Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853808 times)

ferryman

It's possible and maybe it requires at first no new evidence just one eureka moment.
If it is solved I think Mr Amaral will be satisfied, whatever the proven solution turns out to be, justice is all.
Meanwhile it's important to counter ongoing IMO attempts to destroy him.
BTW were meetings Lisbon mid-Jan '11 about this libel case ?

Do you think Amaral's attempts to destroy the McCanns, ultimately by having them rot in a Portuguese jail for the next 25 years for a crime someone else committed against their daughter, should simply be brushed aside/disregarded/ignorned?

ferryman

I think the worse day of his life was the day he was appointed to the McCann investigation.

Quite possibly.

The second worst day of the McCanns' life too -- and Madeleine's extended family.

Offline jassi

Do you think Amaral's attempts to destroy the McCanns, ultimately by having them rot in a Portuguese jail for the next 25 years for a crime someone else committed against their daughter, should simply be brushed aside/disregarded/ignorned?

What crime did you have in mind ? The police haven't yet determined that a crime has been committed.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

ferryman

What crime did you have in mind ? The police haven't yet determined that a crime has been committed.

I don't think anyone disputes crime(s) was/were committed against Madeleine (whatever happened to her).

Do they?

Offline jassi

What crime do the police say has been committed?
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

ferryman

What crime do the police say has been committed?

Crimes unknown.

There is no trace of Madeleine.

But abduction seems top of the bill as one.

I cannot conceive how she could have vanished without crimes having been committed.

Can you?

Offline jassi

It is highly probable that some crime has been committed, but until the cause of her disappearance has been determined beyond doubt, it will only remain a probability.

Or maybe not -

Offline Carew

Crimes unknown.

There is no trace of Madeleine.

But abduction seems top of the bill as one.

I cannot conceive how she could have vanished without crimes having been committed.

Can you?

Got out of the apartment and wandered?.........met with an accident re hole made during roadworks which were later filled in?

Wasn`t this mentioned as "possible" on a thread somewhere?

ferryman

Got out of the apartment and wandered?.........met with an accident re hole made during roadworks which were later filled in?

Wasn`t this mentioned as "possible" on a thread somewhere?

I recall reading in the files (somewhere) that roadworks were uncovered and searched and no trace of a body was found.

Besides, Kate firmly squashed woke and wandered ...

Offline pegasus

Do I take it that you see the McCanns attempt to enforce their legitimate legal rights through the Portuguese courts as attempts to  "destroy him"?  How very melodramatic.

Who or what forced him (having failed to bring a prosecution) to write a book and make a documentary accusing two grieving parents of crimes, and attempting to damage their reputations.

Face facts - he saw an opportunity to get rich on the back of a missing child - he lost. Tough.

I take it you are happy to have a bent, greedy thuggish ex cop as your role model?  Happy days.
I find your "saw an opportunity to get rich on the back of a missing child" by writing a book difficult to understand.
Do you also believe the first of its usual extensions, which that Cristovao the same?

Offline Carew

I recall reading in the files (somewhere) that roadworks were uncovered and searched and no trace of a body was found.

Besides, Kate firmly squashed woke and wandered ...

Thankyou for that.......I hadn`t realised that the roadworks had been uncovered and searched.

Kate "firmly squashing" anything is neither here nor there, though.

Offline Brietta

I find your "saw an opportunity to get rich on the back of a missing child" by writing a book difficult to understand.
Do you also believe the first of its usual extensions, which that Cristovao the same?

There is absolutely no doubt that Goncalo Amaral enjoyed a celebrity lifestyle and income directly as a result of his involvement with Madeleine McCann's case.

There was precedent for former police officer friends to write about cases of missing children and do very well financially as a result.

In Cristovao's writings about Madeleine ... he was at pains to introduce fictional detectives which apparently made his book an ordinary whodunnit ... Mr Amaral did not even pay lip service to anything other than his certainties being the whole truth.

Even if he is allowed to appeal, which we should hear about pretty soon ... he is going to have to think about getting himself a real job to pay his way ... as his career using Madeleine McCann as a cash cow and her parents as punch bags would be in my opinion ... at an end.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Jean-Pierre

What is difficult to understand?  He did write a book.  And he did get rich. 

The reason the book sold is because it was written by the (ex) cop in charge of the investigation, and he had become well known during the case.  So his book had more "credibility" than Cristavo's.

The case had attracted lot of interest.

The McCanns were spectacularly made arguidos in the disappearance of their daughter (but only because Amaral could not understand what was evidence and what was not).

Given all that has come out since - even one of the co respondants lawyers said that much of the book had been made up - I find it difficult to understand the posters on here who think Amaral is terribly hard done by and I would love to debate the reasons why.

He took a risk by breaking the rules (how many other ex cps have written about their cases) and he got caught.  Tough.

Offline pegasus

What is difficult to understand?  He did write a book.  And he did get rich. 

The reason the book sold is because it was written by the (ex) cop in charge of the investigation, and he had become well known during the case.  So his book had more "credibility" than Cristavo's.

The case had attracted lot of interest.

The McCanns were spectacularly made arguidos in the disappearance of their daughter (but only because Amaral could not understand what was evidence and what was not).

Given all that has come out since - even one of the co respondants lawyers said that much of the book had been made up - I find it difficult to understand the posters on here who think Amaral is terribly hard done by and I would love to debate the reasons why.

He took a risk by breaking the rules (how many other ex cps have written about their cases) and he got caught.  Tough.

I would be interested to know on what date you claim he first decided to get rich by writing a book - do you mean Oct 2nd? Or are you going so far back of 4th May?

Offline Jean-Pierre

I would be interested to know on what date you claim he first decided to get rich by writing a book - do you mean Oct 2nd? Or are you going so far back of 4th May?

Who knows. Obviously before the 28th July 2008.  Likely to have been written during the preceding few months.

The rules are there for a reason.  Can you name any other books written by ex cops about European cases they failed to solve and where the suspects they accuse of having committed the crime did not even reach the "charging" stage?