Author Topic: The name calling which marks this case out.  (Read 20600 times)

Offline slartibartfast

Re: The name calling which marks this case out.
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 08:47:24 AM »
The Manager that was a man (John Hill) worked for Mark Warner not Ocean Club, I have seen him reported to be " John Hill, operations manager for Mark Warner at Ocean Club" but at other times Ocean Club Manager. 

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/SILVIA_BATISTA.htm
"Then Gerry kneeled down, hit the floor with both hands, positioning himself as if he were a praying Arab, and screamed twice of anger, what he said being impossible to understand. Then Gerry stand up and accompanied her (the witness) and the other man in the car of the GNR to the apartment A5."

Good find Rob.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Lace

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 08:57:13 AM »
Amaral said it in his documentary and also said that they had repeated the action  in their bedroom,  in other words were like 'praying arabs'  when they were kneeling by the bed crying.    That I find quite insensitive and insulting.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 08:59:26 AM »
I think it’s quite offensive and racially mocking actually.  It’s taking the kick out of another race’s religion whilst simultaneously mocking the parents of a child on discovering their child had just gone missing. IMO.

I agree.

I find their kneeling to pray beside a bed quite a natural pose for stricken Catholic  parents to adopt.
What is perplexing is why Amaral, in his documentary, allowed this to be altered to the bizarre shot of the actors in the roles of the parents being on top of the bed.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 09:01:51 AM »
Amaral said it in his documentary and also said that they had repeated the action  in their bedroom,  in other words were like 'praying arabs'  when they were kneeling by the bed crying.    That I find quite insensitive and insulting.

Which he got from the statement of Batista...
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 09:02:07 AM »

I agree.

I find their kneeling to pray beside a bed quite a natural pose for stricken Catholic  parents to adopt.
What is perplexing is why Amaral, in his documentary, allowed this to be altered to the bizarre shot of the actors in the roles of the parents being on top of the bed.

Strange that he found it significant

Offline John

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 10:06:28 AM »
Which he got from the statement of Batista...

I think it is worth posting the full accounts of this episode which occurred in Main Reception.

From Silvia Batista statement:
7 May 2007

"After she arrived she went immediately to the apartment A5 where she found several people inside the apartment and outside of it. She entered in the flat but soon left without having spoken with anyone, because she was informed that elements of the GNR were in the principal reception. She went there to meet them.

When she came close to the elements of the GNR she found that behind her was
Gerry, Madeleine's father, accompanied by another man whose identity she doesn't remember.

Then Gerry kneeled down, hit the floor with both hands, positioning himself as if he were a praying Arab, and screamed twice of anger, what he said being impossible to understand. Then Gerry stand up and accompanied her (the witness) and the other man in the car of the GNR to the apartment A5."

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/SILVIA_BATISTA.htm#p5p1289to1290

15 May 2007

"When she
arrived at the resort she went immediately to apartment 5A where she found several people as
much/many inside the apartment as outside it."

"When she arrived at the officer's location she saw that behind them was Gerry, Madeleine's
father, with another person but she does not remember who it was. At that time Gerry was on the
ground on his knees, he hit the ground with both his hands, looking like an Arab at prayer, and
emitted two screams of rage [fury, madness] but she could not understand what he said. Then
Gerry stood up and accompanied the deponent and the other person to the GNR vehicle next to
the 5A apartment."

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/SILVIA_BATISTA.htm#p8p1975to1977
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:08:51 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2018, 10:16:39 AM »
I think it is worth posting the full accounts of this episode which occurred in Main Reception.

7 May 2007

"After she arrived she went immediately to the apartment A5 where she found several people inside the apartment and outside of it. She entered in the flat but soon left without having spoken with anyone, because she was informed that elements of the GNR were in the principal reception. She went there to meet them.

When she came close to the elements of the GNR she found that behind her was
Gerry, Madeleine's father, accompanied by another man whose identity she doesn't remember.

Then Gerry kneeled down, hit the floor with both hands, positioning himself as if he were a praying Arab, and screamed twice of anger, what he said being impossible to understand. Then Gerry stand up and accompanied her (the witness) and the other man in the car of the GNR to the apartment A5."

