Author Topic: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?  (Read 138996 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Did Brenda Leyland Have the Right to Due Process ?
« Reply #1410 on: September 04, 2018, 04:30:06 PM »
The McCann case isn't headline news these days. It isn't heading up a google search on the news page but I agree it is newsworthy.  However is a woman who made 4500 tweets (or so) some about the McCann case newsworthy enough to have a rolling video of her being accosted by Martin Brunt outside her home on Sky News for hours, having screaming headlines from pretty much every other media outlet for days.

Was nothing else happening in the news for those days? It would appear so. All because one lady made 4500 tweets, which probably hardly anyone read, and some about the McCanns.

its skys business not yours or mine...ask them....

Offline John

« Reply #1411 on: September 04, 2018, 04:35:17 PM »
The McCann case isn't headline news these days. It isn't heading up a google search on the news page but I agree it is newsworthy.  However is a woman who made 4500 tweets (or so) some about the McCann case newsworthy enough to have a rolling video of her being accosted by Martin Brunt outside her home on Sky News for hours, having screaming headlines from pretty much every other media outlet for days.

Was nothing else happening in the news for those days? It would appear so. All because one lady made 4500 tweets, which probably hardly anyone read, and some about the McCanns.

I remember thinking the same at the time, unfortunately for Brenda it was a slow news day all day with very little else going on elsewhere so Brunt's doorstepping feature received overly exposure.  Had there been something of newsworthy significance going on the story might never even been aired.

I suspect the truth behind what occurred was more to do with saving face over their fiasco report from Praia da Luz about the DNA results than it was to do with unearthing an internet troll.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 04:42:23 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #1412 on: September 04, 2018, 04:44:11 PM »
I remember thinking the same at the time, unfortunately for Brenda it was a slow news day all day with very little else going on elsewhere so Brunt's doorstepping feature received overly exposure.  Had there been something of newsworthy significance going on the story might never even been aired.

It wsan't just Sky though it was nearly all UK media.  I am sure that the Daily Mail were passed Brenda's identity as well as Sky as they were very quick on the mark naming her etc. it would appear.

However newsworthy the McCanns are this was way over the top IMO.

Davel next time there is a McCann story. Don't search google news for "McCann" just see if it is there. It probably won't appear on the front page of the search.   Brenda did. 

I expect you hoped that all the others in the dossier were outed in the same manner too.

OK Davel it was up to the media and you think it is fine for nearly every media outlet to call Brenda a trxll again and again and again for days.

Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1413 on: September 04, 2018, 04:48:52 PM »
Some people think Brenda deserved to be outed... I would like to see further abusers outed

All abusers , not just McCann abusers.
Just back home and recalling a conversation with a young relative today about a girl she knows who is  being bullied on social media.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #1414 on: September 04, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »

I suspect the truth behind what occurred was more to do with saving face over their fiasco report from Praia da Luz about the DNA results than it was to do with unearthing an internet troll.

i have  davel on ignore  but though others posts i canseee some of his posts   he worrys me with his wanting others to be outed   he is like a mcann crazy  fan    he cares about no one but the mcanns  brenda  didnt  deserve    anything    like she got  imo

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1415 on: September 04, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »
i have  davel on ignore  but though others posts i canseee some of his posts   he worrys me with his wanting others to be outed   he is like a mcann crazy  fan    he cares about no one but the mcanns  brenda  didnt  deserve    anything    like she got  imo

I don't see the point of putting anyone on "Ignore."

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1416 on: September 04, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »

Neither do I.
It's akin to sticking ones fingers in one's ears and saying I'm not listening.

Offline John

« Reply #1417 on: September 04, 2018, 05:08:30 PM »

I assume that quotes by ignored persons embedded within other posts can still be seen?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1418 on: September 04, 2018, 05:10:02 PM »
I assume that quotes by ignored persons embedded within other posts can still be seen?

Yes they can, so really no point.

Offline John

« Reply #1419 on: September 04, 2018, 05:13:21 PM »
Some people think Brenda deserved to be outed... I would like to see further abusers outed

People are entitled to their anonymity in this country if they so wish so any news organisation breaching it must be damn sure they are on solid ground. What BL took part in might have been morally questionable but it was not illegal.  Are we now to consider Sky News and the BBC to be the upholders of our moral conscience now?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1420 on: September 04, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
People are entitled to their anonymity in this country if they so wish so any news organisation breaching it must be damn sure they are on solid ground. What BL took part in might have been morally questionable but it was not illegal.  Are we now to consider Sky News and the BBC to be the upholders of our moral conscience now?
Did the papers act illegally... No...Brenda made abusive tweets... They have every right to report it... In what way do people have a right to anonymity.... Did the papers tell any lies about brenda.. No..
Sky felt it was newsworthy... I find online abuse such as this a disgrace.... I think abusers need to be outed.... Well done SKY... IMO.... They weren't to know how unstable brenda was

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1421 on: September 04, 2018, 05:23:09 PM »
The problem was brenda, was IMO, thoroughly  ashamed at what she, had posted... And so she, should have been
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:33:40 PM by slartibartfast »

Offline John

« Reply #1422 on: September 04, 2018, 05:25:54 PM »
Did the papers act illegally... No...Brenda made abusive tweets... They have every right to report it... In what way do people have a right to anonymity.... Did the papers tell any lies about brenda.. No..
Sky felt it was newsworthy... I find online abuse such as this a disgrace.... I think abusers need to be outed.... Well done SKY... IMO.... They weren't to know how unstable brenda was

All the more reason they should have let her be. You only need to look at Sir Cliff Richard now after the BBC did their worst to ruin him.  He was fine before they got involved and now he is a shadow of himself.  No pun intended.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #1423 on: September 04, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »
The problem with the dossier compilers and Sky is that they thought the public shared their opinions about online trolling of the McCanns.

The truth was that the public didn't care;

In September 2007 only 20% of the UK population thought the McCanns were blameless.
http://content.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1663733,00.html
What a strange conclusion to draw, particularly using an opinion poll from a time when even supporters like myself thought there must be something in the allegations bring made against them.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #1424 on: September 04, 2018, 05:35:03 PM »
All the more reason they should have let her be. You only need to look at Sir Cliff Richard now after the BBC did their worst to ruin him.  He was fine before they got involved and now he is a shadow of himself.  No pun intended.

But Brenda wasn't fine before she became involved in her abuse of the McCanns.
She had many, many problems, all of which would have contributed to her decision to end her own life