Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 110460 times)

Offline faithlilly

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2020, 11:05:22 PM »
If you insult me then expect to be insulted back.  Treat me with respect and I will treat you with respect.  I think that’s only fair.  I am self-employed.  I hope more will be done for me and I believe that it will but if it isn’t then I will have to find ways to help myself.  The government cannot guarantee the financial solvency of every single citizen.  Despite your nasty earlier accusation that “I’m Alright Jack”, the truth is I’m quite the opposite, you’re just so intent on slagging me off you can’t see it.

TBH I’m really not too fussed about your insults....sticks and stones and all that....what I do find amusing is the hypocrisy....berating tit for tat tactics as being ‘childish’ when indulging in them yourself.

And of course the government can’t guarantee that every citizen is compensated but when someone who is earning £30000 is compensated to the tune of £24000 while self-employed, zero hours contractors etc etc are all but ignored then Sunak’s economic package certainly is too little. I do wonder whether Sunak’s striking good looks (! ) and your pragmatism will be enough to carry you through when  the consequences of his decisions really start to bite.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2020, 11:35:07 PM »
TBH I’m really not too fussed about your insults....sticks and stones and all that....what I do find amusing is the hypocrisy....berating tit for tat tactics as being ‘childish’ when indulging in them yourself.

And of course the government can’t guarantee that every citizen is compensated but when someone who is earning £30000 is compensated to the tune of £24000 while self-employed, zero hours contractors etc etc are all but ignored then Sunak’s economic package certainly is too little. I do wonder whether Sunak’s striking good looks (! ) and your pragmatism will be enough to carry you through when  the consequences of his decisions really start to bite.
I find you hypocrisy a constant source of amusement too, so perhaps that is why we get on so well.  @)(++(*

Don’t you worry your little head about me, I’m alright Jac  8(0(*
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:50:25 AM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2020, 12:06:40 AM »

Universal basic income has been mooted as a possible response to the situation....

"Daniel Susskind, a fellow in economics at Balliol College, Oxford university, suggests in the Financial Times today that a £1,000 cash payout per person, per month would cost the Government about £66bn a month"

He says this is "a fraction of the nearly £500bn bailout the UK needed to stay afloat during the 2008 financial crisis", adding: "Universal Basic Income is an affordable and feasible response to coronavirus."

Boris Johnson said introducing Universal Basic Income to aid financially hit workers "will certainly be considered" and agreed to hold talks with supporters of the proposed scheme.

But Downing Street sources indicated that the preferred option for supporting people would be to use the existing welfare system, according to North Wales Live."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/coronavirus-universal-basic-income-uk-17948185

Seems like a sensible temporary solution to me, but I think it pretty much guaranteed it won't happen.
The Tories can bail out banks, the aviation industry, car manufacturers & such like, but when it comes to actually helping the average Joe, I think they'd prefer he died in a ditch from starvation & dysentery, without the luxury of toilet paper.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2020, 01:27:07 AM »
I find you hypocrisy a constant source of amusement too, so perhaps that is why we get on so well.  @)(++(*

Don’t you worry you’re little head about me, I’m alright Jac  8(0(*

That should be Jack.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2020, 08:49:56 AM »
Universal basic income has been mooted as a possible response to the situation....

"Daniel Susskind, a fellow in economics at Balliol College, Oxford university, suggests in the Financial Times today that a £1,000 cash payout per person, per month would cost the Government about £66bn a month"

He says this is "a fraction of the nearly £500bn bailout the UK needed to stay afloat during the 2008 financial crisis", adding: "Universal Basic Income is an affordable and feasible response to coronavirus."

Boris Johnson said introducing Universal Basic Income to aid financially hit workers "will certainly be considered" and agreed to hold talks with supporters of the proposed scheme.

But Downing Street sources indicated that the preferred option for supporting people would be to use the existing welfare system, according to North Wales Live."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/coronavirus-universal-basic-income-uk-17948185

Seems like a sensible temporary solution to me, but I think it pretty much guaranteed it won't happen.
The Tories can bail out banks, the aviation industry, car manufacturers & such like, but when it comes to actually helping the average Joe, I think they'd prefer he died in a ditch from starvation & dysentery, without the luxury of toilet paper.
The financial aid package for “the average Joe”  has already in the space of a week risen to £330bn, quite a large fraction of the banks bailout (which incidentally happened under a Labour government) but hey, don’t let actual facts get in the way of your drivel.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/coronavirus-bailout-business-banks-rishi-sunak-financial-crisis-covid-19-a9407691.html
£1000 each per person per month, would amount to nearly £200bn in 3 months.  Would this money go to those with tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds or more in savings?  Those with private pensions? The super rich?  Asylum seekers?  Those already receiving benefits?  Apprentices?  Students? 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 08:59:08 AM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2020, 10:01:22 AM »
The financial aid package for “the average Joe”  has already in the space of a week risen to £330bn, quite a large fraction of the banks bailout (which incidentally happened under a Labour government) but hey, don’t let actual facts get in the way of your drivel.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/coronavirus-bailout-business-banks-rishi-sunak-financial-crisis-covid-19-a9407691.html
£1000 each per person per month, would amount to nearly £200bn in 3 months.  Would this money go to those with tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds or more in savings?  Those with private pensions? The super rich?  Asylum seekers?  Those already receiving benefits?  Apprentices?  Students?

