Author Topic: Has disgraced former cop Gonçalo Amaral appealed his conviction?  (Read 40592 times)

Alfie

Re: Has disgraced former cop Gonçalo Amaral appealed his conviction?
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2016, 10:22:59 PM »
Now you are being silly.
According to you a resignation is another word for choosing to lose a job.  So anyone who has ever resigned from a job has "lost their job", yes?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2016, 10:36:20 PM »
According to you a resignation is another word for choosing to lose a job.  So anyone who has ever resigned from a job has "lost their job", yes?

No and No. Now show me where I used the word "resignation".
Thanking you in anticipation
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Alfie

« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2016, 10:47:54 PM »
No and No. Now show me where I used the word "resignation".
Thanking you in anticipation
When you choose not to follow a job 100 miles up country you don't get sacked, you.....(fill in the dots).

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2017, 09:12:44 PM »
http://portugalresident.com/portuguese-journalist-wins-landmark-case-over-freedom-of-expression

A Portuguese journalist condemned to pay €60,000 for an opinion article he wrote in 2006 has finally won what will undoubtedly become a landmark case for freedom of expression.

José Manuel Fernandes - formerly editor of Público (now publisher of news review website Observador) - was found guilty of defamation by the full gamut of Portuguese courts.

But the European Court of Human Rights has now ruled that these courts “exceeded their margin of appreciation” in maintaining Fernandes’ enormous indemnity - one which it pointed out was equivalent to a sum attributed over a death.

The State has thus been ordered to pay Fernandes €9,400 “plus expenses” within a three-month deadline from today.

It hasn’t been explained this way, but the “plus expenses” clause is likely to run to hefty sum, considering Fernandes has been fighting this judicial battle for the best part of a decade.

The article that started Fernandes’ litigation nightmare centred on a critique of the appointment of Noronha do Nascimento to head up the Supreme Tribunal of Justice.

Noronha do Nascimento took exception to being considered the personification of the “dark side of our justice system”, and took out a prosecution for defamation.

As Observador explains, the ECHR is available to any citizen who has exhausted the judicial means at their disposal and who feels their human rights have been violated.

And today the ECHR ruled in Fernandes’ favour, saying there was “no reasonable relationship of proportionality between the restriction of freedom of expression of the complainant and the objective pursued of protecting the good name of Noronha do Nascimento”.

For anyone following ‘freedom of expression’ cases - like that of former Maddie cop Gonçalo Amaral, or of currently jailed activist Maria de Lurdes (click here) - this ruling may well set a valid precedent over “reasonable relationship of proportionality”. The pity is that people have to fight so long to win it.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Alfie

« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2017, 11:05:55 PM »
The case of Maria de Lurdes truly is a scandal and lends credence to the view of Portugal as a third world nation, (as described by one of Maria's supporters)

http://portugalresident.com/outrage-over-jailing-of-portuguese-woman-who-called-judges-“gangs-of-organised-criminals”

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2017, 11:41:28 PM »
The case of Maria de Lurdes truly is a scandal and lends credence to the view of Portugal as a third world nation, (as described by one of Maria's supporters)

http://portugalresident.com/outrage-over-jailing-of-portuguese-woman-who-called-judges-“gangs-of-organised-criminals”

One miscarriage of justice does not a third world nation make Alfie.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:46:20 PM by Faithlilly »
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline misty

« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2017, 11:54:41 PM »
It all depends for whose benefit justice is seen to be served.

The Maria de Lurdes case is shocking in an EU country in 2016.

Offline sadie

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2017, 12:23:07 AM »

The webpage that you mention seems already to have been pulled Alfie.

I wonder why?

Fast work.  Very fast work.  Are they hiding something?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2017, 01:31:47 AM »
The webpage that you mention seems already to have been pulled Alfie.

I wonder why?

Fast work.  Very fast work.  Are they hiding something?
try http://portugalresident.com/outrage-over-jailing-of-portuguese-woman-who-called-judges-%E2%80%9Cgangs-of-organised-criminals%E2%80%9D
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Alfie

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
One miscarriage of justice does not a third world nation make Alfie.
It was a Portuguese national who used that phrase.  Is it the only miscarriage of justice in Portugal?  According to a poster on here there has NEVER been a miscarriage of justice in Portugal! 

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »
It was a Portuguese national who used that phrase.  Is it the only miscarriage of justice in Portugal?  According to a poster on here there has NEVER been a miscarriage of justice in Portugal!
I would be interested in knowing who your alleged poster is, because for the life of me, I cannot think of one who fits the jaundiced picture you are presenting.
What's up, old man?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2017, 09:50:13 AM »
I would be interested in knowing who your alleged poster is, because for the life of me, I cannot think of one who fits the jaundiced picture you are presenting.

