Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535583 times)

Offline G-Unit

I am sorry mercury, but I cannot search as I used to.  My eyes will not allow it, but I have found some more info about Judges

http://joana-morais.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/lisbon-appeals-court-ruling.html

Joana is saying that the following (underlined) were Judges:
Francisco Bruto da Costa
Catarina Arelo Manso
António Valente

Our information says the following were involved, but were all three Judges ?
Ferreira de Almeida - relator
Catarina Manso - 1* adjunta
Alexandrina Branquinho - 2* adjunta

I dont speak PT, but from the above, it seems likely that there were more than three.  If so, I wonder what their names were ?

That was the injunction being overturned, Sadie, not the latest judgement.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Brietta

Thank you mercury.  Very kind of you. 

I had seen that ... but I thought that a large number of Judiciary decided this case ? 

Am I wrong ?   If not, where is the list of names ?

Any idea ?

Jean Pierre posted

I think you may need to be careful in making statements like that John.  The court of second instance is still a constitutional court, and therefore most of the judges are not career judges, but co-opted or appointed by the assembly. 

The most senior judges in Portugal are members of Higher Council of Magistracy, and work in the senior courts of which the Supreme Court is one.

That is not to say that the three judges in this case, were not highly experienced and good at what they do - it is not possible to tell without knowing their background and career path.   

There is a fundamental difference between English Law, which founded on common law and where Judges have much more freedom to interpret and "make" the law, and most continental systems which are rules based and judges main function is to determine which of a narrow set of rules to follow in a particular case.  In that sense they are more akin to civil servants or administrators. 

This is not being in any sense derogatory - both systems have their merits and disadvantages - but it is important not to confuse the two.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=7153.msg327968#msg327968
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Montclair

I am sorry mercury, but I cannot search as I used to.  My eyes will not allow it, but I have found some more info about Judges

http://joana-morais.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/lisbon-appeals-court-ruling.html

Joana is saying that the following (underlined) were Judges:
Francisco Bruto da Costa
Catarina Arelo Manso
António Valente

Our information says the following were involved, but were all three Judges ?
Ferreira de Almeida - relator
Catarina Manso - 1* adjunta
Alexandrina Branquinho - 2* adjunta

I dont speak PT, but from the above, it seems likely that there were more than three.  If so, I wonder what their names were ?

Ferreira de Almeida, Catarina Manso ad Alexandrina Branquinho are all judges.

stephen25000

Jean Pierre posted

I think you may need to be careful in making statements like that John.  The court of second instance is still a constitutional court, and therefore most of the judges are not career judges, but co-opted or appointed by the assembly. 

The most senior judges in Portugal are members of Higher Council of Magistracy, and work in the senior courts of which the Supreme Court is one.

That is not to say that the three judges in this case, were not highly experienced and good at what they do - it is not possible to tell without knowing their background and career path.   

There is a fundamental difference between English Law, which founded on common law and where Judges have much more freedom to interpret and "make" the law, and most continental systems which are rules based and judges main function is to determine which of a narrow set of rules to follow in a particular case.  In that sense they are more akin to civil servants or administrators. 

This is not being in any sense derogatory - both systems have their merits and disadvantages - but it is important not to confuse the two.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=7153.msg327968#msg327968

Does Sadie now believe the judges are involved in a conspiracy as well  ? &%+((£

Offline sadie

There's nothing quite like having the real thing to handle and be able to mark favourite passages to savour again and again8)-)))

A signed copy of course

Jeez, Jassi

What an unpleasant mind you have.

What has made you that avaricious, I wonder ?

stephen25000

Jeez, Jassi

What an unpleasant mind you have.

What has made you that avaricious, I wonder ?

Sadie, what do you mean by avaricious in this context ?

You have claimed to meet the McCanns and been happy to do so.

That in itself would sour your judgement in this case.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:44:28 PM by stephen25000 »

Offline ShiningInLuz

The first judgement rested on two points. One was that Amaral breached judicial secrecy. The other was that he should have honoured the presumption of innocence.

The Appeal judges pointed out that his conclusions were already in the public arena before his book was released. Presumption of innocence refers to suspects which the McCanns were not. They also pointed out that the McCanns forfeited their right to privacy by courting the media, doing photoshoots and interviews, making videos etc. They also publicised their theory of abduction, opening the way for competing theories to be published.

It's all here, and the judgement is right at the end if you scroll down.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/
Thank you.
What's up, old man?

ferryman

The first judgement rested on two points. One was that Amaral breached judicial secrecy. The other was that he should have honoured the presumption of innocence.

The Appeal judges pointed out that his conclusions were already in the public arena before his book was released. Presumption of innocence refers to suspects which the McCanns were not. They also pointed out that the McCanns forfeited their right to privacy by courting the media, doing photoshoots and interviews, making videos etc. They also publicised their theory of abduction, opening the way for competing theories to be published.

It's all here, and the judgement is right at the end if you scroll down.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/

One point that exercised the mind of the first-instance judge was Amaral's promise of 'revelations'.

Emphatically and unreservedly assertions of Amaral's (to enter the public domain) were:

*that Amaral corrected and contradicted Prior on interpretation of the forensic results

*that Prior rang the FSS to berate them on the subject of the PJ's powers of arrest

*that Mark Harrison switched the enquiry to one for a little girl assumed dead, and even hinted her parents might be responsible (for her death)

*That Madeleine's remains were buried in close proximity to apartment 5a (PdL) (even though Harrison* reached no firm conclusion about what may have happened to Madeleine, including whether alive or dead).

These are all individual and unique assertions of Amaral's.

All devoid of fact.

All tending to malign and traduce.

All tending to contradict the basis upon which the appeal ruling (overturning the ruling of the court of first instance) rest.

*Edited to replace 'Harrison' for 'Amaral'
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:48:17 PM by ferryman »

stephen25000

One point that exercised the mind of the first-instance judge was Amaral's promise of 'revelations'.

Emphatically and unreservedly assertions of Amaral's (to enter the public domain) were:

*that Amaral corrected and contradicted Prior on interpretation of the forensic results

*that Prior rang the FSS to berate them on the subject of the PJ's powers of arrest

*that Mark Harrison switched the enquiry to one for a little girl assumed dead, and even hinted her parents might be responsible (for her death)

*That Madeleine's remains were buried in close proximity to apartment 5a (PdL) (even though Amaral reached no firm conclusion about what may have happened to Madeleine, including whether alive or dead).

These are all individual and unique assertions of Amaral's.

All devoid of fact.

All tending to malign and traduce.

All tending to contradict the basis upon which the appeal ruling (overturning the ruling of the court of first instance) rest.

When will you get it that the judgement has dealt with this thoroughly ?

ferryman

When will you get it that the judgement has dealt with this thoroughly ?

By the first-instance judge.

Ignored by the appeal judge.

stephen25000

This has all been dealt with already.

It is about time you realized that.

ferryman

This has all been dealt with already.

It is about time you realized that.

I realised that ages ago.

Time you did the same.

stephen25000

I realised that ages ago.

Time you did the same.

The first judge was incorrect in applying the law.

That is why her judgement was overturned.

What part of that do you not comprehend.

Offline pegasus

"We will endeavour to keep you informed as and when we receive further information regarding the re-appeal."
http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/statement_26.html
How many days now until the deadline for appealing to the supreme court?

Offline Alice Purjorick

Judges in the plural note, three of 'em like with a unanimous decision, notwithstanding the Appeal Court has "more rings up its sleeve" than the Court of First Instance.  So the Supreme Court awaits.

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey