Author Topic: Maddie case funding. McCanns anxiously await news from Scotland Yard.  (Read 40739 times)

Offline John

Madeleine McCann’s parents face less than two months of guaranteed funding for British cops to find their daughter.

Kate and Gerry McCann are anxiously waiting to find out if Operation Grange will receive more funding.

By Tracey Kandohla
9th August 2017

THE PARENTS of Madeleine McCann have thanked the public “for continuing to be by our side” as they face less than two months of guaranteed funding for British cops to find their daughter.

A post today on the official Find Maddie campaign website, endorsed by Kate and Gerry and viewed by thousands of followers across the world, states: “Thank you for continuing to be by our side and supporting us in our search for Madeleine. We are extremely grateful.”

The message is accompanied by a simple verse on a sky-blue backdrop: “Ah, kindness. What a simple way to tell another struggling soul that there is love to be found in this world.”

Maddie’s parents are anxiously waiting to find out if Operation Grange, the £12million inquiry into their daughter’s disappearance, will be extended with a new cash boost in October.

Scotland Yard announced a month ago their “investigation is continuing with focus and determination” but as yet no new significant clues have been unearthed.

As time could be running out for police to solve the case, the family still cling onto a glimmer of hope that Maddie could be found alive after vanishing from a Portuguese holiday apartment 10 years and three months ago.

And as a gesture to Madeleine’s memory, they keep a candle burning round the clock for her in their home village of Rothley, Leics.

The lantern beside the black railings surrounding the war memorial in the heart of the village at Cross Green is synonymous with the lost girl.

Maddie’s great uncle Brian Kennedy told The Sun Online how the lantern – which has been in situ ever since the three-year-old was snatched from Praia da Luz in May 2007 – had undergone “a big clean up.”

Ex head teacher Brian, who also lives in Rothley and with wife Janet looks after the special tribute, said: “The lantern was taken away because it became very sooty and needed a big clean up which we have now done.”

As the sparkling lantern, with candle constantly lit and glimmering inside, returned to its designated spot after being gone for a few weeks, a McCann pal said: “The candle is a constant reminder for locals that one of their young fellow villagers is still missing and out there somewhere to hopefully be found alive and well.”

Maddie disappeared from The Algarve holiday flat while her parents were dining with pals in a nearby tapas restaurant. She had been left alone sleeping with her younger twin siblings Sean and Amelie, now aged 12.

World renowned heart doctor Gerry and medical worker Kate, a former GP, both 49, refuse to give up hope and have vowed to “leave no stone unturned” in the painstaking search for their eldest child.

Their daughter would now be aged 14 and would be preparing for the new and important secondary school Year 10 when GCSE courses begin. She would be a pupil at the prestigious Catholic School in Loughborough where her great uncle once presided over.

Met Police have less than eight weeks of Home Office funding left to try and crack the world’s biggest ever child disappearances.

They must submit an application if they need further funds during the second half the current financial year which will then be considered but not guaranteed by special grants committee.

Officers were given an extra £85,000 in April to extend Op Grange until the end of September amid speculation detectives were closing in on a suspect.

A force spokesman previously told The Sun Online: “A lot of potentially significant images and material were captured on previous trips to Portugal and we are still working on all leads.”

It came as the Yard’s Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said they were still “critical leads” to pursue.

Speaking to mark the milestone 10th anniversary in May of Maddie’s disappearance, the top cop said there were “significant investigative avenues” that are of “great interest” to both the UK and Portuguese teams.

He said: “We want to solve it, we want a breakthrough, adding “there is no definite evidence” proving Madeleine is alive or dead.

Maddie’s parents Kate and Gerry are said to be “buoyed up” and “extremely grateful” by the Met’s continuing efforts to find their daughter.

In their latest anniversary message to mark “a decade of pain” the McCann’s said:““Thankfully there is an active police investigation to try and find Madeleine and bring her abductor to justice.”