The poster is Montclair
The post is almost certainly still there it has been widely discussed
He maintained that there was no major case where a miscarriage of justice has been admitted

ferryman

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »

Something seems to have happened to the link you gave, Alfie.

Here it is again:

http://portugalresident.com/portuguese-journalist-wins-landmark-case-over-freedom-of-expression

Shocking indeed.

Posted by PORTUGALPRESS on October 11, 2016
Outrage over jailing of Portuguese woman who called judges “gangs of organised criminals”

It is a case that goes back 16 years and which is causing a wave of outrage on social media. Fifty-year-old Maria de Lurdes Lopes Rodrigues entered Tires jail (Cascais) nearly two weeks ago to serve a three-year sentence for defamation - handed out almost 16 years ago.

The ‘victims’ of her crimes are judges, policemen and prosecutors - many of them high-profile, and extremely well-connected.

As critics explain, it is “extremely rare, almost unheard of” for anyone to be prosecuted for “minor crimes such as offence and defamation”, but in this case perhaps, Maria de Lurdes’ ‘victims’ were simply too important to let the insults go.
Suffice it to say, she is now sharing a cell with two women convicted of murder.

She had dodged her conviction for years, managed to evade orders remanding her to ‘psychiatric accompaniment’ but finally, on September 29, ‘time ran out’.

“It seems that we are in a Third World country, but this is Portugal in the 21st century”, writes friend and ‘social activist’ Mário Gomes, who is behind the gathering appeal to free Rodrigues.

“This woman is not a criminal. She is an intellectual and an artist”.

Indeed, Gomes explains that in the two weeks since her incarceration, Rodrigues has “tried to adapt to prison life, the very rigorous timetables, the slamming of doors, the internal conflicts - very often violent - in which no-one in authority steps in to halt”, and she has made friends: a Moldovian woman imprisoned for falsifying immigration papers, and a Brazilian girl in jail for carrying drugs into Europe.

The trio asked to be transferred to a shared cell. “On the explicit orders of the prison governor, the Moldovian and Brazilian were transferred to a joint cell. Lurdes was transferred to another where her company are two women serving time for murder”.

“What more can I say?” He asks. “People say it isn’t possible to jail someone for words denouncing illegalities. I am sorry but it is. Please all of you leave your iPads, PCs, latest generation mobile phones and do something to get this human being out of prison!”

The facebook group now in operation is rapidly amassing members (click here).

The background to this story can be found in media archives. It centres on Rodrigues taking out a prosecution against former culture minister Manuel Maria Carrilho (currently involved in VIP divorce proceedings with a former game show hostess) in 1996.

Carrilho had ‘robbed her’ of the chance of a scholarship to continue her studies in cinematography, claimed Rodrigues.

Then in her late 30s, Lurdes won the case, which went to appeal.

As her friend Mário Gomes explains, she lost thereafter in court “with a judge whom she accused of corruption because, as (Rodrigues) believed, she (the judge) always put herself on the side of the minister”.

And so it went on. Diário de Notícias explained in 2013 that Rodrigues refused to give up, filing complaints about “various personalities, like the former Attorney General of the Republic Pinto Monteiro, the director of DCIAP Maria José Morgado and the director of the PJ Almeida Rodrigues, accusing them of “excusing crimes” practised by people she had accused of “stealing and plundering” her home and property”.

There came a point where she wrote that DIAP director Morgado “smiled like a psychopath and murderer” over Rodrigues’ case of eviction.

And then came the letters describing the Attorney General and other personalities as “criminal gangs”.

As DN said at the time, Maria de Lurdes Lopes Rodrigues has entered into the history of Portuguese justice “as being one of the few people condemned to prison for a minor crime like offence and defamation”.

It now remains to be seen if she stays there, or if this impetus to see her freed rings the changes.

The Free Maria de Lurdes facebook group is open to anyone, of any nationality.

Its next upcoming event is a meeting at the Faculty of Human and Social Sciences on October 24, to debate: “Freedom, Censure and Democracy”.

natasha.donn@algarveresident.com

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »
The poster is Montclair
The post is almost certainly still there it has been widely discussed
He maintained that there was no major case where a miscarriage of justice has been admitted
So which is it?

Alfie "there has NEVER been a miscarriage of justice in Portugal".
Davel "no major case where a miscarriage of justice has been admitted".

And why are you filling in for Alfie?
What's up, old man?

Alfie

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2017, 10:06:48 AM »
"In Portugal, there is an appeals system and people have seen their sentences reduced or verdicts overturned but miscarriages of justices as you see in the UK, I am not aware of" - Montclair.  Previous comments on the same subject by this poster, predating the above comment seem to have been wiped.

Full thread on the subject here http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=5005.0
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:13:31 AM by Alfie »