Author Topic: Can People Who Doubt the McCanns Safely Debate on This Forum ?  (Read 37575 times)

C.Edwards

Re: Can People Who Doubt the McCanns Safely Debate on This Forum ?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 02:16:32 PM »
I think that claiming the McCanns and their friends have fabricated their statements in order to cover-up the crime of hiding a body is defamation.  "Asking questions" about the McCanns and their friends (with the clear implication being that you think they are hiding something), publicly on the internet where everyone can read the questions, and repeatedly over a period of months and years amounts to an abusive and prolonged campaign of defamation in my book..

And with that response you've rather neatly demonstrated the point I made in my first post about how some will view legitimate questioning as defamation.  Contrary to your mistaken opinion, I wasn't defining the two as interchangeable.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 02:17:57 PM »
Faithlilly.  In answer to your question.  As a general principle, if you consider that everything you put in writing in the public domain COULD be used in court, either by the prosection or the defence, and act accordingly you will not go far wrong. 

C.Edwards

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
...and I notice that those that squawk the loudest about those who question the McCanns are often the quietest when similar, or worse, abuse is thrown at Amaral, any of his colleagues, the PJ at large, Tony Bennett, Martin Grime and in fact anyone that dares to doubt "the word".

The irony is that the McCanns, by their actions in leaving their children alone ("well within the bounds of responsible parenting" my bum) and then using the media for their own purposes have laid themselves open to this abuse, whereas apart from Tony Bennett and one or two others perhaps, those targeted by McCann supporters are pretty much just doing their jobs.

Offline gilet

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 02:23:37 PM »
I think that claiming the McCanns and their friends have fabricated their statements in order to cover-up the crime of hiding a body is defamation.  "Asking questions" about the McCanns and their friends (with the clear implication being that you think they are hiding something), publicly on the internet where everyone can read the questions, and repeatedly over a period of months and years amounts to an abusive and prolonged campaign of defamation in my book..

And with that response you've rather neatly demonstrated the point I made in my first post about how some will view legitimate questioning as defamation.  Contrary to your mistaken opinion, I wasn't defining the two as interchangeable.

Legitmate questions are not the same as what Martha has described. That you cannot see the difference is a great shame.

There is no threat to anyone who posts legitimate questions here on this forum. There is no reason any such persons would ever be reported as that is what the forum is for.

However if you or I or anyone else sees what we believe to be defamatory questioning as described by Martha then it is our right (and I might go so far as to say, our duty) to report that we believe a crime is being committed.

If people choose to post defamation or abuse or lies about others they can never really believe it is safe to do so unless they are complete fools.

Offline gilet

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
...and I notice that those that squawk the loudest about those who question the McCanns are often the quietest when similar, or worse, abuse is thrown at Amaral, any of his colleagues, the PJ at large, Tony Bennett, Martin Grime and in fact anyone that dares to doubt "the word".

The irony is that the McCanns, by their actions in leaving their children alone ("well within the bounds of responsible parenting" my bum) and then using the media for their own purposes have laid themselves open to this abuse, whereas apart from Tony Bennett and one or two others perhaps, those targeted by McCann supporters are pretty much just doing their jobs.

Isn't it ironic that two of the people you mention have criminal convictions for their behaviour?

However, when you demonstrate that the people you have mentioned have had the same or worse abuse thrown at them for six years than the McCanns, maybe, just maybe people might take you seriously.

The McCanns have never been charged with any crime. The PT authorities who investgated them found no evidence of any crime against them. You, on the other hand, an amateur online armchair plod think you know better. How laughable you look?

And your claim that Amaral was simply doing his job makes you look even more laughable. Since when has it been the "job" of a police officer who was booted off a case for his own appalling behaviour to write a "thesis" about the crime he failed to solve and try to earn money from that?

When Bennett interfered and Amaral chose to make a personal profit from the case they became legitimate targets for questioning.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »
@ ferryman

So do you believe asking questions with regard to Martin Grimes profile in such a way that wrongdoing is suggested is libellous or is it simply the people with access to the funds to monitor forums, twitter etc and the money to launch expensive litigation who should be protected ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

ferryman

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2013, 02:36:15 PM »
Depends.

If it turns out that SYP really did send a 6 year old police dog to America to be trained in ways actually illegal in the whole of the United Kingom; if it turns out that SYP are wrong in saying Eddie has been involved in 37 cases and Grime right in stating over 200; if turns out that Grime, as a full-time Police Constable with South Yorkshire Police, was instrumental in arranging training programmes in the US, then I have assuredly libelled Grime by suggesting all these things are not true ...

icabodcrane

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2013, 02:40:23 PM »
Seems the UK Justice forum has been asked by someone, I assume connected to the McCanns, to report any tweets on #mccann that 'abuse' the McCanns. How safe therefore are our details and what we write here ?

