Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853689 times)

Offline Jean-Pierre

Did you?

Interesting. 

Thoughts on the subject:

To put together an appeal should not cost very much - rough estimate £10k.

Court fees will need to be paid on top of this but again Portuguese court fees are fairly modest - a few hundred euros.

I am therefore assuming that the bulk of the money will be required to settle outstanding bills from the original action, or the court will require a deposit.

Offline mercury

Excellent news.

That's really good news. I eventually had a look at the page, thought that many many people must have donated to reach that amount, as most donations were for £5 and £10 and thereabouts. All good IMO, as I wasn't personally convinced the Mccanns had a strong, moral, or believable case or that the damages awarded to them for his writing his book were fair by any stretch. Onwards and upwards for his appeal.

Alfred R Jones

Did you?
Yes, it was a figure mooted on here a few weeks back I thought - I could be mistaken of course....  Anyway, I'd just like to add my voice of congratulation and delight at this heart-warming news... 8)--))

stephen25000

That's really good news. I eventually had a look at the page, thought that many many people must have donated to reach that amount, as most donations were for £5 and £10 and thereabouts. All good IMO, as I wasn't personally convinced the Mccanns had a strong, moral, or believable case or that the damages awarded to them for his writing his book were fair by any stretch. Onwards and upwards for his appeal.

Indeed Mercury.

The amount the mccanns awarded was gross and quite unprecedented in Portuguese Legal  history.

Alfred R Jones

Interesting. 

Thoughts on the subject:

To put together an appeal should not cost very much - rough estimate £10k.

Court fees will need to be paid on top of this but again Portuguese court fees are fairly modest - a few hundred euros.

I am therefore assuming that the bulk of the money will be required to settle outstanding bills from the original action, or the court will require a deposit.
Hang on a sec...I thought this appeal process could drag on for years...?  Surely £10k isn't going to cover years more legal costs?

Offline Mr Gray

Excellent news.

excellent news.....so looking forward to the sun article

Alfred R Jones

Approximately 1000 unique individuals have contributed to the fund so far.  'Unique' in both senses of the word...  @)(++(*

stephen25000

Approximately 1000 unique individuals have contributed to the fund so far.  'Unique' in both senses of the word...  @)(++(*

People with common sense.

Unless those naive people or 'believers' who contributed to paying the mccanns living, travel and legal expenses. 8)--)) *&*%£

Offline Brietta

Many are repeat donations from the same people ... I'm not knocking that if it is what people really want to do with their money ... and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you cannot recognise the morals of the case ... the Portuguese Court did and the reasons given will probably dictate the outcome of an appeal should one be allowed.

"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline misty

Of course, he might just stumble into a travel agent & buy a one-way ticket to the Maldives rather than appeal.

Offline G-Unit

Of course, he might just stumble into a travel agent & buy a one-way ticket to the Maldives rather than appeal.

As I understand it he doesn't have access to any of the money raised for his legal defense.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline misty

As I understand it he doesn't have access to any of the money raised for his legal defense.

Who is controlling the a/c to which the money is being channelled into?

Offline mercury

Many are repeat donations from the same people ... I'm not knocking that if it is what people really want to do with their money ... and it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you cannot recognise the morals of the case ... the Portuguese Court did and the reasons given will probably dictate the outcome of an appeal should one be allowed.
How do you know they are repeat donations? Why would anyone donate then send somemore?

And what do you mean by it doesn't surprise you in the slightest that I cant recognise the morals of the case? You have a nerve.
Which morals did the Portuguese Court recognise? What did they say about these?

As for "the judgement will probably dictate the outcome of an appeal", you cant know that, if anyone did,there would be no costly appeals and secondly the judgement of a lower court in banning his book a few years ago was overturned, so dont count your chickens I would say

Alfred R Jones

How do you know they are repeat donations? Why would anyone donate then send somemore?

An
d what do you mean by it doesn't surprise you in the slightest that I cant recognise the morals of the case? You have a nerve.
Which morals did the Portuguese Court recognise? What did they say about these?

As for "the judgement will probably dictate the outcome of an appeal", you cant know that, if anyone did,there would be no costly appeals and secondly the judgement of a lower court in banning his book a few years ago was overturned, so dont count your chickens I would say
Weird isn't it? But I can assure you they are - some peopl have donated more than half a dozen times each, it helps to give the impression that Amaral has more support than he actually has.  So - weird, and a bit pathetic really.

ferryman

It seems he has far more than enough already to launch his appeal, so what will the balance be used for?