Author Topic: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?  (Read 137994 times)

Online Eleanor

Re: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?
« Reply #1005 on: August 31, 2018, 02:42:31 PM »
martin brunt  didnt go back to work for  weeks  did he??  the supporters on this forum who support  what sky  did and what he   did  are  too personally involved  this case  imo   to  think it  was ok for  sky and martin brunt to basically lead brenda  to killing herself

I am delighted to see that your command of The English Language has improved somewhat.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #1006 on: August 31, 2018, 02:47:03 PM »
It seems the only people criticising sky are this that already dislike the McCann's... Therefore a biased viewpoint

Sky did wrong and Brunt paid a price for it.  That's why it has never been repeated. 
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1007 on: August 31, 2018, 02:56:27 PM »
martin brunt  didnt go back to work for  weeks  did he??  the supporters on this forum who support  what sky  did and what he   did  are  too personally involved  this case  imo   to  think it  was ok for  sky and martin brunt to basically lead brenda  to killing herself

What do you mean by "too personally involved"
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1008 on: August 31, 2018, 02:56:40 PM »
Sky did wrong and Brunt paid a price for it.  That's why it has never been repeated.

According to those on a couple of forums who don't like the McCann's...no one else seems to have taken any notice of it

Offline John

« Reply #1009 on: August 31, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
Unlike the majority of 'victims' of the media ... on this occasion the opportunity to have the right of reply aired on the rolling news was offered and was declined.

You don't actually think Sky News would have broadcast BL's opinion on the McCann case for the entire nation to see?

That's the ironic thing about it, had she gone on camera to reveal her views, I don't think any footage would have been broadcast at all.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 03:56:19 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1010 on: August 31, 2018, 03:57:44 PM »
You don't actually think Sky News would have broadcast BL's opinion on the McCann case for the entire nation to see?

That's the ironic thing about it, had she gone on camera to reveal her views, I don't think any footage would have been broadcast at all.
Sky would not be able to broad cast brendas libellous abuse

Offline John

« Reply #1011 on: August 31, 2018, 04:23:13 PM »
Sky would not be able to broad cast brendas libellous abuse

Exactly and so the entire exercise was one of futility IMHO.  Let's hope they and the BBC have now learned their lesson albeit a tad late for Brenda and Sir Cliff.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1012 on: August 31, 2018, 04:26:56 PM »
Exactly and so the entire exercise was one of futility IMHO.

Has the "exercise" reduced the amount of libellous tweets against the McCanns on twitter?
A genuine question as I don't do Twitter.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:31:27 PM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1013 on: August 31, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »
Exactly and so the entire exercise was one of futility IMHO.  Let's hope they and the BBC have now learned their lesson albeit a tad late for Brenda and Sir Cliff.

The Media are all being much more careful these days.  You can't' even get in half decent comment now.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1014 on: August 31, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »
Actually no. What they did was to abuse their position as national broadcasters. By the way, did Sky ever receive any sanctions over their callous actions or as I suspect, it was swept under the carpet?

It is interesting that on a site allegedly so hot on justice, human rights etc the actions of Sky which in this instance likely involved a tort, possibly a crime and infringement of privacy are seemingly condoned.......

Don't give me the "Brenda was worse routine". What she did was unpleasant and obsessive but not illegal.

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1015 on: August 31, 2018, 06:10:28 PM »
It is interesting that on a site allegedly so hot on justice, human rights etc the actions of Sky which in this instance likely involved a tort, possibly a crime and infringement of privacy are seemingly condoned.......

Don't give me the "Brenda was worse routine". What she did was unpleasant and obsessive but not illegal.

It seems brendas behaviour.... Which was abusive and obsessive is being condoned...
Afaiaa... It is perfectly legal to film anyone in a public place

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1016 on: August 31, 2018, 06:13:55 PM »

I think we already know that.  But the none of us are half so daft as you sometimes  pretend to be.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #1017 on: August 31, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »
My friend was doorstepped by a newspaper for no other reason then she donated to the Amaral fund. What is it about this case that makes the media loss all sense of right and wrong ? My friend was going about her legal business, donating to a cause she believed in. Why would anyone believe that they deserved an explanation for that ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1018 on: August 31, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »
I think people should be allowed to express their opinions so long as they do so without breaking the law.
Apparently repeatedly referring to people as murderers on social media is not against the law.  IMO however it should be against twitters t and c’s and transgressors should be booted off permanently, IP banned.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1019 on: August 31, 2018, 06:47:51 PM »
Why does anyone abuse others? I've no idea. All I know is that this case brought out the worst in a lot of people both for and against the McCanns, but only one person was exposed. A good journalist in my opinion would have been less biased in his choice of victim. Why not one of each, for balance?
Others “sceptics” have been exposed in the past and seem quite proud of their notoriety, and certainly not topped themselves.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly