Author Topic: My Response from the Prisoner Location Service  (Read 17951 times)

Offline Leonora

Re: My Response from the Prisoner Location Service
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »
Have to say i disagree in blaming the service and dont agree that you can say their service is disgusting!

He may well have been asked and then the request chased up by the service.

If he chooses to not answer which is his right then they cannot even say his answer is NO. Under Data Protection as they have explained, its not possible to even confirm that because he hasnt given permission

It would have been easier if it was a flat out No but he has chosen not to reply. He probably isnt half as 'famous' as you think and most people if not connected to the case, wont even remember his name

The service works well. I have used it myself and received a reply within 2 weeks

Its easy to jump to conclusion and shout cover up etc. If that was the case, it would have been a polite no...
Not once did they acknowledge that the they had identified the prisoner whom she was inquiring about in their records. As his name is unique, and as he is so famous, this alone could have been done in 6 minutes, not 6 weeks. As he was convicted publicly in a Crown Court, this information is obviously NOT covered by the Data Protection Act.

Not once did they inform her of the prison where he is held, or has been held. As it is public knowledge that he has been held at both Long Lartin and Wakefield, they would have violated no rules by stating these facts. Omitting to do so to mrswah was just plain rude.

Not once did they confirm whether or not Vincent Tabak has been asked whether he wants to receive mail from strangers, as some other prisoners certainly do. This too was rude, as mrswah is entitled to know the facts that are obviously not covered by the Data Protection Act.

If you really got a reply to an inquiry about another, less famous, prisoner, after only two weeks, that is evidence brought by you, that Vincent Tabak is the subject of a special cover-up, and it is time you showed more respect for those of us who genuinely want to get to the bottom of this cover-up.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:34:29 PM by John »

jixy

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
They ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ANSWER IN ANY WAY IF HE DOESNT GIVE PERMISSION!!!!

He could have been released gone back to his home country or anything

He hasnt spoken up for himself in the years that has passed and I assume he doesnt want anyone else to either. Letters to strangers get in the press, they often do!

The word famous isnt a word I choose to use but his prison sentence is well documented in the media and many many people know his name
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:36:42 PM by John »

jixy

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
PS You may WANT to know but you have no right to be told!

Offline Leonora

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »
PS You may WANT to know but you have no right to be told!
This is not about MY rights, it is about mrswah's right to be treated politely by an official agency. Contrary to what you post, mrswah was entitled ABSOLUTELY to receive the minimum information that I listed in my post, since she had gone to the trouble of making the application. She was also entitled to be notified of the limitations imposed on her request, rather than the very rude blanket answers we know she received. These alone prove that there is a difference between the way your request was handled, and the way mrswah's was handled.

jixy

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 12:06:52 PM »
Wrong you dont get to know just because you ask and rightly

She has NO rights whatsoever she has no connection to him and he obviously wants none with her!

As it should be!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:37:42 PM by John »

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »
Jixy, I am inclined to go with what you say about the Data Protection Act ,realising that you probably know more about this than I do.   I am certainly not losing any sleep over the response I received from the Prisoner Location service. It does make me wonder what has become of VT, but then, I am nosy!

My husband, who is a retired lawyer (although not a criminal lawyer), tells me that the public would have to be told if VT had been repatriated to Holland, or was dead. I am not sure if I agree with him, and I would like to know what the rest of you think---just as a matter of interest.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:38:37 PM by John »

jixy

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
My post wasnt aimed at you just the fact that Tabak doesnt want to talk to you and most likely to anyone. If he was going to take any opportunity to speak and was in fact innocent im sure we would have heard rumblings by now

Maybe its easy to say they are to blame but the obvious difference in your replies and mine are that the prisoner chose to give an answer

As it seems, you have asked more than  once and the service has done so on your behalf. IF they receive no reply, they cant be faulted for the actions of someone else. They did in fact try more than once.

At the end of the day, if he ignores the requests, their hands are tied hence your replies
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:39:27 PM by John »

Offline John

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 02:44:01 PM »
I have edited some of the less than constructive comments above so please can we have less of the sniping.

If someone wants to contact a prisoner held in the UK but don't have a prison number I suggest they write to the lawyer which last acted for him enclosing a letter.  Alternatively, a letter can be sent to their family asking that it be sent on to the prisoner.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:54:26 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 03:37:52 PM »
I have edited some of the less than constructive comments above so please can we have less of the sniping.

If someone wants to contact a prisoner held in the UK but don't have a prison number I suggest they write to the lawyer which last acted for him enclosing a letter.  Alternatively. a letter can be sent to their family asking that it be sent on to the prisoner.

Thank you for that, John. Much appreciated.

Offline Leonora

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »

If someone wants to contact a prisoner held in the UK but don't have a prison number I suggest they write to the lawyer which last acted for him enclosing a letter.  Alternatively, a letter can be sent to their family asking that it be sent on to the prisoner.
This is a very sensible recommendation in the case of one of the many prominent prisoners who continues to protest his innocence, and whose family supports him. Some of these prisoners even have websites supporting them.

Would you feel comfortable, though, contacting the family of a well-known prisoner whom they had very publicly disowned? Do they mean it, or is it just a public posture to protect them against having bricks and worse flung through their windows?

I wouldn't feel very happy about writing to an eminent lawyer who told the jury that he did not expect them to like his client, whose behaviour he said was disgusting.

Those close to Vincent Tabak personally have indicated that they do not welcome any approaches from the public, even supportive ones. He doesn't even have a supporters' web site. I think this is very odd, as Buro Happold and its employees, who had known him for much longer than William Clegg, and certainly liked him enough to keep him on and send him on business trips. I think Buro Happold have a greater obligation than anyone else to respond politely to requests from members of the public, including answering mrswah's basic legitimate questions that the prisoner location service so brusquely dismissed.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 05:55:37 PM by John »

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 11:36:43 AM »
I wont write to the family, Leonora. After all, I wouldn't even know where to write, and I don't speak Dutch!

I will dare write to Mr Clegg, however, or to Mr Armstrong. I know  the address of their Chambers , and if nothing else,   I am  intrigued to see what (if any) response I get!

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
Incidentally, I cannot believe, for one moment, that VT's family has disowned him.

Offline John

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 05:57:25 PM »
I wont write to the family, Leonora. After all, I wouldn't even know where to write, and I don't speak Dutch!

I will dare write to Mr Clegg, however, or to Mr Armstrong. I know  the address of their Chambers , and if nothing else,   I am  intrigued to see what (if any) response I get!

Good idea, there is no reason why they cannot send a letter to VT or to his new lawyer if he has one.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline John

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 05:58:39 PM »
Incidentally, I cannot believe, for one moment, that VT's family has disowned him.

They are most probably annoyed with him and saddened at his despicable behaviour.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:40:06 PM by John »

Offline Leonora

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 06:58:22 PM »
Nor can I. The very famous prisoner I was referring to, whose family has very publicly disowned him, was certainly not Vincent Tabak, but another prisoner with whose identity you are all very familiar.