Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853689 times)

Offline G-Unit

Why was a new fund started (which apparently feeds into the extant one anyway)?

For people who didn't have PayPal, according to Leanne.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfred R Jones

I'm no legal expert, so my opinion counts for nothing. The questions I have are as follows. As the files had been made public when the book was published is it relevant when he wrote it? Does the right to the presumption of innocence apply to everyone or only to suspects? Are retired policemen still expected to uphold this principle?
The files don't draw the conclusions Amaral draws in his book do they?  The right to the presumption of innocence applies to everyone, but I don't see what difference that makes in this case, and yes, I  believe ex-policemen are expected to uphold this principle, why wouldn't they be?

Offline Eleanor

Why was a new fund started (which apparently feeds into the extant one anyway)?

Because The Portuguese weren't interested in helping him?

Offline pegasus

So?  He could have cited a lack of funds at any point up until the expiry of the appeal deadline as a get-out.  He can't now!
He decided to appeal. Translation: he is not looking for a "getout".

Alfred R Jones

He decided to appeal. Translation: he is not looking for a "getout".
For all you know his statement about appealing made shortly after the judgement could simply have been an act of bravado, an action that he never intended to pursue, citing a lack of funds as the stumbling block, which is an option no longer available to him. Still, he has nothing to lose, apart from whatever remaining shred of credibility he clings to, and a whole bunch of his fanclub's dosh. 

Offline Carana

And yet that's where he is supposed to be a national hero?

Alfred R Jones

And yet that's where he is supposed to be a national hero?
I'd like to see some evidence of his national hero status.  Has his face appeared on a stamp yet??

Offline Eleanor

I'd like to see some evidence of his national hero status.  Has his face appeared on a stamp yet??

Nope.  But a Stamp might appear on his Face one day.

Alfred R Jones

@)(++(*

Offline Carana

For all you know his statement about appealing made shortly after the judgement could simply have been an act of bravado, an action that he never intended to pursue, citing a lack of funds as the stumbling block, which is an option no longer available to him. Still, he has nothing to lose, apart from whatever remaining shred of credibility he clings to, and a whole bunch of his fanclub's dosh.

Trying to see if from his side, I'd probably attempt to find any vaguely plausible reason to appeal, particularly if my fan club was willing to foot the bill of doing so.

On a tangential issue, was it ever confirmed one way or another whether there was any attempt to settle by either party prior to this outcome (aside from an Amaral-pally tab reporter for TV Mais)?

In the early days he was quite confident that the McCanns would never sue him even though he'd have welcomed it. Something to do with the idea that doing so might reopen the case, and burblings about aces and non-missing pink blankets.

Offline Alice Purjorick

U.S Male by Jerry Reed  8(0(*
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

That's quite an interesting point...he seems to have little support in Portugal

Offline pegasus

I have some evidence of high respect for him at the top level of a national political party.
And locally by real people in Olhão.
His selection as their candidate by the Partido Social Democrata indicated great respect by them for him.
And his amazing 53% in the pre-election poll shows the huge local public respect for him.
I would like to see him on the UK £1 stamp.

Alfred R Jones

I have some evidence of high respect for him at the top level of a national political party.
And locally by real people in Olhão.
His selection as their candidate by the Partido Social Democrata indicated great respect by them for him.
And his amazing 53% in the pre-election poll shows the huge local public respect for him.
I would like to see him on the UK £1 stamp.
@)(++(* 

Well now that we know Gonc is a hugely popular national Portuguese hero it really does make you wonder why there hasn't been a fund of at least double the size of the UK one.  Surely not everyone in Portugal is THAT strapped for a few euros?

Offline pegasus

@)(++(* 

Well now that we know Gonc is a hugely popular national Portuguese hero it really does make you wonder why there hasn't been a fund of at least double the size of the UK one.  Surely not everyone in Portugal is THAT strapped for a few euros?
Thankyou for raising this important issue.
Portugese people can easily donate directly to Projecto Justiça Gonçalo Amaral
http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/