Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853818 times)

ferryman

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3990 on: December 07, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »
The truth of Madeline's disappearance has not been ascertained.

Meanwhile you will say anything in defence of the McCann's.

Just as you will say anything in defence of Amaral.

Stalemate.

Until the relative merits of statements made are more carefully considered ...

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #3991 on: December 07, 2015, 09:30:37 PM »
The truth of Madeline's disappearance has not been ascertained.

Meanwhile you will say anything in defence of the McCann's.

we are talking about libel...and what it means...the fact that the truth re maddie has not been proved is no defence

stephen25000

« Reply #3992 on: December 07, 2015, 09:31:34 PM »
Just as you will say anything in defence of Amaral.

Stalemate.

Until the relative merits of statements made are more carefully considered ...

The difference being with me, is that I know Amaral made mistakes.

Now ferryman, what mistakes did the McCann's make ?

stephen25000

« Reply #3993 on: December 07, 2015, 09:32:13 PM »
we are talking about libel...and what it means...the fact that the truth re maddie has not been proved is no defence

and what if Madeleine dried in the apartment Dave ?

ferryman

« Reply #3994 on: December 07, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »
The difference being with me, is that I know Amaral made mistakes.

Now ferryman, what mistakes did the McCann's make ?

You first.

What mistakes do you consider Amaral made?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #3995 on: December 07, 2015, 09:34:06 PM »

we are talking about libel...you obviously don't understand the law

stephen25000

« Reply #3996 on: December 07, 2015, 09:35:44 PM »
we are talking about libel...you obviously don't understand the law

I understand the law.

I have seen people who have used this tactic of claiming libel to escape justice.

eg.   Jeffrey Archer.

ferryman

« Reply #3997 on: December 07, 2015, 09:36:15 PM »

What if Amaral's "abductor" (who would then be her murderer) murdered her in the apartment before taking her body away, you mean?

Offline mercury

« Reply #3998 on: December 07, 2015, 09:37:51 PM »
simply...if you accuse the mccanns of covering up Maddie's death...that is libel unless you can prove it is true

Oh really? So nothing at all on the plaintiffs to prove it is false? Well well....

In Portugal IIRC it is different......if it is an honestly held opinion it cannot be libel

Let us not forget the crux....it was a hypothesis.....legitimately made by a police force whe job it was go do that very thing...as I said, bizarre

stephen25000

« Reply #3999 on: December 07, 2015, 09:38:16 PM »
What if Amaral's "abductor" (who would then be her murderer) murdered her in the apartment before taking her body away, you mean?

What abductor ferryman ?

CRIME UNKNOWN.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4000 on: December 07, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »
Oh really? So nothing at all on the plaintiffs to prove it is false? Well well....

In Portugal IIRC it is different......if it is an honestly held opinion it cannot be libel

Let us not forget the crux....it was a hypothesis.....legitimately made by a police force whe job it was go do that very thing...as I said, bizarre

I don't think anyone on here really understands Portuguese libel law...you are just repeating gossip basically...it seems  amaral has been judged to have defamed the McCanns
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:42:21 PM by davel »

Offline mercury

« Reply #4001 on: December 07, 2015, 09:51:19 PM »
I don't think anyone on here really understands Portuguese libel law...you are just repeating gossip basically...it seems  amaral has been judged to have defamed the McCanns

Which gossip is that then? That I am repeating??

Must leave you to babble for a while, be back soon!!!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4002 on: December 07, 2015, 10:11:18 PM »
The Daily Express has published today on page 21 a clarification regarding the damages trial. I can only write transcript of what the apology stated:

"Amplifications and Clarifications

Gonçalo Amaral -Correction

On the 29 April 2015 we published a headline on the front page which said "Maddy detective did lie about death cover up claim". We would like to make it clear that there was no determination by the court that Mr. Amaral lied. In fact the court ruled that Mr. Amaral had breached the McCanns' right to reputation and ordered him to pay damages to them."

this is not a declaration that amaral did not lie.....it is a statement saying there was no determination by the court...he obviously did lie

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #4003 on: December 07, 2015, 10:36:35 PM »
nope

That is uncommonly reserved of you.
I find it "interesting" that all of the claim was booted out except "damages" awarded to the Drs McCann which were the amount Sr Amaral profited by behaving illicitly with respect to his former employment, some of which obligations carried forward into his retirement.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #4004 on: December 07, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
That is uncommonly reserved of you.
I find it "interesting" that all of the claim was booted out except "damages" awarded to the Drs McCann which were the amount Sr Amaral profited by behaving illicitly with respect to his former employment, some of which obligations carried forward into his retirement.

it seems no one really understands Portuguese libel law.....Oxford Bloo seemed to have a decent understanding...before being driven off the forum by the mob....From what he said I don't see amaral has any grounds for a successful appeal