Author Topic: Madeleine McCann’s parents hit by ‘150 vile tweets a DAY from online trolls’  (Read 62049 times)

Offline Brietta

You confuse coming to a conclusion based on evidence with bias.

Isn't that exactly what is being done by some on this thread concerning the study carried out by Dr John Synott?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

Perhaps you could find the post where I suggested you should patrol the internet.  I have formed an opinion of you based on your posting history and it is very clear to me that you have a definite bias, surely you cannot disagree with this?

Your opinion of me is your business, and I have no interest in it. When you decide to share it with all and sundry it becomes my business. If I disagree with what you say about me I will say so. Otherwise I feel under no obligation  to respond to your incessant curiosity about my opinions and motives.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline misty

How can the latest attempt via petition to Theresa May to have the McCanns prosecuted for child neglect aid anything other than the trolls' attempt to gain some sort of weird satisfaction? How do they think the twins would feel seeing their parents in court, knowing that police are still trying to find their sister?

Offline Brietta

It's an interesting subject.  And someone was going to do it one day.  It just happens to be now.

The surprise is it has taken so long in coming.  I think this may very well be the first of many studies of this type.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline G-Unit

Isn't that exactly what is being done by some on this thread concerning the study carried out by Dr John Synott?

I can't comment on the study because I can't find a transcript of it. I don't know what their definition of a 'troll' is, I don't know what they define as being 'vile', I don't know how long they devoted to their study or what they and others actually said to each other. Accepting or rejecting their findings isn't possible without more information.
Result = happy posting.

Alfie

Your opinion of me is your business, and I have no interest in it. When you decide to share it with all and sundry it becomes my business. If I disagree with what you say about me I will say so. Otherwise I feel under no obligation  to respond to your incessant curiosity about my opinions and motives.
Fine, but this is a chat forum where exchanges of opinion take place, so when you state an opinion don't be surprised if it's challenged, and if you claim you are unbiased, unjudgemental, fair minded etc it helps to demonstrate these qualities in the posts you write, otherwise people like me will question your very high opinion of yourself. 

stephen25000

Now let's see an analysis of those at the other end of the spectrum.

Alfie

There are people posting their opinions of the McCann case online every day. I have yet to see evidence that they are all 'vile trolls' and that their intention is to 'attack the McCann family'. That is a matter of opinion, not fact.
Who has claimed that all people who post their opinion on the McCann case online are vile trolls?

Offline Brietta

I can't comment on the study because I can't find a transcript of it. I don't know what their definition of a 'troll' is, I don't know what they define as being 'vile', I don't know how long they devoted to their study or what they and others actually said to each other. Accepting or rejecting their findings isn't possible without more information.

Synnott, J., Coulias, A. and Ioannou, M. (2017) ‘Online trolling the case of Madeleine McCann’ Computers in Human Behavior , 71, pp. 70-78. ISSN 0747-5632

Online Eleanor

The surprise is it has taken so long in coming.  I think this may very well be the first of many studies of this type.

I am also surprised that it has taken so long.  It's been begging to be done for years.  I've even done my own analysis.  And pretty nearly spot on.  All a bit sad, really.

Offline G-Unit

Fine, but this is a chat forum where exchanges of opinion take place, so when you state an opinion don't be surprised if it's challenged, and if you claim you are unbiased, unjudgemental, fair minded etc it helps to demonstrate these qualities in the posts you write, otherwise people like me will question your very high opinion of yourself.

I do my utmost to support my opinions with facts. I have no objection to people proposing an alternative opinion based on facts.

I will continue to object if I am attacked on a personal level, which you are continuing to do above.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

I do my utmost to support my opinions with facts. I have no objection to people proposing an alternative opinion based on facts.

I will continue to object if I am attacked on a personal level, which you are continuing to do above.

Your problem is what you believe to be factual
Your beliefs are based on the files and you believe the statements to be accurate
They are not
So the basis of your beliefs are flawed

Alfie

You seem to make many observations about the McCanns based on things you find "odd" and "strange" or what you would or wouldn't do - that's opinion not fact.  Carry on objecting by the way, I have no objection to you objecting.  8(0(*

Offline G-Unit

Your problem is what you believe to be factual
Your beliefs are based on the files and you believe the statements to be accurate
They are not
So the basis of your beliefs are flawed

If someone signs a statement they are confirming it's accuracy. Please provide your evidence in support of your allegation that people signed inaccurate statements.
Result = happy posting.

Offline G-Unit

Synnott, J., Coulias, A. and Ioannou, M. (2017) ‘Online trolling the case of Madeleine McCann’ Computers in Human Behavior , 71, pp. 70-78. ISSN 0747-5632

I couldn't access the whole article, could you? If so a link would be appreciated.
Result = happy posting.