Author Topic: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?  (Read 109500 times)

Offline faithlilly

Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Is Boris’s Lax Leadership Putting Us All in Danger ?
« Reply #526 on: April 26, 2020, 06:45:43 PM »
No it’s not ALL Boris’s fault. It’s also the fault of the previous  Tory government who didn’t implement the recommendations highlighted in a Operation Cygnus.

As to Richard Horton, I think over 20,000 deaths have proved him wrong.
Then there's the WHO who said in Jan. China had found no evidence of person to person transmission
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:48:01 PM by Davel »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #527 on: April 26, 2020, 07:25:07 PM »
Then there's the WHO who said in Jan. China had found no evidence of person to person transmission

Wuhan was locked down on the 23 of January so by then they certainly knew that the virus was able to be passed from person to person...a fact that this government would also have been aware of at least from then.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #528 on: April 26, 2020, 07:28:57 PM »
I blame Jeremy Corbyn for not raising this at PM's Questions in January.  He obviously knew just like the rest of us how this was all going to turn out and yet he said nothing.  Why not?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #529 on: April 26, 2020, 07:49:15 PM »
Wuhan was locked down on the 23 of January so by then they certainly knew that the virus was able to be passed from person to person...a fact that this government would also have been aware of at least from then.
The world over has found one of the most important thing is social distancing and staying home...yet the man you admire so much ignored that advice...thank god he ddint win the election...there'd be 50.000 dead

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #530 on: April 26, 2020, 10:34:24 PM »
I find it repulsive that some are trying to play party politics and point score when the people of this country are experiencing something for the first time which is affecting EVERYONE!

There should be an accountable government,but we have to look at these 'experts' and BI shysters who are self serving ,positioning themselves for top jobs -big bucks! They make up stories for headlines.

I have lived in China for  weeks at a time few years back. I have been to the wet markets, they are not pleasant,however they have been on the go for many ,many years  so it seems strange that only one man ate a bat and got the virus?

The most believable account would be the lab in Wuhan which was cultivating the virus for perhaps medicinal purposes- had an accidental of leak of some kind.

The masks as some of these so called scientist demand all people should wear one at all times, is NOT a deterrent. It only prevents the spread by coughing/spitting on someones bare skin.  Hygiene is the key -as is social distancing.

PPE-  This was not the governments fault at all- they only go by what they are told. I had a post removed for mentioning this. But many managers who got the jobs because of who they know and not what they know were caught short!

Therefore, some hospitals had provisions and some didn't. Some hospitals were running short due to their location and size.  The large cities naturally had more deaths due to demand.  The ARMY was correct the procurement is a fiasco in the NHS ask those who KNOW.

The managers control the budgets and here in Scotland  managers can demand high tec-high price Laptops and Iphones in some quarters of the corporate sector and the clinical sector are left dumbfounded when told 'sorry no can do' - no money!

The truth does hurt- those who tell it know this.

'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #531 on: April 26, 2020, 11:11:53 PM »
In light of this

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/lifting-lockdown-could-cost-100000-lives-by-end-of-year-says-leading-epidemiologist-neil-ferguson-tv72gjld9

Let’s get consensus from all the government’s critics on here that the lockdown should continue indefinitely, because according to this expert if it doesn’t the government will be responsible for killing an extra 100,000 people

So tell us what you think Boris should do tomorrow when he comes back to work.  Remember, you’ll be slagging him off for his decision in a few days time, so tell us where you stand now.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #532 on: April 26, 2020, 11:12:36 PM »
The world over has found one of the most important thing is social distancing and staying home...yet the man you admire so much ignored that advice...thank god he ddint win the election...there'd be 50.000 dead

As did Boris it would seem.

Offline faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #534 on: April 27, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »
Still no one prepared to put their money where their mouth is and tell us all now what Boris should be doing with regard easing or maintaining the lockdown.  Why is that?  Are you waiting to see what he does first, and then criticise with the benefit of hindsight?  Surely not!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #535 on: April 27, 2020, 11:21:23 PM »
“Sensible people, however, understand that we have been struck by a thunderbolt for which it is absurd to blame Matt Hancock or for that matter President Xi of China, although his government’s opacity undoubtedly made things worse. Both our government and people now face months of cruel, imperfect choices. In contradiction of the national mood of the moment, neither the disease nor the lockdown represents our worst ordeal. That will commence only when we are stricken, as we shall all be, by their appalling financial and social fallout” - Max Hastings (an eminently sensible chap) writing in today’s Times.

Offline Carana

« Reply #536 on: April 28, 2020, 12:41:42 AM »
Still no one prepared to put their money where their mouth is and tell us all now what Boris should be doing with regard easing or maintaining the lockdown.  Why is that?  Are you waiting to see what he does first, and then criticise with the benefit of hindsight?  Surely not!

I'm still trying to glean what other countries are doing or planning to do, but their choices might not be ideal either, and the situations in the various countries aren't identical.

For the moment, BoJo seems to be taking it more seriously than he did a couple of months ago. But then anyone seems serious compared to Dettol Don.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #537 on: April 28, 2020, 07:18:20 AM »
I'm still trying to glean what other countries are doing or planning to do, but their choices might not be ideal either, and the situations in the various countries aren't identical.

For the moment, BoJo seems to be taking it more seriously than he did a couple of months ago. But then anyone seems serious compared to Dettol Don.
You’re in the very fortunate position of not having to make any Solomonesque decisions and unlike you Johnson doesn’t have the option of waiting to see what other countries do, because if he does do that he will be lambasted for dithering.  But I’ve no doubt that whatever decisions he does make in the next few days, they will be the wrong ones as far as his strident critics are concerned.  It’s just somewhat telling that they are keeping their powder dry until he’s made them.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #538 on: April 28, 2020, 07:29:57 AM »
“A YouGov poll for Sky News last week put the proportion of people who trust print journalists on matters coronavirus-related at 17 per cent, way down below any politician. Interestingly, the only politician the public does seem to trust on coronavirus is Boris Johnson (51 per cent), which I suppose makes for a splendid illustration of the political benefits of staying in bed for a fortnight, not saying anything” - from today’s Times column by Hugo Rifkind.  LOL.

Offline Carana

« Reply #539 on: April 28, 2020, 12:22:19 PM »
You’re in the very fortunate position of not having to make any Solomonesque decisions and unlike you Johnson doesn’t have the option of waiting to see what other countries do, because if he does do that he will be lambasted for dithering.  But I’ve no doubt that whatever decisions he does make in the next few days, they will be the wrong ones as far as his strident critics are concerned.  It’s just somewhat telling that they are keeping their powder dry until he’s made them.

Hopefully, the crisis teams in various countries haven't been acting in isolation, but have been sharing lessons learned from mistakes and sharing at least the work-arounds they've found.

(For example, I've seen numerous medical staff on Twitter networking, both nationally and internationally, to share ad hoc solutions to various issues and inviting other medics to provide input to whatever current problems they were facing.)

I do think the UK was so focused on Brexit that it was napping at the helm (and that would probably have been the case whoever won the election).