Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853623 times)

stephen25000

As a reminder for some people.

' Here is your "Extract of the Day" from the Lisbon judge's ruling.

"It is important to keep in mind that it is not illegal to sustain the thesis according to which Madeleine McCann died in the apartment of Praia da Luz and that her body was concealed by her parents."

http://www.gerrymccannsblogs.co.uk/v01.htm '

Courtesy of the Amazon forum.

Offline Alice Purjorick

I don't find it hard to understand.    IMO Some sceptics will support anything if they believe it will hurt the McCann family, even if it means supporting a corrupt policeman with a criminal record.    Simples.

Even if he has "previous" he remains entitled to full due process of the law. Should that necessitate going out with a begging bowl that's fair enough; after all he will be neither the first nor last to do it. As I have observed before the fees for a large number of criminals in the UK is funded from legal aid taxation. I don't see the problem unless of course your contention is that Dr Amaral is not entitled to full due process of the law.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

"It is important to keep in mind that it is not illegal to sustain the thesis according to which Madeleine McCann died in the apartment of Praia da Luz and that her body was concealed by her parents."

no one said it was  illegal

Offline Benice

So all those people who have donated have lied about their reasons for doing so? In your opinion obviously.  8(>((

From what I have read in the comments section - their reasons are based on their hatred of the McCanns.  Even after the most offensive comments have been removed it still reeks of h.a.t.r.e.d  directed at the McCanns IMO.

The same old myths, lies and disinformation - which many sceptics still believe are true are being repeated at length in the comments section - with no rebuttals.   What has any of that got to do with Amaral's appeal -  which incidentally - he is perfectly entitled to apply for.  I have no problem with that.

I have not said anyone lied.  I am simply giving my opinion on the reasons why some sceptics have decided to support a policeman who abused his privileged  position to cover up the torture of a defenceless woman and was rightly given a criminal conviction as a result of that.   What normal person would want to support such a proven corrupt policeman ?  IMO  there must be another reason - and I suggest it is the overriding desire of some to hurt the McCanns in any way they can and this is an opportunity to do just that.   

If that is not the reason  - then what is it based on?     It can't be on Amarals brilliant handling of the case as he was removed from it by his own Portuguese authorities. 

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Online Eleanor

Just give him the money and let's see how he gets on.  Portuguese Law is a revelation after all.  And what on earth would we all do with ourselves without it?

In truth, I don't really care what happens to him.  He had the means to make a truly honest name for himself, which is not granted to many.  And I find it to be really sad that he finally, totally wrecked his life.

I think he did this because his buddy, Cristovao had made a few bob doing more or less the same thing.

Whether or not he actually believes The McCanns to be guilty is neither here nor there.

Offline Carana

That's not the case Carana.  By writing the book and having it distributed worldwide Goncalo Amaral created an awareness of the circumstances of Maddies disappearance.

A point worth noting is that Goncalo Amaral has never complained or sought redress when his book was copied and posted all over the web yet the McCanns have sought to do so at every juncture.  One could be forgiven for believing that they are more interested in the funds the book brings in than than the message it carries.

Media reports on the official ruling to archive the case, which had taken into account all of the information known at the time (not just cherry-picked details), came to a different conclusion.

On your second point, Amaral's publishers might have had more reasons to seek legal redress than Amaral himself over amateur translations... The publishers would have known that it was extremely unlikely that they could have sold the rights to any anglophone country. If that's the reasoning behind not bothering, then Amaral wouldn't have got his royalties in any case.

A little detail that seems to be forgotten is that Amaral had "political ambitions", starting with an attempt to get elected to the council of Olhão...

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 02:47:06 PM by John »

Offline Alice Purjorick

From what I have read in the comments section - their reasons are based on their hatred of the McCanns.  Even after the most offensive comments have been removed it still reeks of h.a.t.r.e.d  directed at the McCanns IMO.

The same old myths, lies and disinformation - which many sceptics still believe are true are being repeated at length in the comments section - with no rebuttals.   What has any of that got to do with Amaral's appeal -  which incidentally - he is perfectly entitled to apply for.  I have no problem with that.

