Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853623 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3180 on: September 22, 2015, 02:51:25 PM »
Or Yanks who've been scamming it all along. A wise man once told me to never believe everything you read or see on the internet.
Or even Yanks with Portuguese backgrounds...?

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3181 on: September 22, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »
I responded to a post.

I would be very much obliged if you would refrain from putting words into my mouth or into my posts which were not there in the first instance ... or could even be loosely assumed to be my intended meaning.

Do you do this with other posters or am I uniquely in your sights?

Agreed that at the moment the discussion is the opaque and unaudited Amaral Fund for his appeal against the Portuguese judge's ruling against him.
The transparent and audited Madeleine Fund season really doesn't begin until December through to early January ... however I don't see that particular post you have picked on as making any connection with the Drs McCann legal costs and fail to see how you make that connection.

Not uniquely no.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #3182 on: September 22, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »
Yep, got to be Brits doing this. Two donations of 4,000 Pounds each  within ten minutes?

But I really don't mind.  It won't affect the ultimate outcome.
But Eleanor all donations at UK gofundme are accounted for in Pounds, even if the donor has a  Euro bank account.
And the fact that both donations are round numbers in Pounds may have the following explanation...
The max donation at US gofundme is IMO$50K, but what is the max donation at UK gofundme? Could it be £4K? That might explain the donation being split into two parts
... and might even indicate that this fundraising effort by the "Anônimo" group of people in Portugal is ongoing and there is more to come?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:02:33 PM by pegasus »

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3183 on: September 22, 2015, 03:07:52 PM »
Or Yan.ks who've been scamming it all along. A wise man once told me to never believe everything you read or see on the internet.

It's okay though.  Everyone must have the right to do as they please when it comes to spending their money.  And I don't really care if it is misguided, although only in my opinion.  And if The Internet has misguided them, then more fool them.  They will never get their money back, no matter what happens.

Personally, I believe that Goncalo Amaral will lose, but he was always going to Appeal.  Why should he not?  He has nothing more to lose.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3184 on: September 22, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »
But Eleanor all donations at UK gofundme are accounted for in Pounds, even if the donor has a  Euro bank account.
And the fact that both donations are round numbers in Pounds may have the following explanation...
The max donation at US gofundme is IMO$50K, but what is the max donation at UK gofundme? Could it be £4K? That might explain the donation being split into two parts
... and might even indicate that this fundraising effort by the "Anônimo" group of people in Portugal is ongoing and there is more to come?

It could be so.  But why not to have done it sooner and individually?  Eight thousand Quid at the same time is a little hard to swallow.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3185 on: September 22, 2015, 03:17:57 PM »
It could be so.  But why not to have done it sooner and individually?  Eight thousand Quid at the same time is a little hard to swallow.

If the donor has a euro bank account, then why use a site denominated in £ - with two sets of conversions costs.  And why use the GoFundMe site instead of just making a contribution to the Lisbon bank account? 

Unless they like the GoFundMe site so much they wanted to make a present of £400?

Offline Carana

« Reply #3186 on: September 22, 2015, 03:23:30 PM »
Calculate MF's website costs in their first accounting year, as a percentage of MF's online donations, and you will find that gofundme's 5% fee is very reasonable in comparision.

Erm...

I'm not sure that I understand your comparison.

Someone has yet to explain to me where the 2007 Paypal fees were in the accounts. Under banking charges? Paypal isn't a bank.

Why not simply donate via a direct transfer to the original PJGA account? Wouldn't that make more available to Amaral for his legal fees? Particularly if the recent donations came from Euroland?

Offline jassi

« Reply #3187 on: September 22, 2015, 03:27:15 PM »
Maybe the donors didn't realise there was a charge.
Who cares anyway?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Carana

« Reply #3188 on: September 22, 2015, 03:33:17 PM »
If the donor has a euro bank account, then why use a site denominated in £ - with two sets of conversions costs.  And why use the GoFundMe site instead of just making a contribution to the Lisbon bank account? 

Unless they like the GoFundMe site so much they wanted to make a present of £400?

I don't understand it either.

£4,000 x 2 wasn't it, according to Montclair?

Simply amazing to see that the fund is now at £ 47.000,00!!! Two donations of £ 4.000,00 each were made this morning.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=6269.msg274356#msg274356

Or was that a typo?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3189 on: September 22, 2015, 03:38:28 PM »
Maybe the donors didn't realise there was a charge.
Who cares anyway?

Well certainly not me.  So we can agree on that.  But it isn't actually going to make any difference.  How much donated money Amaral might have won't win the case for him.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #3190 on: September 22, 2015, 03:39:17 PM »
Has Amaral got the best lawyer?  He's certainly got though a few of them in his time.  And - ever heard of "pro bono"?  If Amaral is destitute, but with masses of support from the legal community and a dead cert to win his appeal, I would have thought they'd be queuing up round the block to help him for free.

Is that why Isobel Duarte is acting in a pro bono capacity for the McCanns ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #3191 on: September 22, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »

Is she?

Lyall

« Reply #3192 on: September 22, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »
why have they chosen to stay anonymous...something not right

Because they don't fancy having Sky News camping on their doorstep?

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #3193 on: September 22, 2015, 04:01:45 PM »

Are you getting your "pro bono" and "contingent fee" a bit mixed up?

Either way, the answer is no.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #3194 on: September 22, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
Because they don't fancy having Sky News camping on their doorstep?
Why would they do that?  They weren't abusive trolls as well were they?  Sky has shown no interest in Gonc's fund as far as I'm aware...