Author Topic: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann  (Read 1365429 times)

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Re: Latest news on the search for Madeleine McCann
« Reply #2070 on: February 09, 2014, 04:56:33 PM »
My only concern is that SY and others are placing too much relevance on technology over good policing.

But what choice do they have?

After seven years, trails have gone cold. The time for good policing has passed.

All they can do is work with the snippets they have.

Offline jassi

« Reply #2071 on: February 09, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
So you don't think that detailed questioning  or re-questioning of all the persons known to be closely involved with her at PDL should be a priority ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Redblossom

« Reply #2072 on: February 09, 2014, 05:09:55 PM »

I am with you there. I just hope that even if that is not the case someway will be found to end this distasteful circus.

Elephants - in the room
Tiger - media circus Mccanns started against police advice and can't escape and which IMO damaged he "search"

Clowns - oh yes, lots of them

Tightrope walkers -

>@@(*&)

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #2073 on: February 09, 2014, 05:10:39 PM »

After seven years, trails have gone cold. The time for good policing has passed.

True. Unless someone breaks under the pressure of guilt the chances of a conclusion are remote.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2074 on: February 09, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
So you don't think that detailed questioning  or re-questioning of all the persons known to be closely involved with her at PDL should be a priority ?

Yes, I think that everything that can be done, should be done.

Hopefully there will be new information to be gleaned, interviewing people who may not have been thoroughly questioned last time, and other diligences technological and otherwise.

But the fact remains that some of the trails that were not pursued rigorously enough at the beginning will have gone cold.

Lyall

« Reply #2075 on: February 09, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »

Seven years is better than seventy. But snippets? There is a mass of information, and the Met have supercomputers (while we only have our feeble, amateur brains).

You'd expect something more than what we've seen I think... if there was actually anything to find in the direction they have been looking that is.

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #2076 on: February 09, 2014, 05:14:32 PM »

Hopefully there will be new information to be gleaned, interviewing people who may not have been thoroughly questioned last time, and other diligences technological and otherwise.

But the fact remains that some of the trails that were not pursued rigorously enough at the beginning will have gone cold.

Problem is that recollection of events 7 years ago is bound to be a little flakey and the chances of false memories associated with the publicity surrounding the case increase.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline jassi

« Reply #2077 on: February 09, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »

Yes, more rigorous questioning at the beginning may well have solved the mystery, but SY & PJ have to work with what is available to them  now.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Lyall

« Reply #2078 on: February 09, 2014, 05:20:27 PM »
Problem is that recollection of events 7 years ago is bound to be a little flakey and the chances of false memories associated with the publicity surrounding the case increase.

I don't think police lose sleep at night worrying about that possibility. >@@(*&)

They just let the lawyers decide whether to proceed.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:23:32 PM by Lyall »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2079 on: February 09, 2014, 05:25:46 PM »

This is yet another tragedy.  The original investigation was so very deeply flawed.  This is now being proved.  But none of that would have been the end of the world if only Amaral had not compounded the felony.
No One would seriously have blamed him for not being able to cope.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2080 on: February 09, 2014, 05:27:13 PM »
 >@@(*&)
Seven years is better than seventy. But snippets? There is a mass of information, and the Met have supercomputers (while we only have our feeble, amateur brains).

You'd expect something more than what we've seen I think... if there was actually anything to find in the direction they have been looking that is.

Seven is better than seventy, yes. And computers are great - but they're only as good as what has been programmed into them. Information that was lost at the start and never placed on file is for the most part irreplaceable.

As to what we've seen so far, they surely must either be near a breakthrough of some kind, regarding which these recent articles are some kind of bizarre drumroll, or they're showing that a frenzy of work is going on before announcing that there have been no major conclusions. One way  or another,  Operation Grange is not going to go on for all that much longer.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:30:33 PM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline jassi

« Reply #2081 on: February 09, 2014, 05:31:07 PM »
Seven is better than seventy, yes. And computers are great - but they're only as good as what has been programmed into them. Information that was lost at the start and never placed on file is for the most part irreplaceable.

As to what we've seen so far, they surely must either be near a breakthrough of some kind, regarding which these recent articles are some bizarre drumroll, or they're showing that a frenzy of work is going on before announcing that there have been no conclusions to their work. One way  or another, Operation Grange is not going to go on for all that much longer.

I wish I shared your confidence. Obviously the plug will be pulled - just hope its in my lifetime.

Or maybe not -

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2082 on: February 09, 2014, 05:32:07 PM »
I wish I shared your confidence. Obviously the plug will be pulled - just hope its in my lifetime.

Who do you think is going to continue paying for it if it does go on much longer?

Offline Apostate

« Reply #2083 on: February 09, 2014, 05:33:34 PM »
This is yet another tragedy.  The original investigation was so very deeply flawed.  This is now being proved.  But none of that would have been the end of the world if only Amaral had not compounded the felony.
No One would seriously have blamed him for not being able to cope.

Nothing of the sort has been proved. After nearly 3 years Grange have come up with nothing except the e-fits which the McCanns wanted kept quiet.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

« Reply #2084 on: February 09, 2014, 05:36:44 PM »
Nothing of the sort has been proved. After nearly 3 years Grange have come up with nothing except the e-fits which the McCanns wanted kept quiet.

Let's hope there is a great deal more going on behind the scenes than we know of, and that these press 'reports' are simply diversions.