Author Topic: Madeleine McCann: Mari Luz Cortes connection, fact and fiction.  (Read 20677 times)

Offline Robittybob1

Re: Madeleine McCann: Mari Luz Cortes connection, fact and fiction.
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2018, 06:47:19 PM »
It is acceptable in Portugal, which is what matters. The opinions expressed by anyone else are irrelevant.
What is the current method of taking statements from foreigners?  It is always difficult to find what historic legislation looked like. 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Sunny

« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2018, 06:55:20 PM »
What is the current method of taking statements from foreigners?  It is always difficult to find what historic legislation looked like.

Looks like it must be in Portuguese

The submission of evidence is acceptable only in the Portuguese language. There is no right to have the
evidence translated into your language. You can, however, make an application to the court if you need
very important evidence to be translated. The decision is at the discretion of the court, but if the court
accepts, you will not have to pay for it.

https://pt.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/185/Judicial-Assistance-to-arrestees-handout_cleared-Nov2017.pdf

I cannot see the British police agreeing to have witness evidence in Portuguese either to be frank.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »

The submission of evidence is acceptable only in the Portuguese language. There is no right to have the
evidence translated into your language. You can, however, make an application to the court if you need
very important evidence to be translated. The decision is at the discretion of the court, but if the court

https://pt.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/185/Judicial-Assistance-to-arrestees-handout_cleared-Nov2017.pdf

I cannot see the British police agreeing to have witness evidence in Portuguese either to be frank.

In the UK the suspects, statement is taken in their own language then translated... In that way there is a, record of what the suspect actually  said

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2018, 07:48:47 PM »

What you have covered is the procedure in the court.  In court evidence has to be submitted in Portuguese. 

What is in dispute is how a person who can't speak Portuguese going to give evidence?  How is a non Portuguese witness going to give evidence?

How does the original statement get taken?

In many countries the original statement is taken in the native language of the witness, it is then translated to the language of the country where the Court is.  The idea that there is no record of the original statement in the native language seems to be incorrect in my opinion.  In the McCann case all the steps by the translators seems 100% verbal and only a Portuguese version results.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2018, 12:17:44 PM »
What you have covered is the procedure in the court.  In court evidence has to be submitted in Portuguese. 

What is in dispute is how a person who can't speak Portuguese going to give evidence?  How is a non Portuguese witness going to give evidence?

How does the original statement get taken?

In many countries the original statement is taken in the native language of the witness, it is then translated to the language of the country where the Court is.  The idea that there is no record of the original statement in the native language seems to be incorrect in my opinion.  In the McCann case all the steps by the translators seems 100% verbal and only a Portuguese version results.

The fact that many months down the line the PJ were asking Kate ... "16   What does “we let her down” mean?" in my opinion shows the enormous chasm between what was said and the meaning of it.

I believe the investigators thought it was a medical term ... one could have thought that if so it might have been pertinent to find out exactly what it did mean prior to the arguida interview.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2018, 05:38:26 PM »
The fact that many months down the line the PJ were asking Kate ... "16   What does “we let her down” mean?" in my opinion shows the enormous chasm between what was said and the meaning of it.

I believe the investigators thought it was a medical term ... one could have thought that if so it might have been pertinent to find out exactly what it did mean prior to the arguida interview.
In veterinary terms we'd say "put her down"  in other words euthanasia.  Whereas a mother might "put her down" meaning put the baby girl to bed.
There is certainly more than one possible meaning for a set of words.
Moderation

Offline Brietta

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2018, 05:47:11 PM »
In veterinary terms we'd say "put her down"  in other words euthanasia.  Whereas a mother might "put her down" meaning put the baby girl to bed.
There is certainly more than one possible meaning for a set of words.

Usually the meaning of a phrase is clear when used in context.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2018, 06:02:22 PM »
Usually the meaning of a phrase is clear when used in context.
True but if a  vet came to me and said "I put my daughter down"  I would be scratching my head.
So if Kate said we let her down, referring to Madeleine, what did she mean?

It is unlikely to be a confession as in "we let her down into a deep well where no one will ever find her".

More likely a cry of despair "we let her down by not being here".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:07:05 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation

Offline Brietta

« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2018, 06:08:14 PM »
True but if a  vet came to me and said "I put my daughter down"  I would be scratching my head.

It is unlikely to be a confession as in "we let her down into a deep well where no one will ever find her".

Precisely

Online Eleanor

« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2018, 06:26:16 PM »

Exactement.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #145 on: October 30, 2018, 07:25:53 PM »

It was something Kate thought at first, but she was later reassured (by a barrister no less!) that her behaviour was well within the bounds of reasonable parenting.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #146 on: October 30, 2018, 07:29:14 PM »
It was something Kate thought at first, but she was later reassured (by a barrister no less!) that her behaviour was well within the bounds of reasonable parenting.

its not something I would do but its something I have done...i think it probably is within the bounds of responsible parenting...with all those children left in chalets at Butlins...none seem to have come to any harm

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2018, 08:38:50 PM »
I'm misinforming no one.... The PJs method of recording statements for non Portuguese speakers is woefully inadequate..... .as Sutton pointed out and is a recipe for error

Don't blame them for Gerry not knowing which door he used to check.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »

The critical issue is how the statement may be used after it has been taken. It may only be in accordance with the relevant laws and court procedures. [Refer CCP].
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #149 on: October 30, 2018, 10:00:44 PM »
The critical issue is how the statement may be used after it has been taken. It may only be in accordance with the relevant laws and court procedures. [Refer CCP].
The statements taken from the majority Portuguese speaking witnesses were essentially OK IMO, it would only be those taken from non-Portuguese speaking persons that would have issues if it ever came to a court hearing.

But you would think all statements should have been taken from the beginning to a standard that they could be used "in accordance with the relevant laws and court procedures".

They ended up with the crazy situation of one of the translators becoming an arguido. 
Moderation