Author Topic: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?  (Read 51587 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?
« Reply #345 on: May 17, 2020, 10:59:26 PM »
Are you absolutely sure about this?  Have you been tested as such?
As soon as I can I'll get an antibody test to confirm it.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Carana

« Reply #346 on: May 18, 2020, 10:28:31 AM »
As soon as I can I'll get an antibody test to confirm it.

So will I.

However, there is still some discussion as to a) whether an antibody test can confirm immunity and to what degree and b) which, if any, test could confirm immunity from all of the main current strains.

IMO, we're all going to have to adapt to a "new normal" way of life for a year or two.

I'm delighted to be out of quarantine, but I'm also conscious of the need to avoid a false sense of security which could compromise my own health and that of others.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #347 on: May 18, 2020, 12:45:16 PM »
So will I.

However, there is still some discussion as to a) whether an antibody test can confirm immunity and to what degree and b) which, if any, test could confirm immunity from all of the main current strains.

IMO, we're all going to have to adapt to a "new normal" way of life for a year or two.

I'm delighted to be out of quarantine, but I'm also conscious of the need to avoid a false sense of security which could compromise my own health and that of others.
I know that feeling.   When did you get the first symptoms, may I ask?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #348 on: May 18, 2020, 02:12:37 PM »

did Carana  say she had covid

Offline Carana

« Reply #349 on: May 18, 2020, 03:51:30 PM »

I doubt that I've had it. A few days of feeling a bit unwell but then it passed.

Did I not have it at all, or did I just get a really mild / asymptomatic version? No idea.

How important is the viral load through, e.g. touching a contaminated surface then touching your face compared to having somone sneeze in your face or spending hours in their company?

Offline Brietta

« Reply #350 on: May 18, 2020, 04:51:46 PM »
I doubt that I've had it. A few days of feeling a bit unwell but then it passed.

Did I not have it at all, or did I just get a really mild / asymptomatic version? No idea.

How important is the viral load through, e.g. touching a contaminated surface then touching your face compared to having somone sneeze in your face or spending hours in their company?

I think that is the problem with it.  You can have it or had it without being aware which makes me a bit uneasy for lockdown not to be lifted too soon.  Although I see that some are now questioning the validity of it in the first instance.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Carana

« Reply #351 on: May 18, 2020, 04:59:18 PM »
I think that is the problem with it.  You can have it or had it without being aware which makes me a bit uneasy for lockdown not to be lifted too soon.  Although I see that some are now questioning the validity of it in the first instance.

I think many people think that the projected figures were OTT - but that's what projections do: estimate the potential worst, best and median outcomes.

At the same time - for the moment, I haven't been boasting about shaking hands with potential Covid patients in a hospital 2 days prior to the first UK death and ending up in a life/death situation myself a few days later.

Offline Carana

« Reply #352 on: May 18, 2020, 05:04:47 PM »
I tried to work out the projected number of potential deaths - my calculations ended up as more than the 510k, but all that was based on statistics from Asia and Italy, who were the first hit.

Projections are (or should be) dynamic and de facto change as data emerges.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #353 on: May 19, 2020, 03:14:00 AM »

How important is the viral load through, e.g. touching a contaminated surface then touching your face compared to having someone sneeze in your face or spending hours in their company?
From what I read and heard via YouTube viral load is the most important issue.   I'd even suggest one engineer a low viral load infection and get mild symptoms rather than wait for the day someone sneezes directly into one's face.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:03:29 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #354 on: June 08, 2020, 11:32:51 PM »
I hadn't known this before!  "Britain's Prince Charles tests positive for Covid-19 coronavirus"  https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/412612/britain-s-prince-charles-tests-positive-for-covid-19-coronavirus
Moderation

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #355 on: June 09, 2020, 10:34:26 AM »
I hadn't known this before!  "Britain's Prince Charles tests positive for Covid-19 coronavirus"  https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/412612/britain-s-prince-charles-tests-positive-for-covid-19-coronavirus

Around the same time as Boris, if I remember correctly.

Unlike Boris, Prince Charles recovered within a week, even though he is over 70!

Online Eleanor

« Reply #356 on: June 09, 2020, 11:04:45 AM »

I am over egging it myself, if anyone wants to know.  I am getting more attention than I have ever had.  I shan't be giving that up in a hurry.

Offline APRIL

« Reply #357 on: June 09, 2020, 01:31:45 PM »
After months of fatigue, I developed acute pancreatitis, hepatitis, acute renal failure and excessively high hypertension.
Was this one of the syndromes of Covid?   There was no real cause established but studies from China had found the connection.   
It was drinking milk that seemed to heal me.   Two days in the hospital and I was sent home.   

I'm so sorry to learn of how very ill you've been, and glad you're now recovered, especially so as my late partner died of chronic pancreatitis, or more specifically, the sepsis caused by it. All the symptoms you describe sound more like pancreatitis that Covid.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #358 on: June 10, 2020, 02:56:49 AM »

I'm so sorry to learn of how very ill you've been, and glad you're now recovered, especially so as my late partner died of chronic pancreatitis, or more specifically, the sepsis caused by it. All the symptoms you describe sound more like pancreatitis that Covid.
In NZ they know of two factors that cause acute pancreatitis and that is gall stones, and drinking alcohol.  I don't drink and I didn't have gall stones on the ultrasound examination.  But at the re-examination, they were trying to talk me into having my gall bladder removed.   I said no way for I know this whole episode I've gone through was Covid related.   I'm 70 -80% recovered now, and my strength is improving slowly.  I'm normally pretty fit for my age, so 70 -80% recovered is probably fitter than many others.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 04:25:59 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline APRIL

« Reply #359 on: June 10, 2020, 08:20:02 AM »
In NZ they know of two factors that cause acute pancreatitis and that is gall stones, and drinking alcohol.  I don't drink and I didn't have gall stones on the ultrasound examination.  But at the re-examination, they were trying to talk me into having my gall bladder removed.   I said no way for I know this whole episode I've gone through was Covid related.   I'm 70 -80% recovered now, and my strength is improving slowly.  I'm normally pretty fit for my age, so 70 -80% recovered is probably fitter than many others.

There is a third -albeit, rare- cause. Idiopathic, in other words, unexplained. This was what I'd believed my late partner's to have been. However, it turned out to be his second bout, 60 months to the week, from the first, undiagnozed, bout. Now, we know that it's an absolute that alcohol and pancreatitis shouldn't be said in the same breath, but whilst he was only a moderate to light drinker, it was something he shouldn't have been doing, AT ALL. Undoubtedly, he'd have experienced bouts of great pain during that time, but whilst he rush to the doctor for a minor ailment, he ignored it...................and so there it sat, for 60 months -which according to American studies, is always going to be fatal- evolving into chronic, necrotizing, pancreatitis.

I'm really interested to learn that it can be Covid related, especially since hearing that some of the symptoms of Covid in the most poorly patients, are exactly those of pancreatitis. Well done on your recovery. May it continue.