Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535033 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Called into question by who?

Those who like to collect taxes.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Carana

The validity of the idea that the fund could pay the fees and expenses on the basis that the trial was about the search being impeded, one of the funds objectives, could potentially be called into question if the end result is in favour of Amaral as the court has already ruled the search was not impeded.
One may not remove funds willy nilly from a limited company as some methods attract a tax liability....... &%+((£

Why?

The court did rule that any damage caused directly by him concerning the investigation / public opinion couldn't be determined / quantified.

However, a former (short-lived) coordinator is insisting on a theory, in which his understanding of the case frankly often doesn't even make sense, in which a missing little girl is necessarily dead and is therefore not worth searching for when the whole point of the Fund was to try to find her, or what happened to her, and bring whoever was responsible to justice.

Between his selective "memory", his "comprehension" problems of fairly basic issues such as DNA, his "coordination" from various bars, and his heavy-handed insinuations that every agency he could think of must be somehow involved in a massive coverup for two fairly ordinary doctors.... I really don't know quite what to say.

Offline G-Unit

Has it ever been explained why it was termed a 'fighting fund'  Who were they planning on fighting in those very early days?

Brian Kennedy also gave an interview at the Rothley War Memorial on May 17, 2007. This time he was eager to tell us how to donate money to the “Fund” via two banks – the Nat West and the Royal Bank of Scotland. He also told us what the money would be used for:

“Mainly for legal expenditure”

http://mccannfundfraud.info/2011/05/brian-kennedy-admits-madeleine-fund-was-for-legal-expenditure/
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Alice Purjorick

Why?

The court did rule that any damage caused directly by him concerning the investigation / public opinion couldn't be determined / quantified.

However, a former (short-lived) coordinator is insisting on a theory, in which his understanding of the case frankly often doesn't even make sense, in which a missing little girl is necessarily dead and is therefore not worth searching for when the whole point of the Fund was to try to find her, or what happened to her, and bring whoever was responsible to justice.

Between his selective "memory", his "comprehension" problems of fairly basic issues such as DNA, his "coordination" from various bars, and his heavy-handed insinuations that every agency he could think of must be somehow involved in a massive coverup for two fairly ordinary doctors.... I really don't know quite what to say.

That is irrelevant. Did the court decide that Amarals book had or had not impeded the search for Madeleine McCann.
That is all that is relevant in this instance.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

That is irrelevant. Did the court decide that Amarals book had or had not impeded the search for Madeleine McCann.

11. Because of the statements made by defendant Gonçalo Amaral in the book, in the documentary and in the interview to Correio
      da Manhã, the Polícia Judiciária stopped collecting information and investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann?

Not proved.

22. The attention of the media and of people in general diminished when defendant Gonçalo Amaral’s book was published?

Not proved.
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=5931.0
Result = happy posting.

Offline Carana

His sidekick Paiva popped up to say that the book hadn't harmed the investigation (hardly suprising) and there was no quantifiable evidence of a change of opinion as a result of his book, "documentary" and the one article presented.

Virtually all the half-mangled "incriminatory" PT leaks to the press happened under his watch.

It's not that difficult to make or sanction poisonous insinuations in the media, then "retire" to write a book and justify if by saying that it was all public knowledge anyway.

Yes, there are the files that can be consulted, but how many people can actually be bothered to double-check when he comes across on his matinée TV chat shows as if he actually knows what he's talking about?

Offline ShiningInLuz

Brian Kennedy also gave an interview at the Rothley War Memorial on May 17, 2007. This time he was eager to tell us how to donate money to the “Fund” via two banks – the Nat West and the Royal Bank of Scotland. He also told us what the money would be used for:

“Mainly for legal expenditure”

http://mccannfundfraud.info/2011/05/brian-kennedy-admits-madeleine-fund-was-for-legal-expenditure/
I cannot get the site in the link to respond, so this is based purely on your post.

What legal expenditure (presuming this relates to actions in law, rather than expenditure that is not illegal) could BK have possibly had in mind on 17 May 2007?

PS.  Who is the "us" that got told this?
What's up, old man?

Offline Carana

It appears from the cite that the Charity Commission were working with the McCann's representatives on revised wording to set it up as a charity and for reasons undisclosed decided to go ahead with a limited company.

Did the Charity Commission actually understand at the offset that the Fund was intended for the search for a single child?

There may have been some initial lost-in-confusion there.

Offline Alice Purjorick

His sidekick Paiva popped up to say that the book hadn't harmed the investigation (hardly suprising) and there was no quantifiable evidence of a change of opinion as a result of his book, "documentary" and the one article presented.

Virtually all the half-mangled "incriminatory" PT leaks to the press happened under his watch.

It's not that difficult to make or sanction poisonous insinuations in the media, then "retire" to write a book and justify if by saying that it was all public knowledge anyway.

