Author Topic: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.  (Read 411268 times)

Offline John

Re: The McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »
Can everyone please address their remarks to the case and not to the litigants appearance. TY
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline John

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 09:45:47 PM »
Oh its never been about money...*chortle* if it had been they would be asking for 10 million not just one in compensation, duh!!..according to clarence mitchell  their spokesman they only take on legal proceedings  with heavy hearts....i bet they are really crying tryng to fleece Amaral and destroy him, I mean I bet they were also crying when they paid metodo 3 to discredit him.....sob sob catholic compassionate sob....kate mccanns forgiven the abductor though how kind

Remember that the lawyers have to be paid.  Carter-Ruck are representing them on a contingency basis so they have to win costs to get paid.  I have a feeling this might be the real reason why £1m is being asked for.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:47:53 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Redblossom

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:16 PM »
Remember that the lawyers have to be paid.  Carter-Ruck are representing them on a contingency basis so they have to win costs to get paid.  I have a feeling this might be the real reason why £1m is being asked for.

I dont know about that

It isnt CR who are involved in the libel case in Portugal, its a PT lawyer Isabel Duarte, nothng to do with them,  but I sort of see what you mean, monies won from there might pay for work CR have done here?

There is no way they are going to be awarded a million quid anyway, libel judgements in Portugal never are anywhere near that kind of money...more in the double thousands

the reason a million was asked for in the first place is because that was the estimate of what he had made from his book........after a year of its publication,yes the mccanns waited and waited so long after the book was published...suffering for a whole year, more profit more claim!

Redblossom

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 09:56:12 PM »
oops here she is on video

http://news.sky.com/story/1140509/madeleine-mccann-kate-at-book-libel-hearing

amaral writing about the police teams conclusions/theory is causing her suffering not the abductor? or what  he did with Madeleine???? Oh but hang on, shes forgiven the abductor and of course there is not a shred of evidende Madeleine has been harmed...... couldnt make it up
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:16:39 PM by Redblossom »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 12:28:07 AM »
The atmosphere was rather cool in the court room today. Mrs Duarte was exceptionally calm and pondered. She not once said "abduction" and speaking about the effect of the book on the McCanns always added "if any".
The interpreter is British (living in Lx) and told me she had been contacted by the tribunal a few days ago.
Generally speaking nobody knows much about the files and some journalists just know what they've read in their newspapers.
Some posters here know much better. Many mistakes were said without anyone protesting.
About 3/4 of an hour were lost because Ms Loach couldn't remember when her documentary had been broadcast in PT and the TVI lawyer had another title !
All the sessions are taped.
I'll be there to-morrow. Too tired to send my notes to-night.
But I sent John some pics.

Redblossom

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 12:07:49 PM »
OK, here we have a short report from Aussie land on the trial.....ooops, Martin Frizell is not on message....he says the taxi driver who picked up Madeleine and others, did so on THE NIGHT, which was the original account, not the next night as the story was refabricated to say in the press a few years later, thanks Martin!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:53:54 PM by Mr Moderator »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 05:34:20 PM »
Hopefully more clangers to come!

OK, here we have a short report from Aussie land on the trial.....ooops, Martin Frizell is not on message....he says the taxi driver who picked up Madeleine and others, did so on THE NIGHT, which was the original account, not the next night as the story was refabricated to say in the press a few years later, thanks Martin!

The feared media circus was unfounded, but I wonder how the twins will, this time, escape the echos of the UK media about the alleged death of their sister.

icabodcrane

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
Thanks again to Anne for her updates

We are lucky to have our own reporter on the ground  ...   this must be  'the'   forum for breaking news 

Well done Justice folk

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 08:13:40 PM »
Thanks again to Anne for her updates

We are lucky to have our own reporter on the ground  ...   this must be  'the'   forum for breaking news 

Well done Justice folk

Problem is that there is nothing to report.Two days and very little has happened. How long has this case dragged on for and when will a decision be reached.

icabodcrane

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 08:21:16 PM »
Problem is that there is nothing to report.Two days and very little has happened. How long has this case dragged on for and when will a decision be reached.

Well I'm just grateful that we have someone on the spot who can accurately tell us what is  (  or isn't  )  happening

I do hope Anne can be at the court again next week,  when,   I presume,  Amaral's witnesses will appear 

Offline DCI

• Why are some folks so sick in the head!!!
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 08:42:18 PM »
Oh my, Is Anne telling porkies again?

http://www.tvi24.iol.pt/503/sociedade/goncalo-amaral-julgamento-mccann-maddie-psicologo-advogado/1489586-4071.html

Maddie case: Psychologist and criminal lawyer testify in favor of the McCanns
Afternoon session was canceled

By: TVI24 | 09/13/2013 19:42

Only two witnesses, a psychologist and a criminal lawyer, were heard today in the second day of the trial of the civil case filed by the McCanns against former PJ inspector Gonçalo Amaral, after the afternoon session to be canceled. According to Isabel Duarte, the lawyer McCann, canceling the hearing scheduled for the afternoon was due to a "personal problem" of Judge Maria Emilia Melo e Castro. The impediment is however temporary and does not compromise the progress of the trial. Isabel Duarte, the McCanns lawyer in a civil action for defamation against the former PJ inspector who investigated the disappearance of British child in Algarve (2007), said Lusa that due to this unforeseen with the judge, it was not possible for the court to hear the remaining three witnesses, all of them relatives of British couple.

