help the former policeman dubbed by UK media as the “Maddie Lie Cop” has reached over €13,000.

The target - set by young psychology student Leanne Baulch who was only 14 at the time Madeleine McCann went missing - is now less than €11,000 away, and donations are coming in bit by bit every few hours.

The extraordinary aspect of this latest appeal is that it has been taken up by so many and no matter what the size of donations, people show their feelings that Amaral has been “badly treated” for reasons no-one appears able to fathom. Indeed, the €500,000 damages set by judge Emília Melo e Castro, plus the further €106,000 in interest - all destined to compensate the parents of Madeleine for the distress Amaral’s book The Truth of the Lie caused them - are reported to be the highest ever awarded against a Portuguese citizen.

With questions constantly appearing on the fund website asking “what is being covered up”, Brits are giving in droves, with donors ranging from grandparents to young people who were teenagers at the time Madeleine went missing. One of the most recent of the 819 givers was grandmother Kathleen Conell who deposited her £50 saying: “I worry about your safety and only wish someone wealthy with courage would adopt your cause. The corruption in both the UK and Portuguese establishments must be stopped. Democracy is finished otherwise.”

As this latest example of “people-power” righting what they see is a wrong plays out, the mainstream British media is making much of the so-called string of burglaries that appears to have taken place on the resort from which Madeleine went missing just over eight years ago.

Sunday Express writer James Murray has written that British police “have established a pattern of attacks on children in the Algarve… which could lead to a host of other sordid crimes being solved”.

It’s a line that has surfaced every now and then in this infinite mystery and which many query, as if there truly had been a spate of attacks on children in the Algarve, the feeling is that local and national media would have heard about them. As a source told us this week, what were originally described as “five or six cases, then morphed into over a dozen and suddenly exploded into 30 cases or so, if we are to believe the UK media”.

Meantime, the instigator of the British appeal fund raising money for Amaral’s appeal tells us she has been approached by a number of UK newspapers, but none of them are keen to write about her effort until it reaches the €25,000 target.

See more at: http://portugalresident.com/maddie-cop%E2%80%99s-legal-fund-%E2%80%9Cwell-on-the-way%E2%80%9D-to-the-%E2%82%AC25000-target#sthash.4icBYBIZ.dpuf
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 01:28:39 PM by John »

Offline jassi

Blimey Alf that means me you and Jassi are a team. We need a name a uniform and a manager now.

I don't think I'll join - there would only be ugly spat over who wanted to be captain  8(0(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Alfred R Jones

The 'shit' imposed on the mccanns is self imposed.

Useless parenting skills were on display.

and they loved blaming other people for their incompetence.
If the shit imposed on the McCanns is self-imposed then perhaps you can explain why the judge awarded them half a million euros in damages against Amaral?

stephen25000

If the shit imposed on the McCanns is self-imposed then perhaps you can explain why the judge awarded them half a million euros in damages against Amaral?

Who is responsible for the whole case alfred ?

Who left their children without any protection or guard ?

Was it the tooth fairies with their pink spots in green tights ?

Alfred R Jones

Who is responsible for the whole case alfred ?

Who left their children without any protection or guard ?

Was it the tooth fairies with their pink spots in green tights ?
Again:

stephen25000

Again:

Just one judge alfred, with their interpretation of the law.

Next time  another judge, who may give another interpretation.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:05:25 AM by Angelo222 »

stephen25000

Another person who does not respect the rule of law.  Judge's don't hand down opinions, they hand down judgements, based on law.

Why are you determined to take this thread off topic into a discussion about the McCanns as parents?  It's something you do on pretty much every single thread when your views are challenged, I think you should be given a warning for repeatedly doing this, what say the Mods?

No alfred, they give the judgement based on their interpretation of the law.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:05:56 AM by Angelo222 »

Offline Alice Purjorick

Amaral's objective was to walk away from court with his finances intact, and his career as a media McCann-basher restored, thoroughly vindicated.  None of these things occurred.  The McCanns' objective was to make Amaral pay for the suffering and hurt he inflicted on their family, and to get the book and the DVD withdrawn permanently.  All of these things came to pass.  The McCanns were awarded the largest ever damages payout awarded against a Portuguese citizen.  I'd call that 3-nil to Team McCann in the Champion's League Final.

Amarals objective is irrelevant. The relevant objectives are those what are writ in the writ.
Those objectives are clearly defined in the judgement you so kindly posted a link to what now seems like a elephants age ago but was only about a fortnight.
Compare the items the writ sought with that which has been granted by the judge. I don't see how you can judge success or otherwise without making that comparison.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

you mean put the spin you wish onto it. let's try this...I buy a lottery ticket...last week the winner won 1,000,000...this week I win and get only 500,000...do you think I would be unhappy

You are making very silly comparisons but if that floats you boat be my guest.

Alfred R Jones

No alfred, they give the judgement based on their interpretation of the law.

that's pretty much what I said
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:08:32 AM by Angelo222 »