Author Topic: Madeleine McCann’s parents hit by ‘150 vile tweets a DAY from online trolls’  (Read 61860 times)

Offline faithlilly

There has been bitter engagements from both sides so yes, it is hard not to acknowledge. However the majority of posts or tweets that make the media channels is almost exclusively people making obscene comments about Madeleine's parents. If I am wrong on this observation please set me straight as I am not familiar with the McCann press as I once was.

I think you have to look at who is bringing this to the press's attention.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline The Singularity

I believe the same researcher is also going to publish a piece on McCann supporters. I wonder if that will get as much tabloid attention?

I have noticed that on the OFM Facebook page there has been almost no sign of Madeleine for the last three months but copious posts on trolling. It does make you wonder why that is ? Why at this point in time are the McCanns so desperate to paint themselves as innocent victims of the 'mob', as well as the Portuguese ( 'Portuguese agenda' )? I suppose if there was ever to be a trial it would be handy to be able to show that it couldn't be fair.

It would be interesting to see their findings in the second report even if there is no publicity, it does make for an even investigation and conclusions.

I suspect that it is more to do with the fact that Madeleine's parents are getting a lot of abuse across multiple platforms and not highlighting it in an attempt for any possible court proceedings. Having said that, I'm not sure what trial could be brought against someone unless Madeleine is found or critical new evidence comes to light

Offline The Singularity

I think you have to look at who is bringing this to the press's attention.

Do you have any suggestions as to where I would start in looking?

Offline faithlilly

It would be interesting to see their findings in the second report even if there is no publicity, it does make for an even investigation and conclusions.

I suspect that it is more to do with the fact that Madeleine's parents are getting a lot of abuse across multiple platforms and not highlighting it in an attempt for any possible court proceedings. Having said that, I'm not sure what trial could be brought against someone unless Madeleine is found or critical new evidence comes to light

It's undeniable that the McCanns are getting a lot of abuse across multiple platforms but I'm not sure how their ' victimhood' takes precedence over publicising their daughter's disappearance on what it is, after all, an awareness raising page?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline faithlilly

Do you have any suggestions as to where I would start in looking?

Perhaps you could start looking at supporter's tweets to various newspapers. Alternatively at the NSU accounts. Mitchell was being paid an awful lot of money at one point. He must have been doing something to earn it.

Offline The Singularity

It's undeniable that the McCanns are getting a lot of abuse across multiple platforms but I'm not sure how their ' victimhood' takes precedence over publicising their daughter's disappearance on what it is, after all, an awareness raising page?

Ideally I would be of the opinion that it should be kept away from there and only concentrate on information regarding finding Madeleine.

Offline The Singularity

Perhaps you could start looking at supporter's tweets to various newspapers. Alternatively at the NSU accounts. Mitchell was being paid an awful lot of money at one point. He must have been doing something to earn it.

Mr Mitchell was paid as I understand it, to handle the press relations and communication with the world's media. I assume his previous professional background made him suitable for this role.  regarding the amount of money he was paid is purely down to the value he was, also this will have been down to the contract negotiation that all parties agreed to.

I have of recent delved once or twice into the tweets and my first impression was that little had changed over the years.

Offline Benice

I think the doctor has a point here but I am torn by this because I do respect a free and open internet. This touches on the free speech that we all have the luxury to exercise. Some I'm sure would argue that is their free speech to pass comment on Madeleine's parents however there is a common sense line drawn. Being vulgar or in anyway inciting harm towards the parents or twins simply can never be seen as exercising free speech.

snipped

It seems to me that troll activity actually prevents free speech in some instances.      I wonder how many people - especially those in the public eye deliberately refrain from expressing their support for the McCanns because they have seen what happens to those who do - Aled Jones being a prime example.

That can't be right and its about time Twitter were held to account for turning a blind eye.   Maybe extremely hefty fines - far in excess of what they would have to pay people to properly monitor and control these pests would encourage them to be more responsible.      I find it hard to believe that in this day and age the appropriate technology doesn't exist.
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline The Singularity

It seems to me that troll activity actually prevents free speech in some instances.      I wonder how many people - especially those in the public eye deliberately refrain from expressing their support for the McCanns because they have seen what happens to those who do - Aled Jones being a prime example.

