Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853741 times)

ferryman

I just wonder the judge might have played a canny hand in deliberately making the damage award (relatively!) modest, precisely so as to make it more difficult for Amaral to appeal?

Offline Brietta

So where is the confirmation that justifies the title of this thread?

It certainly isn't a State Secret if an appeal has been lodged ... so why has no one told us if one has been or not ... it might at least give people some information about whether they need to keep on making contributions to Mr Amaral's fund or if they can cancel their standing orders.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

ferryman

It certainly isn't a State Secret if an appeal has been lodged ... so why has no one told us if one has been or not ... it might at least give people some information about whether they need to keep on making contributions to Mr Amaral's fund or if they can cancel their standing orders.

Thing is that if he hasn't lodged an appeal, or if he's lodged one that's been rejected, that's it!

The McCanns are outright winners at first instance ....

stephen25000

Thing is that if he hasn't lodged an appeal, or if he's lodged one that's been rejected, that's it!

You can live in hope ferryman.  8(0(*

Offline Alice Purjorick

Red bit: If he hasn't made the time limit or it has been bounced already I think we would know don't you?
Blue bit: "outright" will depend on what the P & L looks like.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

ferryman

Red bit: If he hasn't made the time limit or it has been bounced already I think we would know don't you?
Blue bit: "outright" will depend on what the P & L looks like.

Depends.

If he's not even entered an appeal, it might all just lie dormant.

Ms Baulch did promise there would be an announcement when the appeal had been lodged.

There has been no announcement.

ferryman

Just read this post, on another board elsewhere:

responding to:

"...still causing massive heartache amongst the remaining handful of cultists"

(Reply):

That's because they knew their only chance was to stop the gofundme page on day 1 - and they tried, and failed!

And now we look forward to news of Amaral's appeal being lodged next week.

Next week?

Too late already ....

Offline Montclair

Just read this post, on another board elsewhere:

responding to:

"...still causing massive heartache amongst the remaining handful of cultists"

(Reply):

That's because they knew their only chance was to stop the gofundme page on day 1 - and they tried, and failed!

And now we look forward to news of Amaral's appeal being lodged next week.

Next week?

Too late already ....

It's not too late! You still don't seem to understand that the first instance judge cannot stop the appeal from going to a higher court. That would be a denial of justice. The basis of appealing is that the arguments of the appellant are seen by different judges, that's the way it is in Portugal.

Offline Mr Gray

It's not too late! You still don't seem to understand that the first instance judge cannot stop the appeal from going to a higher court. That would be a denial of justice. The basis of appealing is that the arguments of the appellant are seen by different judges, that's the way it is in Portugal.

so montclair who wrongly told us that all questions asked by the pj had to be approved by the judge is now offering us more legal advice

ferryman

He had 40 calendar days to appeal, from a point towards the end of April.

The 40 calendar days were up, about 4 days ago.

If he intends waiting until next week to lodge an appeal, he is too late.

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
so montclair who wrongly told us that all questions asked by the pj had to be approved by the judge is now offering us more legal advice

I think she said legal advice was from her friends daughter (a lawyer). Now who has a daughter , who is supposed to be a lawyer?  £5%4%
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline Montclair

Don't be stupid.  He wrote a book accusing grieving parents of committing crimes with no evidence or due process.  If he had not been the coordinator of the case nobody would have taken any notice. 

It seems amaral was arrogant enough to believe the rules didn't apply to him.

Even if he were considered guilty of not respecting the "dever de reserva" I don't see how would be worth € 500.000,00 plus interest to the McCanns when they didn't even suffer significant damages and they are the ones who are ultimately responsible for everything that has happened when they neglected their children. It was up to his hierarchy to sanction him and not a civil judge 7 years later. I wonder if there is a statute of limitations on this type of breach?

ferryman

Even if he were considered guilty of not respecting the "dever de reserva" I don't see how would be worth € 500.000,00 plus interest to the McCanns when they didn't even suffer significant damages and they are the ones who are ultimately responsible for everything that has happened when they neglected their children. It was up to his hierarchy to sanction him and not a civil judge 7 years later. I wonder if there is a statute of limitations on this type of breach?

The loss of a loved and cherished daughter is the most trivial loss of all.

And there always to blame the actions of an abductor/assailant on guardians.

Why James Bulger's mother was never locked up, I can't begin to imagine ....

Offline mercury

Turnng ones head away from ones chld for 5 seconds is not a crime, your sarcasm doesnt help much

stephen25000

The loss of a loved and cherished daughter is the most trivial loss of all.

And there always to blame the actions of an abductor/assailant on guardians.

The loss of their child is a consequence of their lack of childcare.

There is no one else to blame ferryman for neglect.