Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853811 times)

Offline Jean-Pierre

It seems he has far more than enough already to launch his appeal, so what will the balance be used for?

There is probably enough to sort out accounts and launch an appeal but to go the distance will take all the money raised and more.  But it is right and proper that he should have his day(s) in court.

Offline Brietta

That there are those who claim to have made numerous donations to Mr Amaral's appeal fund is indisputable ... that there are those who have pledged weekly or other interval timed small donations to Mr Amaral's appeal fund is indisputable also ... why you appear to take umbrage to the fact is incomprehensible
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:11:43 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Jean-Pierre

That there are those who claim to have made numerous donations to Mr Amaral's appeal fund is indisputable ... that there are those who have pledged weekly or other interval timed small donations to Mr Amaral's appeal fund is indisputable also ... why you appear to take umbrage to the fact is incomprehensible
Probably because it means that instead of 1000 supporters, there are less but making repeat donations.  Some folk are sensitive about that sort of thing being pointed out.

I know of one who has donated three times if that helps draw a more precise picture.   
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:12:23 PM by John »

Offline Brietta

Probably because it means that instead of 1000 supporters, there are less but making repeat donations.  Some folk are sensitive about that sort of thing being pointed out.

I know of one who has donated three times if that helps draw a more precise picture.

It seems to me to be a very strange thing to get hung up about ... I am sure they will hit their target but unsurprisingly not at the rate it took off at. If contributions to the Portuguese arm of the endeavour keep pace with the British side of things, money won't be a problem if the appeal is allowed ... but since we are not privy to that information ... it would be wise for the Brits to continue their endeavours if Mr Amaral is not to run the risk of ending up in an even worse financial stew than he is at present should his appeal fall on deaf ears.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:12:35 PM by John »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

It matters not that people are collecting for him.  I'm not even sure that in the unlikely event his appeal is successful it really matters; for the simple reason that the times in Portugal are definitely changing and the spotlight shone by Madeleine McCann's case may have played a part in hastening that.

The important thing now is that Madeleine McCann is being actively looked for not by private investigators ~ but by the police forces of two countries.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:15:09 PM by John »

stephen25000

It matters not that people are collecting for him.  I'm not even sure that in the unlikely event his appeal is successful it really matters; for the simple reason that the times in Portugal are definitely changing and the spotlight shone by Madeleine McCann's case may have played a part in hastening that.

The important thing now is that Madeleine McCann is being actively looked for not by private investigators ~ but by the police forces of two countries.

'Actively looked for'.

Where is that exactly ?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:15:22 PM by John »

Offline John

In the UK we have the Official Secrets Act which binds all police officers to secrecy, the Portuguese must have something similar?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 05:24:09 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

In the UK we have the Official Secrets Act which binds all police officers to secrecy, the Portuguese must have something similar?

Apparently, but according to Amaral, it's just an administrative detail...

Offline Brietta

Apparently, but according to Amaral, it's just an administrative detail...

I think that 'administrative detail' might be one of the stumbling blocks he may have as an appellant ... the other being his denial of the McCanns' right to the presumption of innocence.

Since these were the two areas for which the judge ruled in the favour of the Drs McCann I can't see what leeway there is to appeal the decision except to contest the amount of the award made against him ... which is actually a bit of an irrelevance.

Offline Carana

I think that 'administrative detail' might be one of the stumbling blocks he may have as an appellant ... the other being his denial of the McCanns' right to the presumption of innocence.

Since these were the two areas for which the judge ruled in the favour of the Drs McCann I can't see what leeway there is to appeal the decision except to contest the amount of the award made against him ... which is actually a bit of an irrelevance.

I doubt that he could qualify as a legitimate "whistleblower", if ever that was one of his ideas...

You can't both be a whistleblower with no substantiated evidence other than your garbled understanding of facts and claim that your works are based on publicly accessible files... can you?

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:35:53 PM by Carana »

Offline Alice Purjorick

There are appeals in this country based on the magistrates or judges having made a judgement for reasons  outwith their authority. It could conceivably be that.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

There are appeals in this country based on the magistrates or judges having made a judgement for reasons  outwith their authority. It could conceivably be that.

seems like he hasn't been able to come up with a reason just yet

Offline Brietta

I truly don't think it will be that ... I think the judge has given no leeway at all to twist and turn ... the simplicity of the ruling has left no hostage to fortune.  She seems to be a pretty sharp lady, which is only to be expected.

Offline mercury

It may be indisputable now, (that a few people have made more than one donationand I have read all the posts today now)  it wasn't to me yesterday when I questioned, there is no need to get flummoxed and wonder about comprehensibility, I didn't take "umbrage" to any "facts"either as you put it, just to assertions, so unless you expect people to accept all postings as true, then expect to be questioned.

That's all dear.

Offline mercury

But if a case is shelved / closed does this law still pertain?
And if Mr Amaral broke it, why haven't  the authorities gone after him for it?
And how  does this all square with the fact that the authorities gave out the PJ Files to journalists? Straight after the case was shelved?

ETA: IIRC theMccanns lawyer took this to court and it was thrown out
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:09:26 PM by mercury »