I am not on twitter so this is the first I've heard of this

I would like confirmation though because my personal details are held by the UK Justice forum,  and if there is any question of personal details being  given to others  (  for  any reason )  then it is of great concern

Is it true Admin  ...  are you acting on the McCanns'  behalf by collecting details of  'abuse'  toward them ? 

Offline gilet

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2013, 02:43:51 PM »
@ ferryman

So do you believe asking questions with regard to Martin Grimes profile in such a way that wrongdoing is suggested is libellous or is it simply the people with access to the funds to monitor forums, twitter etc and the money to launch expensive litigation who should be protected ?

Anyone can report what they believe to be a crime taking place.

What has your point about funds got to do with anything? It costs nothing to report something by email or by phone (well it is included in the phone and internet prices).  There is no litigation involved.

This thread (as you should know because you started it) is simply about people reporting what they believe may be criminal abuse.

Am I wrong in thinking that you believe people should not report crime when they believe it is occurring because that is certainly the drift of your posting on this thread?

Offline gilet

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2013, 02:48:00 PM »
Seems the UK Justice forum has been asked by someone, I assume connected to the McCanns, to report any tweets on #mccann that 'abuse' the McCanns. How safe therefore are our details and what we write here ?

I would like confirmation though because my personal details are held by the UK Justice forum,  and if there is any question of personal details being  given to others  (  for  any reason )  then it is of great concern

Is it true Admin  ...  are you acting on the McCanns'  behalf by collecting details of  'abuse'  toward them ?

Twitter? Mmmm!  No mention of Twitter in the opening post or thread title! 

Are you another person who believes that reporting potential crime to the authorities is wrong?  Where does this assumption it is the McCanns who are behind this come from? Any evidence or is it just a wild guess? It could in fact be anyone who has made the request. What does it matter who? If anyone at all sees what they believe is a crime being committed against someone should they simply ignore it or should they tell someone?

icabodcrane

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2013, 03:58:07 PM »

Are you another person who believes that reporting potential crime to the authorities is wrong?  Where does this assumption it is the McCanns who are behind this come from? Any evidence or is it just a wild guess? It could in fact be anyone who has made the request. What does it matter who? If anyone at all sees what they believe is a crime being committed against someone should they simply ignore it or should they tell someone?

I am asking the Justice Forum Admin to confirm whether or not they are collecting information of 'abuse'  against the McCanns

If it is true,  then does that mean members who post on this forum are at risk of being judged  'abusive'  and added to  'the list' ?

Who is this  'list of McCann abusers'  for  ...  who  asked  for it ? 

And,  most importantly,  will personal details of members of this forum be passed to others  ? 

These are very relevent and important questions,  and as a member who has trusted this forum with my personal details,  I feel I am perfectly entitled to ask them

Offline John

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 04:18:30 PM »

I am asking the Justice Forum Admin to confirm whether or not they are collecting information of 'abuse'  against the McCanns

If it is true,  then does that mean members who post on this forum are at risk of being judged  'abusive'  and added to  'the list' ?

And,  most importantly,  will personal details of members of this forum be passed to others  ? 

These are very relevent and important questions,  and as a member who has trusted this forum with my personal details,  I feel I am perfectly entitled to ask them

I will answer that for you icabodcrane and can confirm that we have been asked by twitter to keep a record of anything which has been directed at our sister site and which may be considered abusive or libellous.  Anyone who uses that particular social media site and who has reported abuse will be aware of this.

As regards this forum, there are ample mechanisms in place to deal with any unacceptable conduct.  Personal registration details are never passed to any third party but may be requested under police powers as part of an investigation or if subject to a Court Order.

I trust this helps?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline gilet

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 04:19:07 PM »

No-one who is behaving properly, who knows they have done nothing wrong would need to fear.

It is interesting that you clearly feel such a need and are with other anti-McCann posters here demonstrating that need by such posts.

I know I have nothing to fear as I know I have done nothing wrong and have posted absolutely nothing which could be described as abusive.

I wonder why you and other anti-McCanns are so disturbed by this?

The only personal detail you have trusted anyone here with is your IP and your email address. Unless you are a total fool and have used a personal email address then the only way you can be identified is if the authorities initiate a full blown police case against you and ask your ISP to identify you. Are you really that worried or are you playing a silly game here I wonder?

Offline gilet

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »

I will answer that for you icabodcrane and can confirm that we have been asked by twitter to keep a record of anything which has been directed at our sister site and which may be considered abusive or libellous.  Anyone who uses that particular social media site and who has reported abuse will be aware of this.

As regards this forum, there are ample mechanisms in place to deal with any unacceptable conduct.  Personal registration details are never passed to any third party but may be requested under police powers as part of an investigation or if subject to a Court Order.

I trust this helps?

Thanks for the clarification.

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »

You really shouldn't judge other forums admin, like Bennett. He is the only one I have known pass personal details of members to others.
Not a clever move, on his part,  the list he sent me by email, sometime ago, contained, hundreds of log in names, along with real names and email address's. 
Now if I was as underhand as some, I could use these, just like he did.
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/