Yes, there are the files that can be consulted, but how many people can actually be bothered to double-check when he comes across on his matinée TV chat shows as if he actually knows what he's talking about?

Try looking at it from a different angle.
Say for the sake of argument HMRC think that Leaving No Stone Unturned Limited has payed legal fees and expenses which in the opinion of the Revenue were not strictly to the company's benefit but to the personal benefit of two of the directors. Bearing in mind the action was not brought by Leaving No Stone Unturned Limited but by two of the directors.
Next move ?

Offline jassi

Did the Charity Commission actually understand at the offset that the Fund was intended for the search for a single child?

There may have been some initial lost-in-confusion there.

Whichever way the McCanns turned, it seems to have caused confusion for someone  8(8-))
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Carana

Try looking at it from a different angle.
Say for the sake of argument HMRC think that Leaving No Stone Unturned Limited has payed legal fees and expenses which in the opinion of the Revenue were not strictly to the company's benefit but to the personal benefit of two of the directors. Bearing in mind the action was not brought by Leaving No Stone Unturned Limited but by two of the directors.
Next move ?

Not sure I follow, Alice.

Aside from initial travel / subsidy expenses and 2 mortgage payments, I don't see how the McCanns have benefited financially from the Fund.

If you mean the cost of the action against Amaral & co., I'm not familiar enough with UK law concerning the options. The Fund was clearly set up to help find Madeleine, and Amaral's spoutings were deemed to have been hindering that. Whether it was two of the directors or the entire board leading the action, what difference would it make?

Offline Carana

Whichever way the McCanns turned, it seems to have caused confusion for someone  8(8-))

Evidently. You can't set up a charity for the benefit of a single person. It's possible that wires got crossed as there are families who set up memorial funds / charities in the name of their loved ones, normally once they know the outcome of their own situation, which clearly isn't the case in this instance.

I doubt that attempting to set up a charity for all British 3-year-olds missing while on holiday in Portugal in May 2007 would have worked either.

Offline Alice Purjorick

Not sure I follow, Alice.

Aside from initial travel / subsidy expenses and 2 mortgage payments, I don't see how the McCanns have benefited financially from the Fund.

If you mean the cost of the action against Amaral & co., I'm not familiar enough with UK law concerning the options. The Fund was clearly set up to help find Madeleine, and Amaral's spoutings were deemed to have been hindering that. Whether it was two of the directors or the entire board leading the action, what difference would it make?

This is hypothetical you understand because as of now we are not at the end of the road.
Removing money from a limited company is governed by a set rules laid down by HMRC and Companies House.
The issue they will look at is:
Was the money used strictly in accordance with the companies objectives which do not include looking after the family. That is a matter of record in Articles of Association available from Companies House
or was it used for the personal benefit of a director. In the case of the latter it may be considered as a taxable benefit or a directors loan both of which may attract tax liability. In the case of a taxable benefit the recipient is liable to tax on the value of the benefit at the higher rate, to pay employees NHI contribution as appropriate and the company will pay employers NHI contribution.
It is complex but the bottom line is you cannot use money belonging to a limited company for personal advantage without attracting a tax liability.
So again hypothetically Joe Bloggs takes 500 grand out of his companies account and the revenue later rules it was personal benefit. Joe Bloggs pays tax on the 500 grand and both he and the company pay NHI on it. The bill comes to about 270 grand due to the Revenue on or by the date they nominate.
One thing you know about the Revenue is if they think they have a reasonable chance to collect they go for it.

In this issue Amaral is irrelevant whether he spouted* or not. What the court said is relevant.

https://www.gov.uk/running-a-limited-company/taking-money-out-of-a-limited-company

* Amaral spouting seems to be the latest metaphor. Has he morphed into Manneken Pis perchance ?

Offline G-Unit

I cannot get the site in the link to respond, so this is based purely on your post.

What legal expenditure (presuming this relates to actions in law, rather than expenditure that is not illegal) could BK have possibly had in mind on 17 May 2007?

PS.  Who is the "us" that got told this?

Us the general public. 11th May; IFLG told us that we needed to set up a ‘fighting fund’.There had already been some speculation in the press, based on those erroneous reports that when Madeleine was taken we were dining ‘hundreds of metres away’, that we could face prosecution for negligence...... Kate McCann Madeleine.

By then they seem to have hired Control Risks and IFLG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4jsLkwa7cc
Result = happy posting.

stephen25000

http://fytton.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/the-fund-revisited.html

In 2012 I published a report http://www.mccannfiles.com/id405.html about the background to the incorporation of the limited company Madeleine’s Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned just 11 days after she went missing.

My report upset an unknown McCann supporter so much that he or she complained to my professional body, the ICEAW (Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales).

This happened in November 2012 but I only learned of it recently when by chance I came across a post which the person concerned had made on the Internet.