With Kate McCann and the grandfather of missing girl sitting in the area for the public, the audience Morning served to hear an English psychologist who accompanied the twins Madeleine McCann, after the tragic disappearance of the child in an apartment hotel in Lagos, Algarve. heard The other witness was a criminal lawyer who helped the McCanns in an attempt to decipher the mystery surrounding the disappearance of Madeleine McCann and who talked about the media impact that had on the public statements of England Gonçalo Amaral to involve parents in the child's disappearance. Isabel Duarte said that the next trial sessions are scheduled for 19, 20 and 27 September, continuing the 2:08 and ending October to 05 November.

According to the lawyer, Kate McCann will not testify at trial, despite the new Code of Civil Procedure provide for this right now, since the process has worked and prepared another assumption. Same goes with Gonçalo Amaral, which should not testify at trial. After previously, the parties have not reached an out of court settlement in the civil action, in which the parents of Madeleine McCann demanded a compensation of 1.2 million euros for alleged defamation of former PJ inspector, the trial began with the examination of three witnesses - a Canadian and two British - "friends" of the McCanns.

Speaking Thursday Lusa, Isabel Duarte said, from the beginning, the McCanns have always been open to a court settlement with Gonçalo Amaral, but it was not possible to reach an agreement with the defendant. He stressed, however, that the main objective of the McCanns was that the investigation into the disappearance the child was resumed, which, he said, has now taken place, without any further details or other clues. Ongoing related, 7. th Civil Court of Lisbon decided in January 2010 to keep the ban in book sales "Maddie: The Truth of the Lie", written by Goncalo Amaral, and video with the same title, based on a documentary aired on TVI.

Madeleine McCann disappeared on May 3, 2007, in an apartment of a tourist resort in Praia da Luz in the Algarve, where he was on holiday with her ​​parents and twin brothers. At the time of the disappearance, Goncalo Amaral was the coordinator of the Criminal Investigation Department of the Judicial Police of Portimão. Kate and Gerry McCann, who always claimed that the child was abducted, were made ​​defendants in September 2007. The case was dropped for lack of evidence, in July 2008, although prosecutors admit reopening if new data emerge about the child's disappearance.
Kate's 500 Mile Cycle Challenge

https://www.justgiving.com/KateMcCann/

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »
Implicit in the act of taking Amaral, given his high position in the PJ, to court, lies the suggestion that the PJ as a whole is corrupt. This is on top of the more explicit statements and suggestions made by the McCanns over the years to the fact that they regard not only the PJ but the Portuguese authorities as a whole as being below par.

There is a problem here, because one cannot on the one hand make claims against the integrity of a system, and at the same time, appeal to a court that is an embodiment of that system that it should somehow be the one to iron things out. Firstly, it is an affront to the court. Secondly, if the court and related institutions were below par as claimed, the court would not be capable of offering justice, and would continue to serve to protect only itself. There would be no practical gain in appealing to it.

The inherent contradiction in what the McCanns are attempting to do is an insult to the intelligence of the Portuguese in general, but apparently the McCanns believe that such ironies go unnoticed, because at the same time, the Portuguese authorities are being expected to co-operate with SY and restart the search for Madeleine in Portugal - which in order to be effective, would involve certain amount of co-operation from the Portuguese media as well.

It is hard to fathom where such bad advice comes from or what kind of 'logic' precedes it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:51:26 PM by Sherlock Holmes »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Well I'm just grateful that we have someone on the spot who can accurately tell us what is  (  or isn't  )  happening

I do hope Anne can be at the court again next week,  when,   I presume,  Amaral's witnesses will appear
Thank you, Icabodcrane. Actually I have many things to report, but I need time to "clean" my notes that now are in a mixture of French, English and Portuguese, as I tend to choose the shortest word ! And to-night I'm going to the movie ! The last Woody Allen.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2013, 08:44:51 PM »
Mrs Healy wasn't in the court room to-day. Witnesses stay in a private room up to the moment they're called to state.
Next sessions are only for accusation's witnesses. And I think that on the 27th also.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2013, 08:57:06 PM »
Thank you, Icabodcrane. Actually I have many things to report, but I need time to "clean" my notes that now are in a mixture of French, English and Portuguese, as I tend to choose the shortest word ! And to-night I'm going to the movie ! The last Woody Allen.

Thanks for all your hard work, Anne

Enjoy the film!