Author Topic: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?  (Read 137996 times)

Offline Sunny

Re: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?
« Reply #945 on: August 30, 2018, 10:31:08 PM »
IMO nothing was printed about  Brenda that wasn't true... That was her problem

Apart from calling her a troll perhaps?

In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

This sense of both the noun and the verb "troll" is associated with Internet discourse, but also has been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, the mass media have used "troll" to mean "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families".[4][5] In addition, depictions of trolling have been included in popular fictional works, such as the HBO television program The Newsroom, in which a main character encounters harassing persons online and tries to infiltrate their circles by posting negative sexual comments.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

From what I have read Brenda wasn't doing twitter to laugh at the McCanns but because she genuinely believed that the parents were guilty in some way. She was more of a justice seeker than a troll IMO but perhaps got carried away from time to time as many on there appear to do.  There are some nasty unpleasant posters on twitter that I have read, on both sides of the argument but I don't see any of the nastier supporters being "outed" in the dossier.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:35:10 AM by John »
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #946 on: August 30, 2018, 10:34:09 PM »

In Internet slang, a troll (/troʊl, trɒl/) is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

This sense of both the noun and the verb "troll" is associated with Internet discourse, but also has been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, the mass media have used "troll" to mean "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families".[4][5] In addition, depictions of trolling have been included in popular fictional works, such as the HBO television program The Newsroom, in which a main character encounters harassing persons online and tries to infiltrate their circles by posting negative sexual comments.

From what I have read Brenda wasn't doing twitter to laugh at the McCanns but because she genuinely believed that the parents were guilty in some way. She was more of a justice seeker than a troll IMO but perhaps got carried away from time to time as many on there appear to do.  There are some nasty unpleasant posters on twitter that I have read, on both sides of the argument but I don't see any of the nastier supporters being "outed" in the dossier.

Have you read brendas tweets... Are you aware of her treatment of Amy?... I suspect you would answer no to both... Brenda made a lot if very nasty tweets towards the McCann's... Her actions were despicable IMO...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:36:25 AM by John »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #947 on: August 30, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »

Why do you think so called supporters should be 'outed' in a dossier detailing abuse and hatred perpetrated by so called sceptics?
I don't think that is a sound argument ... when you think about it ... do you?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #948 on: August 30, 2018, 10:50:05 PM »
Brenda had her opinions.... Why did she not have the courage of her convictions to justify those opinions.. Perhaps because she realised too late... That to express hatred towards  the McCann's was not a very nice thing to do

Offline Sunny

« Reply #949 on: August 30, 2018, 10:54:05 PM »
Why do you think so called supporters should be 'outed' in a dossier detailing abuse and hatred perpetrated by so called sceptics?
I don't think that is a sound argument ... when you think about it ... do you?

I wasn't proposing a dossier by sceptics. If you read my post again I was asking why weren't the nastier supporters tweets included in the original dossier.

Davel I have read Brenda's tweets about AT and I have already said (TWICE) that I don't agree with her at all in what she did to AT.

Perhaps her tweets were unpleasant but I am sure if we search through some of the supporter tweets we could find some equality nasty unpleasant tweets too.  I have read some deeply unpleasant ones regarding Goncalo Amaral too.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:40:28 AM by John »
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #950 on: August 30, 2018, 10:54:29 PM »

Have you seen the dossier?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #951 on: August 30, 2018, 10:57:22 PM »
I wasn't proposing a dossier by sceptics. If you read my post again I was asking why weren't the nastier supporters tweets included in the original dossier.

Davel I have read Brenda's tweets about AT and I have already said (TWICE) that I don't agree with her at all in what she did to AT.

Perhaps her tweets were unpleasant but I am sure if we search through some of the supporter tweets we could find some equality nasty unpleasant tweets too.  I have read some deeply unpleasant ones regarding Goncalo Amaral too. Why do some supporters call him Gonzo or Amaral? Are either of those names acceptable to anyone here?
The dossier was compiled by someone concerned about the McCanns’ safety.  Had there been any supporter s’ tweets that gave concern about the McCanns safety they may well have been included.  Unless you’ve seen the dossier how do you know what was in it and what wasn’t?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Brietta

« Reply #952 on: August 30, 2018, 11:31:08 PM »

Perhaps her tweets were unpleasant but I am sure if we search through some of the supporter tweets we could find some equality nasty unpleasant tweets too.  I have read some deeply unpleasant ones regarding Goncalo Amaral too. Why do some supporters call him Gonzo or Amaral? Are either of those names acceptable to anyone here?

The point is that the dossier was compiled of hate comment directed to and about the McCanns.  Such vitriol has been spewed out for over eleven years now ... if you feel you wish to justify that unimaginable level of abuse directed at the family of a missing child that is entirely between you and your conscience.

But if we were discussing the suicide of anyone in that family and not that of one of their tormentors ... who do you think would be responsible?

That is actually a rhetorical question ... I do know the mantra.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #953 on: August 31, 2018, 07:30:53 AM »
The point is that the dossier was compiled of hate comment directed to and about the McCanns.  Such vitriol has been spewed out for over eleven years now ... if you feel you wish to justify that unimaginable level of abuse directed at the family of a missing child that is entirely between you and your conscience.

But if we were discussing the suicide of anyone in that family and not that of one of their tormentors ... who do you think would be responsible?

That is actually a rhetorical question ... I do know the mantra.
I think in such a circumstance the alleged guilty conscience of the suicide victim and their shame and fear of being discovered would be wholly blamed, not the media, and not any whistleblower or armchair dossier compiler / detectives.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #954 on: August 31, 2018, 07:40:22 AM »
The point is that the dossier was compiled of hate comment directed to and about the McCanns. 

Snip

If you went to the police after an altercation with a neighbour, do you think they would be satisfied with a record of just what the neighbour said or would they want to know what you said too. IMO most of these tweets should be taken in context of the rough and tumble of debate on twitter and not as a set of statements made in cold blood.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #955 on: August 31, 2018, 07:55:38 AM »
If you went to the police after an altercation with a neighbour, do you think they would be satisfied with a record of just what the neighbour said or would they want to know what you said too. IMO most of these tweets should be taken in context of the rough and tumble of debate on twitter and not as a set of statements made in cold blood.

Debate on Twitter says it all.  The only thing Twitter is of any use for is discovering the ability to say something in 140 Characters in relatively good and understandable English.  Most of them fail miserably.  Except for the Insults.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #956 on: August 31, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »
Debate on Twitter says it all.  The only thing Twitter is of any use for is discovering the ability to say something in 140 Characters in relatively good and understandable English.  Most of them fail miserably.  Except for the Insults.

We should all consider on here that if someone collected a series of posts out of context from a selected group of posters we could show how bullying and abusive that group was
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #957 on: August 31, 2018, 08:07:58 AM »
We should all consider on here that if someone collected a series of posts out of context from a selected group of posters we could show how bullying and abusive that group was

Presuming that they are, of course.  A lot of us aren't.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #958 on: August 31, 2018, 08:13:16 AM »
Please do so and prove your point.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #959 on: August 31, 2018, 08:15:20 AM »
if brenda had confined her abusive twets to those who tweeted to her you might have a point...she didnt..so you dont..imo