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/SILVIA_BATISTA.htm#p5p1289to1290

15 May 2007

"When she
arrived at the resort she went immediately to apartment 5A where she found several people as
much/many inside the apartment as outside it."

"When she arrived at the officer's location she saw that behind them was Gerry, Madeleine's
father, with another person but she does not remember who it was. At that time Gerry was on the
ground on his knees, he hit the ground with both his hands, looking like an Arab at prayer, and
emitted two screams of rage [fury, madness] but she could not understand what he said. Then
Gerry stood up and accompanied the deponent and the other person to the GNR vehicle next to
the 5A apartment."

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/SILVIA_BATISTA.htm#p8p1975to1977

I see nothing wrong with the phrase praying Arab or Arab at prayer. It is simply a description that everyone will recognise. Now fu**ing tosser’, I do find that offensive and especially when directed at a police officer who was only doing his job.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »
I see nothing wrong with the phrase praying Arab or Arab at prayer. It is simply a description that everyone will recognise. Now fu**ing tosser’, I do find that offensive and especially when directed at a police officer who was only doing his job.

I find F T quite, reasonable in the circumstances

Offline Lace

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »

Well that's a surprise Faithlilly !!

Amaral says  'Praying Arabs'.  They found what Gerry did 'odd'  a father throwing himself on the floor in despair,  showing deep relief that they had finally arrived and could do something to find his daughter,   that action to Amaral was like a 'praying arab'  and then kneeling by the bed in 5a,  obviously praying and crying  that was 'praying arabs'   

Offline Lace

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2018, 10:27:40 AM »

What you fail to remember Faithlilly,  was that Kate had been on friendly terms with the Police officer,  then found herself being accused of hiding her child's body.   Kate said that mantra under her breath,  so what would you have been thinking?   'Nice policeman?'   maybe?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2018, 10:35:29 AM »
I think it’s quite offensive and racially mocking actually.  It’s taking the kick out of another race’s religion whilst simultaneously mocking the parents of a child on discovering their child had just gone missing. IMO.

Did you mean to say taking the kick? I've not heard that saying before. In my opinion too much is being read into what Silvia Batista said, she was just describing what she saw. Anything else is opinion as we don't know what her intentions were.

There is no doubt that Kate McCann's remarks about the GNR officers were derogatory and were intended to be.

To me they seemed bewildered and out of their depth, and I couldn’t shake the images of Tweedledum and
Tweedledee out of my head. [madeleine]
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 10:37:19 AM »
there are plenty of police officers “only doing their job” that could rightly be described using that term.  What makes members of the PJ exempt from criticism?  Kate was expressing her thoughts and feelings honestly in her book, if she thought they were f..king tossers  at the time then she is simply faithfully recording events and thoughts as they happened.  Perhaps she shouldn’t have been so honest and therefore saved you from being so offended?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2018, 10:37:57 AM »
Well that's a surprise Faithlilly !!

Post removed

Let’s cut through all the emotive nonsense and concentrate solely on the phrase ‘praying Arab’.

Why do you find ‘praying Arab’ offensive ? Is it perhaps because you consider being referred to as an arab offensive in itself ? What if we substitute arab for catholic or jew ?  Would you find that offensive too ? Isn’t the phrase simply a way of conjuring up an image everyone will be familiar with?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:00:21 PM by slartibartfast »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »
Did you mean to say taking the kick? I've not heard that saying before. In my opinion too much is being read into what Silvia Batista said, she was just describing what she saw. Anything else is opinion as we don't know what her intentions were.

There is no doubt that Kate McCann's remarks about the GNR officers were derogatory and were intended to be.

To me they seemed bewildered and out of their depth, and I couldn’t shake the images of Tweedledum and
Tweedledee out of my head. [madeleine]
taking the mick- my phone chose to change the word to kick. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline John

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2018, 10:40:36 AM »
What you fail to remember Faithlilly,  was that Kate had been on friendly terms with the Police officer,  then found herself being accused of hiding her child's body.   Kate said that mantra under her breath,  so what would you have been thinking?   'Nice policeman?'   maybe?

Had that been the case it would have been understandable but she then went on to publicize the comment to the entire world in her 'Madeleine' book and that is what some people find so offensive.  After all, Ricardo Paiva was only doing the job for which he was paid.  As police liaison officer it was his job to get close to the family and report back anything unusual.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.