Author Topic: Wandering Off Topic  (Read 1480253 times)

Offline misty

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #465 on: April 28, 2016, 01:28:05 AM »
Why did the UK government phone GM in very early June 2007 (less than 2 weeks after Mitchell arrived) and inform him that they would be withdrawing Mitchell from the case?

I can think of a reason why they may have asked him if he wished to withdraw from the case.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #466 on: April 28, 2016, 01:37:26 AM »
Daily Star 28 Apr claims that the one remaining lead being investigated by SY is the 3 burglars.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/511311/Three-key-burglar-suspects-questioned-Madeleine-McCann-police-theory-attack-lead-Portugal
IMO this article is diversion - it is a rewrite of an earlier article - it has no new content - no new quotes from police - only the usual pink "source".

Offline pegasus

« Reply #467 on: April 28, 2016, 01:41:26 AM »
I can think of a reason why they may have asked him if he wished to withdraw from the case.
On 1/2/3 Jun 2007 the FCO told GM that they were going to withdraw CM from the case.

Offline misty

« Reply #468 on: April 28, 2016, 02:14:16 AM »
On 1/2/3 Jun 2007 the FCO told GM that they were going to withdraw CM from the case.

Ok - so the FCO suggested that CM was too high profile & the McCanns would be best to pay someone for their PR from the FMF.
Was that John Williams who made the call on behalf of the new Foreign Secretary? Cost-cutting - or where are you leading with this?

ETA Not John Williams - misleading Guardian report.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:53:33 AM by misty »

Offline pegasus

« Reply #469 on: April 28, 2016, 02:29:15 AM »
Ok - so the FCO suggested that CM was too high profile & the McCanns would be best to pay someone for their PR from the FMF.
Was that John Williams who made the call on behalf of the new Foreign Secretary? Cost-cutting - or where are you leading with this?
Presumably yes it was JW who phoned GM. This was June 1st or 2nd or 3rd Misty when MB had been FCS for ages and was certainly not new.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 02:32:54 AM by pegasus »

Offline misty

« Reply #470 on: April 28, 2016, 02:31:46 AM »
Presumably yes it was JW who phoned GM. This was June 1st or 2nd or 3rd June Misty when Beckett had been FCS for ages and was certainly not new.

A withdrawal of UK government help for the McCanns, not interference then?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #471 on: April 28, 2016, 02:39:34 AM »
A withdrawal of UK government help for the McCanns, not interference then?
This was IMO an intended reconfiguration of that Govt help to GM to make it less visible.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #472 on: April 28, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »
"At the beginning of June, Gerry had a call from the director of communications at the Foreign Office. There was concern in the government, he said, that Clarence was 'becoming the story'. Whatever the case, it was suggested to Gerry that we should used Madeleine's Fund to employ someone to replace Clarence once our campaign visits were complete. Reluctantly Gerry agreed." (Source: KM book p170)

Did the FCO pull Mr Mitchell off the case?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #473 on: April 28, 2016, 12:06:31 PM »
You are too trusting, Pegasus (snip)
No more trusting than G was, Misty - why did he let this man into the house and who was this man? 

"One day G, in what I can only assume was a moment of weakness, let the self-appointed ‘Lord’s Helper’ into the house. He was a tall, elderly gentleman sporting a wooden crucifix the size of Kansas around his neck. I stared at G in disbelief and soon decided it would be wise to take ... out to the park." (KM book p309-10)

Offline Carana

« Reply #474 on: April 28, 2016, 12:56:17 PM »
"At the beginning of June, Gerry had a call from the director of communications at the Foreign Office. There was concern in the government, he said, that Clarence was 'becoming the story'. Whatever the case, it was suggested to Gerry that we should used Madeleine's Fund to employ someone to replace Clarence once our campaign visits were complete. Reluctantly Gerry agreed." (Source: KM book p170)

Did the FCO pull Mr Mitchell off the case?

CM was on temporary secondment to the FCO assist with the massive media interest in a drama involving UK subjects that had occurred in a foreign country.

There was bound to be a limit at some point as to the support offered in the immediate aftermath.

I don't see the issue.

Offline pegasus

« Reply #475 on: April 28, 2016, 01:41:33 PM »
CM was on temporary secondment to the FCO assist with the massive media interest in a drama involving UK subjects that had occurred in a foreign country.

There was bound to be a limit at some point as to the support offered in the immediate aftermath.

I don't see the issue.
Less than 12 days after his assignment to the case, there was concern in the government that he was becoming the story. The source is KM book p170.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:48:31 PM by pegasus »

Offline pegasus

« Reply #476 on: April 28, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »
It was very philanthropic of people to provide free use of luxury jets.

Offline sadie

« Reply #477 on: April 28, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »

Yep, some people have empathy combined with concern and kindness

When our little boy died from his brain tumour, we were all devastated and we decided to push the boat out and take our daughter to Disney in Florida in an effort to get her and both of us back on track.  Travel to the USA was rare in 1976 and we hadn't a clue where we would stay.

An American customer of my hubbies company (hubby was not the owner nor in charge), heard about our son dying and our proposed visit ... and offered us the use of his gorgeous luxury apartment there.  Such kindness to complete strangers!

Some people have empathy and kindness, others have coldness, bitterness and animosity.

Offline jassi

« Reply #478 on: April 28, 2016, 07:15:12 PM »

Nothing but the best - except when they have to pay themselves, then its Easyjet
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #479 on: April 28, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »
Nothing but the best - except when they have to pay themselves, then its Easyjet

I would have been really impressed had they used the Jet to go and check out the very many 'sightings' around the world... No one from Oprahs  country had a sighting did they? and did the Pope know anything  about a dodgy priest or something?  Hence the Pope visit, what was that about? show ,show ,show!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin