Author Topic: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?  (Read 138001 times)

Offline jassi

Re: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?
« Reply #795 on: August 29, 2018, 11:05:43 AM »
I'm finding this deflection from  pertinent questions asked to a Mary Whitehouse discussion, very cleverly done.

I'm only replying to VS's  question about her - I didn't bring her up  ?{)(**
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #796 on: August 29, 2018, 11:25:28 AM »
Maybe such a high profile case will bring about a clarification  of the law... Brenda felt what she, was doing was perfectly acceptable.   It is if you accept victims of online abuse committing suicide... It isn't if you dont

Perhaps it will, and I have no objection to people lobbying for such changes. Naming, shaming and door-stepping people who have committed no offence I do object to because two wrongs don't make a right.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #797 on: August 29, 2018, 11:35:18 AM »
Perhaps it will, and I have no objection to people lobbying for such changes. Naming, shaming and door-stepping people who have committed no offence I do object to because two wrongs don't make a right.

Then complain to sky... The dossier compliers didn't publicly identify brenda... Sky did

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #798 on: August 29, 2018, 11:46:01 AM »

Bullying on social media is in the news, today Re young girls, self harming... Bullying is wrong...the on-line bullies need to be stopped
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:09:51 PM by John »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #799 on: August 29, 2018, 11:46:52 AM »
This is in direct contradiction to your earlier statement that
Mary Whitehouse and the dossier compiler's both disapproved of certain things. Not only did they disapprove they wanted everyone else to comply with their opinions. They had every right to have opinions, but no right to insist that there opinions should dominate.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Brietta

« Reply #800 on: August 29, 2018, 11:56:55 AM »

I think you are missing the point just a little here.

Brenda Leyland was one of a number of individuals who had taken it upon themselves to troll and mount a hate campaign directed towards the family of a missing child.

If you think such people don't deserve to have their activities properly investigated when reported to the police that is a matter entirely for you.

But just as the dossier compilers had the right to do that ... everyone mentioned in that document had the right to await the outcome of the police investigation and the right to due process should that have been necessary.

Brenda Leyland had the right to due process, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous, she also had the opportunity of right to reply ... not on the doorstep (the confrontation was not broadcast live) but once she had time to gather her thoughts together ... she could also have sued Sky news much as Sir Cliff did with the BBC.

She chose another route of suicide.
One wonders if any of the targets of those named in the dossier had taken that route ... and I include their vulnerable adolescents without apology in that ... if it would have roused the same passion on this thread that we see about one of the contributors to their abuse?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #801 on: August 29, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »
Bullying on social media is in the news, today Re young girls, self harming... Bullying is wrong...the on-line bullies need to be stopped
She also mercilessly bullied a young woman she thought was Amy Tierney.  There’s no question about it, Brenda WAS an online bully, though some people refuse to accept it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:11:49 PM by John »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #802 on: August 29, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
From what you are, saying you don't object to any sort of bullying or harassment... Wait till it's, directed towards you or your family you will soon change your mind
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:13:01 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #803 on: August 29, 2018, 12:16:37 PM »

Bullying is in the news for sure. A 9 year old boy in Colorado committed suicide after school mates bullied him in person after he came out as gay. Bullying happens all over the place; at school, at work, in the home, and online. It hurts if you let it. The hardest job I had as a parent was helping my children to learn how to deal with this nasty and cowardly behaviour. Whether it can be stopped in all it's forms I don't know; it's been around for a very long time.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:13:24 PM by John »
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #804 on: August 29, 2018, 12:23:19 PM »
Bullying is in the news for sure. A 9 year old boy in Colorado committed suicide after school mates bullied him in person after he came out as gay. Bullying happens all over the place; at school, at work, in the home, and online. It hurts if you let it. The hardest job I had as a parent was helping my children to learn how to deal with this nasty and cowardly behaviour. Whether it can be stopped in all it's forms I don't know; it's been around for a very long time.

It has but social media hasn't.... Social media, gives the bullies a platform to bully 24 hrs, a day.... Brenda could say what she wanted to her friends... But when you publish hatred nationaly there is a difference

Offline jassi

« Reply #805 on: August 29, 2018, 12:24:54 PM »

Jeez, what sort of  a world to live in.  Aged 9 I didn't even know what homosexuality was.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Erngath

« Reply #806 on: August 29, 2018, 12:27:29 PM »

But bullying shouldn't happen .
Just because it has gone on in the past is no excuse for not trying to stop it nowadays.
Schools have a duty of care to prevent bullying and hopefully workplaces should have the same concern.
Fortunately your children had a concerned parent to help them deal with the bullying.
Not all children are so fortunate.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 12:34:59 PM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #807 on: August 29, 2018, 12:31:02 PM »
It has but social media hasn't.... Social media, gives the bullies a platform to bully 24 hrs, a day.... Brenda could say what she wanted to her friends... But when you publish hatred nationaly there is a difference

Social media is now the home for bullies.
A headteacher I know has to deal with the carry over to school on a Monday from all the social media nastiness of the weekend.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #808 on: August 29, 2018, 01:09:31 PM »
Bullying's a matter of opinion, not fact. I believe in free speech some of which may be seen as bullying by some but not by others.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:15:55 PM by John »
Result = happy posting.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #809 on: August 29, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Bullying on social media is in the news, today Re young girls, self harming... Bullying is wrong... Brenda tried to bully the McCann's....the on-line bullies need to be stopped

If they are breaking the law report them to the appropriate authorities if there is sufficient evidence.
If they are not and there isn't there is always the "off" button.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey