Author Topic: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.  (Read 853638 times)

Alfred R Jones

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #4170 on: December 13, 2015, 05:10:21 PM »
The proof of the pudding will be in the eating ... it will be interesting to see if after the dust settles on the appeal ... Mr Amaral's presence as a pundit on Portuguese television holds the same sway.

Could be a nice little earner down the drain ... having Google read (LOL) some of the comments in the Portuguese press after the announcement of the judgement ... there are a lot of people in Portugal none too impressed by him.
Oh, but he's a national hero in Portugal isn't he?

Offline Brietta

Re: Gonçalo Amaral confirms he will appeal the damages decision to higher Court.
« Reply #4171 on: December 13, 2015, 06:19:28 PM »

There are a lot of highly intelligent people in Portugal who have had the advantage over us of not requiring the terms of the judgement to be translated.

May I say from the comments I have worked my way through there are many who as a matter of honour deplore the disregard for the law which Mr Amaral has shown by walking rough shod over the rights of the individual, whatever they think of the Drs McCann.
There is also a resonance of the judge's opinion on the abuse of his official position.

It remains to be seen if the appeal judges concur ... I think there is an excellent chance they will.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline John

« Reply #4172 on: January 14, 2016, 02:57:07 AM »
The Court of Appeal in Lisbon is certainly taking its time in making a decision in the McCann damages case but with so much at stake literally I suppose it was inevitable.  Hopefully the next few weeks will see this issue resolved.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

ferryman

« Reply #4173 on: January 14, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
The Court of Appeal in Lisbon is certainly taking its time in making a decision in the McCann damages case but with so much at stake literally I suppose it was inevitable.  Hopefully the next few weeks will see this issue resolved.

Why is that certain?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #4174 on: January 20, 2016, 10:34:32 PM »

I don't belive  he is a 'national hero' anywhere. However , I think it is important to point out to the small minded skeptic [ censored word ]s here that Many people may not have read his book , or belives in his thesis, but they were/are outraged that he was denied freedom of expression to write a book about subject matter he had experience of.

Not to mention the disgusting way in which the McCanns set about getting the book banned, and their belated belief that the whole family including their 'missing daughter' were harmed by the contents of the said book. ( at the same time claiming being 'abducted' she came to no harm at all).. fantastic stuff.

It is also worth mentioning, that this behaviour did change the minds of many I spoke to at least, why they went after the co ordinator to get the book banned -it has  reverse psychology for many.  And then the pursuit of money just wreeks of ambulance chasing behaviour, even though they claimed they did not know the fate of their daughter, and it wasn't about the money!
________________________________________________________________________________________

So what will we know in a few weeks John?
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline John

« Reply #4175 on: January 20, 2016, 11:00:27 PM »
Goncalo Amaral once claimed in an interview that he was surprised when the McCanns raised the damages action against him one year after the book had been published.  Could it be that he sorely underestimated the issue at stake?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #4176 on: January 20, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
Goncalo Amaral once claimed in an interview that he was surprised when the McCanns raised the damages action against him one year after the book had been published.  Could it be that he sorely underestimated the issue at stake?

Issue at stake ? The McCanns reputation? that is what this is about. nothing more> nothing less, well a million quid as well but that wasn't an issue. (chuckles)

Oh I took that to be him wondering why it took a whole year for them to use  the law. I mean, the book was about what he knew about the case along with some insight he had,his opinions etc. good ole detective story if you will.

What did you mean by this John? "Hopefully the next few weeks will see this issue resolved".
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline John

« Reply #4177 on: January 20, 2016, 11:56:47 PM »
Issue at stake ? The McCanns reputation? that is what this is about. nothing more> nothing less, well a million quid as well but that wasn't an issue. (chuckles)

Oh I took that to be him wondering why it took a whole year for them to use  the law. I mean, the book was about what he knew about the case along with some insight he had,his opinions etc. good ole detective story if you will.

What did you mean by this John? "Hopefully the next few weeks will see this issue resolved".

A decision in the damages case appeal.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #4178 on: January 21, 2016, 11:27:11 AM »

I don't imagine either side expected it to be entering it's eighth year.

Ah ! well a-day ! what evil looks
Had I from old and young !
Instead of the cross, the Albatross
About my neck was hung.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

stephen25000

« Reply #4179 on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:48 PM »
I don't imagine either side expected it to be entering it's eighth year.

Ah ! well a-day ! what evil looks
Had I from old and young !
Instead of the cross, the Albatross
About my neck was hung.

Very poignant Alice.

Offline Carana

« Reply #4180 on: January 21, 2016, 08:32:17 PM »

At one point he seemed to be in favour of it... something about enticing bulls into a ring in order to fight. Or something.

Not sure I could find the reference to this so many years later.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #4181 on: January 21, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »
At one point he seemed to be in favour of it... something about enticing bulls into a ring in order to fight. Or something.

Not sure I could find the reference to this so many years later.

Amaral did say, "Bring it on.  I want them to sue me."  And so they did.

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #4182 on: January 21, 2016, 10:00:25 PM »
What 's that saying - be careful what you wish for?  @)(++(*

Online Eleanor

« Reply #4183 on: January 21, 2016, 10:26:44 PM »
What 's that saying - be careful what you wish for?  @)(++(*

Oh, I think it was a bit more serious than that.  Like, You and whose bleeidin army?

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #4184 on: January 21, 2016, 10:28:29 PM »

'Target was hit, Gonçalo Amaral was convicted'... Marcos Aragão Correia, Leonor Cipriano's Lawyer
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.