I have not said anyone lied.  I am simply giving my opinion on the reasons why some sceptics have decided to support a policeman who abused his privileged  position to cover up the torture of a defenceless woman and was rightly given a criminal conviction as a result of that.   What normal person would want to support such a proven corrupt policeman ? IMO  there must be another reason - and I suggest it is the overriding desire of some to hurt the McCanns in any way they can and this is an opportunity to do just that.   

If that is not the reason  - then what is it based on?     It can't be on Amarals brilliant handling of the case as he was removed from it by his own Portuguese authorities.

In this country it would probably be funded from legal aid taxation to which you contribute.
So the notion that those who contribute to the defence of criminals are abnormal ?...................fill in the rest yourself.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Anna

c) The prohibitions required under paragraphs d), e) and f) of action of petitionary attached, beyond the scope of this action and are disproportionate. It is not illegal to retain the support of the thesis that Madeleine McCann died a smaller apartment in Praia da Luz and his body was hidden by parents. The scope of action is the claim by the defendant Goncalo Amaral, in the book, the interview and documentary, in concrete terms in which it did, this same thesis.
d) the desired condemnation in the judgment of the publication of the above considerations apply, for the same order, to which reference is made.
e) The mandatory sanction is appropriate, but it should be fixed in accordance with paragraph 1 of article 829º-A of the Civil Code, only for non-fungible fact benefits, considering proportional to the amount of € 50,000.00 (fifty thousand euros) for each offense this command (paragraph 2 of article 829º-A of the Civil Code).
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Online Eleanor

In this country it would probably be funded from legal aid taxation to which you contribute.
So the notion that those who contribute to the defence of criminals are abnormal ?...................fill in the rest yourself.

It is entirely the choice of the individual in this case.  Even their motives are not important.  But the opinions of others are perfectly valid.

And this could have some considerably effect on Portuguese Law in the future, which I would like to see, whichever way it goes.

No more real harm can be done to The McCanns now.

Offline G-Unit

I have not said anyone lied.  I am simply giving my opinion on the reasons why some sceptics have decided to support a policeman who abused his privileged  position to cover up the torture of a defenceless woman and was rightly given a criminal conviction as a result of that.   What normal person would want to support such a proven corrupt policeman ?  IMO  there must be another reason - and I suggest it is the overriding desire of some to hurt the McCanns in any way they can and this is an opportunity to do just that.   

So they're liars and abnormal people now? In your opinion, of course.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

stephen25000

So they're liars and abnormal people now? In your opinion, of course.

It doesn't seem to have occurred to benice and other mccann supporters that people do have a mind of their own, and after viewing the evidence available don't believe the mccanns accounts of events.

Offline Angelo222

Media reports on the official ruling to archive the case, which had taken into account all of the information known at the time (not just cherry-picked details), came to a different conclusion.

British media reports are mere chip paper...worthless. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 02:50:40 PM by John »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Angelo222

On your second point, Amaral's publishers might have had more reasons to seek legal redress than Amaral himself over amateur translations... The publishers would have known that it was extremely unlikely that they could have sold the rights to any anglophone country. If that's the reasoning behind not bothering, then Amaral wouldn't have got his royalties in any case.

Could it not simply be the case that Amaral was genuinely interested in finding Maddie rather than filling the coffers?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Carana

Could it not simply be the case that Amaral was genuinely interested in finding Maddie rather than filling the coffers?

Of course, Angelo. But how has he contributed to "finding her" by insisting that she died on 3 May and that her parents are complicit with only cherry-picked details from the files, uncorroborated hearsay, disregard for potential language barriers, disregard for the reports of Grime / Harrison, and the forensic lab reports, etc., when his main motivation, as he said himself, was to defend his "honour"?

Online Eleanor

I think Amaral wanted his book in English all over The Internet, since he could't get it published in English.  But I'm not sure how he could have thought that this would help to find Madeleine.
Find Madeleine where?  Alive or dead?