I was never contacted as the complaint did not meet the standards required by the ICEAW to warrant asking to hear my side of the story. The ICEAW reply to the complainant included the sentence:

‘Mrs O'Dowd is entitled to her opinions and views and freedom of speech’.

Exactly!

I imagine that this vexatious complaint caused some amusement at the ICEAW, and, on a more positive note, will have brought my report on the Fund to the attention of the staff at the ICEAW who may have discussed it with family and friends.   

At the time I published the first report on the Fund, I did not understand why the situation warranted a limited company set up with such speed.  I still don’t understand this four years later, having reviewed the subsequent audited accounts now available.

According to the book madeleine, charity experts BWB were hired on the advice of the paralegal. It is surprising that Kate did not let them have a day or two more to explore charity status. This slight delay would not have reduced the chances of finding Madeleine, alive or dead. And it is also surprising that the McCanns have apparently not revisited the charity status issue.

In Chapter 9 of madeleine Kate describes her activities on May 14; she does not mention any dealings with BWB, nor does she mention dealing with the paralegal or anyone else at IFLG. There must have been emails and phone calls that day from her advisors. She just states that charity status would not be forthcoming as it was deemed that the 'public benefit' test would not be met, and adds that it (the Fund) 'was set up with great care and due diligence by experts in their field.'

It would be more accurate to state it was set up with great haste and with no apparent reason for that haste.

Rather than describing the busy day she must have had dealing with her lawyers, and why she made the decision to proceed with incorporation and abandon the negotiations for charity status, she talks of going for a run, her first since Madeleine went missing.

She doesn’t mention the cost of getting a top legal firm to set up a limited company. The donations coming in were for finding Madeleine and not for lawyers. The legal pair would presumably have informed her of the ongoing compliance costs of operating a limited company such as the audit fee. The audit fees for the accounts from commencement to March 2014 total £50,085. The audit fee for the year ended 31 March 2015 is not known.

The Audited Accounts

When the first set of audited accounts for the period from 15 May 2007 to

31 March 2008 became available at Companies House, much information was provided but it raised many issues, one of which was that apparently only 13% of expenditure had gone on searching for Madeleine.

The Fund directors had two choices:
to answer questions about the accounts both from the media and from members of the public, to put financial information on the official website, and to provide clearer accounts in future.
or
to ignore the questions and reduce the information provided in subsequent accounts, in the hope of reducing or eliminating questions, while adhering to statutory disclosure requirements.

They went for the latter option. Subsequent accounts provided much less information but still raised questions! The accounts for the most recent year available, the year ended 31 March 2015, provide even less information than in previous years which is why the my summary of accounting results 2007-2015 later in this article contains (?) in the 2015 column.

It is quite reasonable that an ordinary trading company would not reveal more information than legally required in its filed accounts because some information could be commercially sensitive and of use to a trade competitor. However, this argument would not apply to a company such as Madeleine's Fund where it would logically be to its advantage for the public to see where the money was going.

I contacted the company auditors who passed my questions on the accounts to Clarence Mitchell, their PR spokesman. I received the following response:

‘I have now been authorised to issue the following brief statement from Madeleine's Fund in response to your approach:

"Madeleine's Fund - Leaving No Stone Unturned Limited" fulfils all of its legal requirements through the filing and public declaration of all the information that is legally required of it. It exists to support the search for Madeleine and remains entirely dedicated to finding her through everything that it does, fully in line with its published objectives."

I appreciate that this does not directly address your specific questions but this is all that the Fund wishes, or needs, to state at present. I hope it is helpful nonetheless.

Kind regards,

Clarence’

Filing of the Fund’s Accounts

Good practice demands the filing of accounts as soon as practical after the accounting year end before the information becomes to some extent irrelevant.  Prompt filing is necessary for
genuine ‘transparency.’ Prompt filing costs nothing but even if it did, the commitment in madeleine promised transparency ‘despite the costs involved.’

All we can see from the 2015 accounts is that there was £763,772 in
the bank at the year end, a figure similar to the cash at bank in the
previous year and that there were creditors of £17,620 leaving the
company net worth just under £750,000 as at 31 March 2015.

The Fund now

So, close to nine years after the Fund was incorporated, and given the
commitment in madeleine to transparency, whatever it cost, we have -

·     No financial information on the official website

AND
·     audited accounts which tell us, in effect, nothing

What is the reason for the reluctance to give financial information?

The website still requests donations from the public, one that is becoming
increasingly suspicious of charities and not for profit organisations which
request support yet do not provide clear information as to why they need
money and what it is spent on.

The Fund’s raison d’être and its income and expenditures remain a mystery.

Enid O’Dowd FCA

www.enidodowd.com

1 February 2016
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 07:13:23 PM by stephen25000 »