A source close to the couple said: “It is heartbreaking for Kate and Gerry to still not know after a decade what happened to Madeleine. But to know there is still an active police investigation doing their very best to help find her gives them a strength and comfort.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4201196/madeleine-mccanns-parents-thank-supporters-for-continuing-to-be-on-our-side-as-they-wait-to-see-if-investigation-will-get-cash-boost/

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:42:08 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline misty

Positive news via Twitter (apparently Brunt was on Sky News earlier reporting this)

Martin Brunt‏Verified account @skymartinbrunt  44m44 minutes ago
More
 #Madeleine Scot Yard to ask Home Office for more funds to carry on its £11m investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann

Offline Erngath

Positive news via Twitter (apparently Brunt was on Sky News earlier reporting this)

Martin Brunt‏Verified account @skymartinbrunt  44m44 minutes ago
More
 #Madeleine Scot Yard to ask Home Office for more funds to carry on its £11m investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann

Thank you for that update
It's good to know that they hope to continue a line of investigation.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Brietta

Thank you for that update
It's good to know that they hope to continue a line of investigation.

If Scotland Yard do ask for further funding it must signify there is still work to be done on Madeleine's case.  I hope their investigation has a positive outcome.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline misty

http://news.sky.com/story/hunt-for-madeleine-mccann-needs-more-cash-to-continue-10999676

By Martin Brunt, Crime Correspondent

Scotland Yard is to ask for more money to continue its six-year investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Detectives are struggling to resolve a final lead, which, if it fizzled out, could have brought the £11m Government-funded investigation to an end next month.

I understand that the Home Office is willing to carry on paying for the last bit of work to be completed.

A source said: "We will be asking for more money because we need to complete the work we are doing. It is complicated and not as straightforward as we had hoped, but it is worth doing."

Madeleine was nearly four years old when she vanished without trace from her family's rented holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in May 2007.
The Portuguese police closed their investigation 15 months later, after finding nothing to explain her disappearance.

In 2011, after an appeal from her parents Kate and Gerry McCann, the then Prime Minister David Cameron asked Scotland Yard to investigate with special Home Office funding.

Sixteen months ago then Scotland Yard Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said his squad - reduced in 2015 from 30 to three staff - was expecting to close a final investigative lead within months.

"That line of inquiry probably at the moment is the conclusion of this inquiry," he said.

In April this year, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said detectives were still following a critical lead.

"We have a significant line of inquiry which is worth pursuing and because it's worth pursuing it could provide an answer - but until we've gone through it I won't know whether we are going to get there or not."

Police will give no details of the lead - nor why it is proving so difficult to resolve. But they want more time to pursue it.

There has been speculation that it involves a hunt for a suspect or a key witness, but none of that has been confirmed.

Retired Metropolitan Police detective Peter Kirkham said: "Media interest and the political drive for it to be done in the first place will add to a reluctance to stop the investigation until they are absolutely sure they have done everything they can.

"If a line of inquiry has any signs of life in it whatsoever, they will be saying 'this is here and we can do it but we'll need this amount to do it and if you don't wish to pay for it that is your decision'."

A spokesman for Madeleine's family told Sky News: "The McCanns will be pleased. The fact that the police feel there is still work to be done which needs funding is very encouraging.

"They remain grateful to all the officers involved in the investigation."

Scotland Yard said: "Funding is in place until the end of September. Any details about future funding will be released when appropriate."

The Home Office confirmed that funding for Operation Grange had been provided until the end of next month.

"The level of funding provided is a reflection of the wide-ranging and complex nature of the investigation which the police have deemed necessary to undertake," a spokesperson said.

They added that they have not received a new funding request from Scotland Yard but that "any future request will be considered carefully".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just watched the report on Sky News & Brunt said both police forces believe Madeleine could still be alive & there is no evidence she is dead.

Offline sadie

http://news.sky.com/story/hunt-for-madeleine-mccann-needs-more-cash-to-continue-10999676

Scotland Yard is to ask for more money to continue its six-year investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

Detectives are struggling to resolve a final lead, which, if it fizzled out, could have brought the £11m Government-funded investigation to an end next month.

I understand that the Home Office is willing to carry on paying for the last bit of work to be completed.

A source said: "We will be asking for more money because we need to complete the work we are doing. It is complicated and not as straightforward as we had hoped, but it is worth doing."

Madeleine was nearly four years old when she vanished without trace from her family's rented holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in May 2007.
The Portuguese police closed their investigation 15 months later, after finding nothing to explain her disappearance.

