Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 109530 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #300 on: April 05, 2020, 01:34:55 PM »
I'm not convinced that any new UK government (from whichever party) would have taken decisive early action. Dealing with Brexit (in whichever way) was the original priority, and the Civil Service appears to have already been under stress over that.

I find it a great achievement to have converted a conference centre into a hospital in such a short time and no, there was no need for it back in December. The fact that they have been able to do so at short notice and so quickly appears as an indicator that that aspect of disaster planning had been well thought out and ready to execute.

The UK is by no means the only country in which the health services (and others) have been struggling with the aftermath of the 2008 banking crisis and subsequent austerity measures. Most countries are in a mess, for a variety of reasons.

I'd still like to know what other measures had been taken in the UK or were ready to roll after the 2016 report on the pandemic simulation in October of that year, coincidentally just a few months after the referendum.

Televised scene of BoJo and Trump (and others from various countries) continuing to shake hands at a time when the official message was to behave responsibly and observe rules of social distancing may well have conveyed conflicting messages as to the severity of the situation.
Good post.  I would say from my own personal observations that two months ago no one was taking this threat particularly seriously, and I deal with the public on a daily basis.  I would say that even a month ago most people were still behaving as they would usually and were cynical about and resistant to any suggestion of social distancing or lockdown.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #301 on: April 05, 2020, 01:52:33 PM »
Ok got it, thanks for the info. Easy enough to find but can't understand why you're unable to log in.

Any blog at present is better than being driven doolally by the Bamber board and the plague.

Rob has a link to a facebook page and others have done similar before, so don't see any reason why you can't promote your own underneath your avatar.

Can your son not help you with the computer problem?  Is it not possible for you to log in with the Apple button here?...

https://wordpress.com/log-in?redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Felenamitchell.wordpress.com%2Fwp-admin%2F

Ah Ha, you have sussed that I am on an Apple.  How did you do that?

My son, dear of him, thinks that his mother is half daft.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #302 on: April 05, 2020, 01:54:24 PM »
There is a lot of mis (dis) information doing the rounds.

I don't find it impossible that a pet could presumably have traces on its fur if someone comes home without washing their hands, then strokes the pet, who then cuddles up to the next person. Probably no more of a risk than plonking your shopping on a kitchen counter and not wiping it down afterwards.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00984-8
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Myster

« Reply #303 on: April 05, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »
Ah Ha, you have sussed that I am on an Apple.  How did you do that?

My son, dear of him, thinks that his mother is half daft.
You said that you were on an Apple years ago when you first joined here. Got a good memory.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Carana

« Reply #304 on: April 05, 2020, 02:14:34 PM »
I don't know what to think about Sweden's approach. Many other countries tried recommending social distancing and other measures as a precaution well before lockdowns.  The problem can be that people may not take it that seriously... which is when it can suddenly accelerate and get totally out of control.

Balancing the economy and public health is obviously a nightmare anywhere.

Their half-house approach might seem the right route for them the moment - if they're keeping on top of it. However, they don't seem to have done that many tests, either, which - without inside knowledge - seems a bit concerning.

Offline Carana

« Reply #305 on: April 05, 2020, 02:34:17 PM »
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00984-8

Thanks. My heart says that it is a horrible idea to deliberately infect animals and observe them dying. My head says that having done so may save countless others from being abandoned.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #306 on: April 05, 2020, 02:35:55 PM »
People of every faith have died trying to save others in the UK and elsewhere.

What on earth does it matter which mainstream religion, practised in a peaceful manner, anyone chooses to follow?

I find that offensive, on the behalf of so many kind and caring people, whatever their faith.

I wasn't around when this was made, but it might make people think a little:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMkNtiXxQAM

You only need to look at London to see where this is going. Even the taxi drivers lock their doors when driving through Brixton and other areas swarming with illegal immigrants.

I don't know about you Carana living in the remote rural glens of Scotland but I for one don't want this for my grandchildren.  I want my old England back again!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 02:39:11 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #307 on: April 05, 2020, 02:37:13 PM »
You said that you were on an Apple years ago when you first joined here. Got a good memory.

Golly Gosh.  I am really impressed..  I wouldn't own a computer if it wasn't an Apple.  I am just having a bit of a problem at the moment.

I am just about to dump this one because it is pushing its luck.  My last Apple lasted for nine years, but this one only for seven years.

So I probably got my money's worth.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #308 on: April 05, 2020, 02:40:39 PM »
 *%^^&c
You only need to look at London to see where this is going. Even the taxi drivers lock their doors when driving through Brixton and other areas swarming with illegal immigrants.

I don't know about you Carana living in the remote rural glens of Scotland but I for one don't want this for my grandchildren.

What, the same foreigners who gave their lives this week saving our fellow countrymen ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #309 on: April 05, 2020, 02:58:26 PM »

I don't know about you Carana living in the remote rural glens of Scotland but I for one don't want this for my grandchildren.  I want my old England back again!

No country wants huge numbers of "illegal" immigrants, Angelo.

What characterises your "old England"?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #310 on: April 05, 2020, 02:59:04 PM »

It’s gone forever, let it go.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #311 on: April 05, 2020, 03:33:54 PM »
It’s gone forever, let it go.

Yes I agree, we should embrace multiculturalism for all the benefits it brings, such as child rape gangs, acid attacks & suicide bombers.
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #312 on: April 05, 2020, 04:04:03 PM »
No country wants huge numbers of "illegal" immigrants, Angelo.

What characterises your "old England"?

Angelo couldn't spot Old England if he tried.  Once upon a time I thought he could, but even that wasn't important. 

I really liked someone who appeared to be reasonable, albeit on another Forum.  Angelo was actually okay in those days.

But now I have to tolerate someone who thinks that it is okay to beat a woman.?

I won't be having this again.

I will not be deleting Angelo's comments, but you all will get the rough side of my tongue if you dare.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #313 on: April 05, 2020, 04:05:20 PM »
*%^^&c
What, the same foreigners who gave their lives this week saving our fellow countrymen ?

Are there many illegal immigrants working in the NHS?
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #314 on: April 05, 2020, 04:06:07 PM »
Yes I agree, we should embrace multiculturalism for all the benefits it brings, such as child rape gangs, acid attacks & suicide bombers.
But that’s not what I said, you stupid troll.