Author Topic: Does the Madeleine McCann case warrant a Public Inquiry?  (Read 32417 times)

Offline Admin

Does the Madeleine McCann case warrant a Public Inquiry?
« on: April 11, 2015, 11:30:01 AM »
Here we are nearly eight years on and some £10 million worse for wear to the public purse and still by all accounts and despite the best efforts by both the Portuguese and English police, not a trace of Madeleine McCann has been found.

Given the conduct by those involved directly in the investigation and the numerous unanswered questions which surround them, is it now time for a Public Inquiry into the whole sordid affair?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 10:43:09 AM by Angelo222 »

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Does the Madeleine McCann case warrant a Public Inquiry?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 11:33:55 AM »
Here we are nearly eight years on and some £10 million worse for wear to the public purse and still by all accounts and despite the best efforts by both the Portuguese and English police, not a sign of Madeleine McCann has been found.

Given the conduct by those involved directly in the investigation and the numerous unanswered questions which surround them, is it now time for a Public Inquiry into the whole sordid affair?

No! that would be throwing good taxpayers money after bad. IMHO of course.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 11:40:48 AM »
Here we are nearly eight years on and some £10 million worse for wear to the public purse and still by all accounts and despite the best efforts by both the Portuguese and English police, not a trace of Madeleine McCann has been found.

you mean spend another 10 million

Offline Brietta

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 11:46:19 AM »
No! that would be throwing good taxpayers money after bad. IMHO of course.

There seems to be no appetite for a public inquiry ... as the organisers of a petition in another place have discovered.

I do not agree that investigating the cases of missing children is "bad money" ... but I do agree a public inquiry in this instance would be an unnecessary use of resources, time and effort.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 12:05:57 PM »
There seems to be no appetite for a public inquiry ... as the organisers of a petition in another place have discovered.

I do not agree that investigating the cases of missing children is "bad money" ... but I do agree a public inquiry in this instance would be an unnecessary use of resources, time and effort.

I didn't say it was. I think Operation Grange is questionable in principle regardless of the names involved.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
I didn't say it was. I think Operation Grange is questionable in principle regardless of the names involved.

Agreed Alice. As SY have absolutely no judicial power in Portugal unless their investigation tallys with what has been unearthed by the PJ what exactly is the point of spending all that money ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 01:36:08 PM »

Who do you mean by "those involved directly in the investigation"?

Offline Admin

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
Who do you mean by "those involved directly in the investigation"?

Everyone ie witnesses, police, private investigators, press etc etc... 

There are some questionable practices which have gone on in this case apart from the events surrounding Madeleine's dissapearance and which many consider to have been illegal under Portuguese criminal law.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:16:37 PM by Admin »

Offline misty

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 02:13:32 PM »

How can a public enquiry investigate the actions of the Portuguese police & press?

Offline Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 02:17:38 PM »
How can a public enquiry investigate the actions of the Portuguese police & press?

The Portuguese equivalent can.  It's time these matters were properly investigated and those culpable held to account.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 02:22:01 PM »

There are some questionable practices which have gone on in this case apart from the events surrounding Madeleine's dissapearance and which many consider to have been illegal under Portuguese criminal law.

Are you talking about the PJ leaking false information to the press.......the PJ lying to the McCanns during interviews

ferryman

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »
The Portuguese equivalent can.  It's time these matters were properly investigated and those culpable held to account.

The purpose of the present enquiry (as was the purpose of the first enquiry) is/was to identify those culpable and hold them to account ....

ferryman

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »
Are you talking about the PJ leaking false information to the press.......the PJ lying to the McCanns during interviews

I suspect they may get away with lying to the McCanns during interviews, because I suspect that may be regarded as a legitimate tactic (with, I should stress, the proviso that an honest account of events being produced in the final PJ document, which happened with Joao Carlos' genuinely fine final PJ report).

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 02:27:20 PM »

Deffo and about time too!   Far too many skeletons in far too many cupboards imo.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 02:29:23 PM »
SY were brought into review the case. Apart from the press, who ever thought they were going to arrest anyone? charge them ?

You can tell by the response of the supporters that Team McCann would hate the very idea of one.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin