Author Topic: Mikaeel Kular: Mother Rosdeep Kular appears in court on murder charge.  (Read 45519 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Mikaeel Kular: Mother Rosdeep Kular appears in court on murder charge.
« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2014, 09:10:10 PM »
A neighbour told me last night that the boy hadn't been seen since 29th December.  No doubt the other children will be interviewed about this.

A teenager living opposite is fairly sure that she'd seen him a couple of days prior to his reported disappearance.

Offline Carana

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2014, 09:11:52 PM »
Its all about trying to get 15 unbiased jurors who have not been subject to local gossip.

How does one achieve that when Internet gossip is accessible to anyone?

CPN

« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2014, 09:14:19 PM »
If you look at the mother's Instagram account - http://instagram.com/rosieallgood# here appear to be 2 photos of eth family, including Mikaeel, dated January 1st (which does not mean they were taken on January 1st of course)
and   And the photo the papers have been showing - is dated 27th December 2013

Whoops! None of the photos have come out!  Well, if you look through you can find them

Offline Carana

« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2014, 09:17:59 PM »
As British citizens and in fact, as European citizens of the same State (the UK), we are all entitled to the same justice but it doesn't happen that way.  England, Wales and N Ireland all operate on the same basis whereas Scotland has been allowed to maintain a different system.

I have seen many cases over the years where suspects have had murder charges laid on them simply to scare them into doing a deal and pleading to a lesser charge.

Consider this.  A guilty person will always want to get the best deal possible when there is evidence against him or her.  If they plead guilty to a lesser charge they get a third off their sentence and fast tracked through the system.  An innocent will not plead to something they didn't do. They will thus fight the full charge and if they lose they will be sentenced to the full term.

Hmmm. I wouldn't be too sure of that.

Offline Carana

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2014, 09:24:13 PM »
If you look at the mother's Instagram account - http://instagram.com/rosieallgood# here appear to be 2 photos of eth family, including Mikaeel, dated January 1st (which does not mean they were taken on January 1st of course)
and   And the photo the papers have been showing - is dated 27th December 2013

Whoops! None of the photos have come out!  Well, if you look through you can find them

His chocolate face photo was uploaded on 13 Jan (So cute.) The police would be able to work out when the photo was actually taken.

Offline VIXTE

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2014, 09:38:29 PM »
A neighbour told me last night that the boy hadn't been seen since 29th December.  No doubt the other children will be interviewed about this.

It has been reported that a neighbour who spoke to the police twice has seen Mikaeel alive on Monday

Cariad

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2014, 09:41:48 PM »
His chocolate face photo was uploaded on 13 Jan (So cute.) The police would be able to work out when the photo was actually taken.

Is that Mikaeel? I thought it was one of the older children?

The comments are horrific. God forbid the other kids look there!

AnneGuedes

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »
if it referred to anyone and wasnt a blanket inspirational quote could refer to her, she posted another about things always happening at once and life testing you...neither to do with her son if thats what you were suggesting imo
Sure.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2014, 10:37:39 PM »

That's the result of giving the name.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2014, 10:40:09 PM »
Anyone ? How ?

Offline Carana

« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2014, 10:47:52 PM »

Not sure if it's him or not, now that you mention it.

Yes, many of the comments are foul. The usual knee-jerk lynchmob reaction of people who don't seem to be able to step back and wait for facts.

How will jury members actually be selected?

Lyall

« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2014, 11:59:25 PM »

There's no problem with jury selection because there has been no public discussion of any of the evidence in the case.

Offline Carana

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2014, 12:25:19 AM »
There's no problem with jury selection because there has been no public discussion of any of the evidence in the case.

I agree, however people in Scotland and beyond were gripped by the case and the defendant has not only been named, but some outlets have gone beyond that.

My basic question is: if the media have aroused your emotions about the case and against the person charged, how easy is it to then stand back and be objective if you are selected for a jury?

My question goes beyond this particular case, I'm wondering about the issue in general.

Lyall

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2014, 01:10:47 AM »
I agree, however people in Scotland and beyond were gripped by the case and the defendant has not only been named, but some outlets have gone beyond that.

My basic question is: if the media have aroused your emotions about the case and against the person charged, how easy is it to then stand back and be objective if you are selected for a jury?

My question goes beyond this particular case, I'm wondering about the issue in general.

Would it be difficult for you? It wouldn't for me, and as the proportion of the population who obsess about cases on the internet is still very small I don't think it would be for most people.

But once a trial starts, especially in high-profile cases, there is then the additional problem of jurors being influenced by the public mood. Maybe that's the bigger problem?

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2014, 03:02:23 AM »
It has been reported that a neighbour who spoke to the police twice has seen Mikaeel alive on Monday

Only one person, as far as it seems at this point, reports having seen him recently. That was a 17 year old girl living opposite the flat. She has been interviewed twice by police and believes she saw him on Monday.

No-one else in the area remembers seeing him for some time.