The suggestion is 'universal' meaning all encompassing, & there are 66 million people in the UK. If you gave each one of them £1000,.....you do the math (s).

£200 billion in 3 months, by which time we should be able to leave our houses & resume normal life.

Asylum seekers?  Personally I'd pack them all of to Italy without face masks or hand sanitiser.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
The suggestion is 'universal' meaning all encompassing, & there are 66 million people in the UK. If you gave each one of them £1000,.....you do the math (s).

£200 billion in 3 months, by which time we should be able to leave our houses & resume normal life.

Asylum seekers?  Personally I'd pack them all of to Italy without face masks or hand sanitiser.
You think normal life will resume in 3 months if we’re each given a grand a month?  Hmm, ok.  Well personally we as a family would be positively rolling in cash if the government did that, so bring it on, we’d be able to spend the £9k on a nice foreign holiday in the summer, I hear Wuhan’s nice...

Actually, make that 12k, didn’t realise teenagers would be eligible for the £1k hand out too.  KERCHING.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2020, 10:17:09 AM »
You think normal life will resume in 3 months if we’re each given a grand a month?  Hmm, ok.  Well personally we as a family would be positively rolling in cash if the government did that, so bring it on, we’d be able to spend the £9k on a nice foreign holiday in the summer, I hear Wuhan’s nice...

Actually, make that 12k, didn’t realise teenagers would be eligible for the £1k hand out too.  KERCHING.

I'm only going by Daniel Susskind's figures as quoted in the article.

The actual cost would be considerably lower if it excluded unnecessary groups such as the super rich, under 16's & Muslims.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-universal-basic-income-uk-mps-lords-boris-johnson-a9413046.html

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2020, 10:25:27 AM »
"Given what we already know, or surmise, might it be worth considering a more ruthlessly but more narrowly targeted drive to confine the most apparently at-risk (like me, I fear) for our own protection, rather than (as it seems) wreck the economy by confining almost everybody else?"

This was precisely what I suggested last night, for which I received a 50% warning.

It's only the old & ill that are dying, so ship them all off somewhere, quarantine them all together & let the rest of us young healthy individuals go about life as normal.

Quite why that warranted a 50% warning I've no idea.

Perhaps the mod that issued the points might like to explain the reason, I won't hold my breath.

three doctors under 30 are on ventilators in London due to the virus...no doubt they will make a full recovery...But if the young dont practice some sort of isolation they will be responsible for the spread of the disaes and there wont be enough ventilators to go round...and the will die too....you really dont talk a lot of sense

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2020, 10:38:55 AM »
three doctors under 30 are on ventilators in London due to the virus...no doubt they will make a full recovery...But if the young dont practice some sort of isolation they will be responsible for the spread of the disaes and there wont be enough ventilators to go round...and the will die too....you really dont talk a lot of sense

I'm young & I've been self isolating so don't blame me, blame the Chinese, they started it.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2020, 10:52:14 AM »
I'm only going by Daniel Susskind's figures as quoted in the article.

The actual cost would be considerably lower if it excluded unnecessary groups such as the super rich, under 16's & Muslims.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-universal-basic-income-uk-mps-lords-boris-johnson-a9413046.html
As long as trolls and other undeserving idiots were excluded I’d be cool with that. 

Offline faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2020, 02:44:37 PM »
https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/cummings-led-government-strategy-which-protected-economy-and-put-elderly-at-risk/22/03/
I thing Cummings is a nasty little weasel and I can imagine him saying it, but suppose this was the calibre of evidence for something being put forward by a McCann supporter as evidence of a point they were trying to make in the other forum.  It would be rejected by you  a) on the grounds that it was in the MSM and b) on the grounds that no individual was specifically quoted as saying this.  Do your standards wax and wane according to what debate you’re having? 

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2020, 03:17:44 PM »
I thing Cummings is a nasty little weasel and I can imagine him saying it, but suppose this was the calibre of evidence for something being put forward by a McCann supporter as evidence of a point they were trying to make in the other forum.  It would be rejected by you  a) on the grounds that it was in the MSM and b) on the grounds that no individual was specifically quoted as saying this.  Do your standards wax and wane according to what debate you’re having?

I’m not asking you to believe it....just putting it out there.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2020, 03:22:19 PM »
I’m not asking you to believe it....just putting it out there.
Well if it’s true I guess we can be thankful that the little weasel changed his mind.  It is somewhat disturbing to know just how much the government is in thrall to this man.  The sooner he gets the boot the better IMO.