Considering what I have seen in the past I have to strongly agree with this. The best outcome for these people who take it upon themselves to behave in this manner seek to destroy debate or even intelligent discourse by the use of inflammatory remarks or simple abuse. They are using it to quite possibly render people silent and their opinion is the only one that should be talked about and repeated over and over again. Any dissent or alternative view is simply not tolerated.

Twitter have a shameful record I think regarding all manner of abuses that take place, I do believe the technology must exist but as yet have not implemented it or choose not to. Even if you report comments that are clearly a breach of the terms and conditions, only very rarely is some direct action taken as a result.

Alfie

That can't be right and its about time Twitter were held to account for turning a blind eye.   Maybe extremely hefty fines - far in excess of what they would have to pay people to properly monitor and control these pests would encourage them to be more responsible.      I find it hard to believe that in this day and age the appropriate technology doesn't exist.
I do not post in support of the McCanns under my own name anymore  as I don't want my business targeted again, in the way it has been in the past by twitter trolls, nor my children dragged into it as I have seen other people's children plastered across the net.  I know for a fact that there have been McCann sceptics intent on discovering my real life ID even recently which is somewhat disturbing.  Why would they want to know that information?  What did I ever do that required their investigative attentions, apart from argue that their theories are bonkers and their vocal hatred unkind and unnecessary? 

Offline The Singularity

I do not post in support of the McCanns under my own name anymore  as I don't want my business targeted again, in the way it has been in the past by twitter trolls, nor my children dragged into it as I have seen other people's children plastered across the net.  I know for a fact that there have been McCann sceptics intent on discovering my real life ID even recently which is somewhat disturbing.  Why would they want to know that information?  What did I ever do that required their investigative attentions, apart from argue that their theories are bonkers and their vocal hatred unkind and unnecessary?

In short, intimidation. If you were very vocal and didn't respond to baiting then they would go after the softer targets, spouse, children, place of employment. It was ultimately all done to silence you and others like you. With some people it did work whereas not so successful with others despite the barrage of daily abuse, phone calls etc. Also the police forces going back a few years didn't know how to deal with such complaints and only now seem more willing to enforce the Communications Act.

Offline G-Unit

In short, intimidation. If you were very vocal and didn't respond to baiting then they would go after the softer targets, spouse, children, place of employment. It was ultimately all done to silence you and others like you. With some people it did work whereas not so successful with others despite the barrage of daily abuse, phone calls etc. Also the police forces going back a few years didn't know how to deal with such complaints and only now seem more willing to enforce the Communications Act.

I don't take much notice of twitter, they all seem as bad as each other really. The only documented cases of outing and threats I am aware of are Brenda Leyland and Leanne Baulch. Has anyone got any other documented cases they an point me to?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline The Singularity

I had to Google Leanne Baulch as it wasn't a name I was familiar with, Ms Leyland I believe is the twitter user that killed herself following an interview with a reporter. I am somewhat disheartened to see Ms Baulch was a victim of online abuse regardless of her motivations for setting up the fund for Mr Amaral. It's simply not to be tolerated.

Alfie

I don't take much notice of twitter, they all seem as bad as each other really. The only documented cases of outing and threats I am aware of are Brenda Leyland and Leanne Baulch. Has anyone got any other documented cases they an point me to?
documented, no.  I don't compile documents on such matters as I think that the individuals concerned would rather not have their names repeated on here and are are best left to be forgotten but I do know of numerous "outings" that have taken place on various forums and on twitter, I know of at least two different people whose employers were contacted in an attempt to get them sacked.  One was a university lecturer and author who spoke out against the vile hate on twitter, was perfectly civil but once he'd attracted the trolls' attention presented a very easy target.  I'm glad to say he did not lose his job over it, but I believe his book got a few malicious online reviews from people who'd never even bothered to read it in the first place. 

Offline Robittybob1

It's interesting that the study is being carried out by the psychology department... it confirms my belief that Those that abuse the McCanns are mentally disturbed
That is not strictly confirmation.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.