Author Topic: Madeleine McCann’s parents hit by ‘150 vile tweets a DAY from online trolls’  (Read 62019 times)

Alfie

While the behaviour of those posting vile comments is abhorrent Katie Price does little to dissuade the posters with her publicising into every area of her personal life. Does any other celebrity with a disabled child engender this kind of treatment?
That is beside the point - my original question was:

There is a point of view (expressed on this forum) that if vile abuse from twitter trolls is directed at the McCanns then it doesn't really matter as they are not on social media so don't read it.  What do people holding this view think about the vile trolling of Katie Price's blind and mentally disabled son on twitter, given that he cannot read or understand the tweets does that make it OK? 

Offline barrier

There is a point of view (expressed on this forum) that if vile abuse from twitter trolls is directed at the McCanns then it doesn't really matter as they are not on social media so don't read it.  What do people holding this view think about the vile trolling of Katie Price's blind and mentally disabled son on twitter, given that he cannot read or understand the tweets does that make it OK?

Out of interest have you actually read this supposed trolling on twitter (a place I do not go) or are you being offended on behalf of others.

Edit to add I see in another thread you have pretty much answered that.
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Alfie

Out of interest have you actually read this supposed trolling on twitter (a place I do not go) or are you being offended on behalf of others.

Edit to add I see in another thread you have pretty much answered that.
Interesting to note that no one has actually bothered to address my question but have continued to skirt around the issue.

stephen25000

Perhaps you should research Katie Price's history on Twitter.

Hardly an angel.

Clearly her disabled son would be unaware of this .

As to stopping this kind of behaviour, how exactly would that be done ?

Alfie

Perhaps you should research Katie Price's history on Twitter.

Hardly an angel.

Clearly her disabled son would be unaware of this .

As to stopping this kind of behaviour, how exactly would that be done ?
The question is about vile tweets and whether or not the target of the tweets actually reads them.  If Harvey cannot read or understand the vile tweets then "no harm done" right?  Or not?

stephen25000

The question is about vile tweets and whether or not the target of the tweets actually reads them.  If Harvey cannot read or understand the vile tweets then "no harm done" right?  Or not?

I have not read these tweets you refer to.

However, Alfie you are clearly using K. Price and her son as a diversion.

Now since the Mccann's don't use social media, how has it harmed them ?

As you know full well, people on both sides of the case have exchanged words.

How would you stop it ?

Offline Mr Gray

How would you stop it ?

its harmed their reputation.......because others have read it.....is that so hard to understand

Alfie

How would you stop it ?
There is no way it can be stopped without clamping down on freedom of speech which I am against.  I'm more interested in the moral aspect which is why I asked the question - if the person being ridiculed and bullied and mocked does not read or understand what hundreds of people are tweeting and re-tweeting about them has any real harm been done or not?

stephen25000

its harmed their reputation.......because others have read it.....is that so hard to understand

Their reputations Dave, were harmed by what they did in Portugal.

That was self induced.

Alfie

Loving this article by Grace Dent, especially:

And if, like me, you’re on the internet all day, one will see the very best of mankind, but also humanity’s worst, distilled into an effervessant flow of mispelled, gormless tweets. It’s hard to read the tech-propelled mind-farts of anti-semites, meninists, back-bedroom Jihadis, Madeline McCann obsessives, UniLad misogynists or Gamergate oddballs without dreaming of asbos raining down like confetti, smothering them all.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/internet-trolls-are-infuriating-and-depressing-but-giving-them-asbos-is-not-the-answer-10034692.html

She is right of course.  All the above mentioned category of twitter tw.. are generally harmless, if unpleasant, and so best ignored if possible (though it's difficult to do when you or your loved ones are on the receiving end of  twitter storm).

Offline faithlilly

So are you saying that Katie Price has no right to try and prevent twitter trolls from writing vile things about her disabled son on twitter?

No I'm saying she inflames the situation with her constant publicity seeking.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Alfie

No I'm saying she inflames the situation with her constant publicity seeking.
Do vile, disgusting or defamtory tweets matter if the person being tweeted about cannot read them? Put it another way, if a group of children mock or taunt a blind, deaf child in their midst is it OK because the deaf, blind child is unaware of the mocking and taunting?

Offline Alice Purjorick

You seem to be confusing several different issues here.
If the objective is to harm Harvey then no harm has been done to him as he cannot understand the offensive things said.
If the objective is to cause annoyance to his mother then possibly it will work.
Is the matter actionable at law? It is then a matter for the police or anyone who wishes to complain to the police about the matter.
Are the tweets morally questionable ....in my book yes but such idiots who tweet such things exist and unless I go to work on them with an AK 47 they will continue to exist. Some as McCann supporters.
Posting on here about it will achieve sweet Felicity Arkwright.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 06:39:14 PM by Alice Purjorick »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline faithlilly

Do vile, disgusting or defamtory tweets matter if the person being tweeted about cannot read them? Put it another way, if a group of children mock or taunt a blind, deaf child in their midst is it OK because the deaf, blind child is unaware of the mocking and taunting?

No.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Alfie

No.
Then presumably you agree that the argument "The McCanns are not on social media" is beside the point?  Vile tweets are vile tweets and indefensible whether or not the person about whom the tweets are written see them or not.  Furthermore, such tweets can do harm to both a person's reputation and the way they are viewed by others, whether or not the person about whom the tweets are written see them or not.