In 2011, after an appeal from her parents Kate and Gerry McCann, the then Prime Minister David Cameron asked Scotland Yard to investigate with special Home Office funding.

Sixteen months ago then Scotland Yard Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said his squad - reduced in 2015 from 30 to three staff - was expecting to close a final investigative lead within months.

"That line of inquiry probably at the moment is the conclusion of this inquiry," he said.

In April this year, Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said detectives were still following a critical lead.

"We have a significant line of inquiry which is worth pursuing and because it's worth pursuing it could provide an answer - but until we've gone through it I won't know whether we are going to get there or not."

Police will give no details of the lead - nor why it is proving so difficult to resolve. But they want more time to pursue it.

There has been speculation that it involves a hunt for a suspect or a key witness, but none of that has been confirmed.

Retired Metropolitan Police detective Peter Kirkham said: "Media interest and the political drive for it to be done in the first place will add to a reluctance to stop the investigation until they are absolutely sure they have done everything they can.

"If a line of inquiry has any signs of life in it whatsoever, they will be saying 'this is here and we can do it but we'll need this amount to do it and if you don't wish to pay for it that is your decision'."

A spokesman for Madeleine's family told Sky News: "The McCanns will be pleased. The fact that the police feel there is still work to be done which needs funding is very encouraging.

Scotland Yard said: "Funding is in place until the end of September. Any details about future funding will be released when appropriate."

The Home Office confirmed that funding for Operation Grange had been provided until the end of next month.

"The level of funding provided is a reflection of the wide-ranging and complex nature of the investigation which the police have deemed necessary to undertake," a spokesperson said.

They added that they have not received a new funding request from Scotland Yard but that "any future request will be considered carefully".
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just watched the report on Sky News & Brunt said both police forces believe Madeleine could still be alive & there is no evidence she is dead.

Fabulous news misty

I predict that SY will have charged someone before October is out.  I've been saying this for a while, and it does depend upon whether they have enough evidence to charge him.

I am wondering how many people they might charge in addition?

AIMHO
I will have to eat my hat if I am wrong   *&*%£ 8(>((

Offline G-Unit

No application for further funding has been made or received at the moment.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline slartibartfast

Fabulous news misty

I predict that SY will have charged someone before October is out.  I've been saying this for a while, and it does depend upon whether they have enough evidence to charge him.

AIMHO

Must bookmark that.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

stephen25000

Fabulous news misty

AIMHO

Must be all those pointers and predictions you've made..

Keep your hat ready. 8(0(*

Offline G-Unit

Fabulous news misty

AIMHO

Operation Grange is working in support of the Portuguese investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. If any charges are brought it will be unlikely to be the UK police who bring them or the UK courts who try someone. Perhaps it's time to start choosing which hat looks the tastiest.
Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

Re: Maddie case funding. McCanns anxiously await news from Scotland Yard.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »
Operation Grange is working in support of the Portuguese investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. If any charges are brought it will be unlikely to be the UK police who bring them or the UK courts who try someone. Perhaps it's time to start choosing which hat looks the tastiest.

Exactly.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »
Operation Grange has been given permission by the Portuguese to investigate this case. I don't think they have the jurisdiction to charge anyone. Predicting that they will is therefore unrealistic in my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:42:17 AM by John »
Result = happy posting.

Offline John

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
I think SY are looking for an excuse to terminate the investigation.  They know if they keep asking for more funds that there will come a time when it will be refused and so the blame can be shifted.  We are living in a world where it is always someone else's fault.

Had there been any significant breakthrough then the Portuguese would be part of it and we would have heard about it since it is well known that the PJ leaks like a sieve.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:47:47 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Benice

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »
I think SY are looking for an excuse to terminate the investigation.  They know if they keep asking for more funds that there will come a time when it will be refused and so the blame can be shifted.  We are living in a world where it is always someone else's fault.

Had there been any significant breakthrough then the Portuguese would be part of it and we would have heard about it since it is well known that the PJ leaks like a sieve.

Pure speculation/opinion posted as fact IMO.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline sadie

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »
Oh, I have already chosen it.  A Carmen Miranda type hat, I like fruit  ?{)(** and it would look very pretty to wear  8**8:/:
 *&*%£

Seriously there is a reason why I am inclined to stick my neck out and make this prediction.   I fully realise that I could be wrong, but  .......