Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533521 times)

Offline pegasus

"Clarence Mitchell, spokesman for the McCanns, was unavailable this afternoon"

Offline pathfinder73

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/7088278/Portuguese-detective-who-claimed-McCanns-faked-Maddies-disappearance-after-she-died-in-apartment-wins-libel-appeal.html?CMP=spklr-_-Editorial-_-TWITTER-_-TheSunNewspaper-_-20160419-_-News-_-438921093-_-Imageandlink

Portuguese detective who claimed McCanns faked Maddie's disappearance after she died in apartment wins libel appeal

Goncolo Amaral wrote a damning book 'The Truth of the Lie' in 2008, in which he blamed the McCanns for covering up Maddie's death

A PORTUGUESE detective who wrote a book claiming the McCanns faked Maddie's disappearance after she died in their holiday apartment has won a libel appeal against her parents.

Goncalo Amaral was ordered to pay Kate and Gerry McCann half a million euros in libel damages in April last year after accusing them of faking their daughter's abduction in an explosive book.

It was today reported three appeal judges ruled in the former Portuguese police chief's favour, meaning he will not have to pay out the cash.

Goncalo launched an appeal a month after losing his long-running libel battle over the controversial 2008 book.

In 'The Truth of the Lie', he said the McCanns faked Madeleine's abduction after she died in their holiday apartment.

He was ordered to pay interest after a Lisbon judge ruled he overstepped freedom of speech limits.

The McCanns announced after the verdict they would plough “every penny” of the payout into the hunt for their daughter, three when she vanished on May 3 2007.

Amaral’s appeal thwarted their hopes of spending the money.

Clarence Mitchell, spokesman for the McCanns, was unavailable this afternoon.

Isabel Duarte, the Portuguese lawyer who represented the couple over the libel case, was said by her office to be in court and unavailable.

Amaral could also not be immediately contacted.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Mr Gray

Losses incurred as a consequence of the McCann's legal actions.

are you sure he has a case .......and are any damages awarded by a portuguese court enforceable against assets in the UK...do you really know the answers to these questions

Offline pegasus

are you sure he has a case .......and are any damages awarded by a portuguese court enforceable against assets in the UK...do you really know the answers to these questions
So would it make more sense to do it in an English court Davel?

Offline Alice Purjorick

What would stop him suing in this country should he so wish?
I can imagine a queue forming to take his business; England and Wales defamation law being generally in favour of the plaintiff 'n' all.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

Sorry Peggy we crossed
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline John

They can't have it both ways so if Gonçalo does as he stated he would do and pursue a damages action then regardless of where the McCanns reside they will have to comply with any Order made by a Portuguese court.  No doubt Sra Duarte and Ricardo Alfonso will lodge a further appeal to the Supreme Court so this could rumble on much further.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:39:28 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline jassi

Likely not, but it would be a PR home goal if they refused to pay what they owed.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline John

Brunty is on the ball now on Sky News.

McCann lawyer Isabel Duarte confirms she will appeal decision to the Supreme Court in Lisbon.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:43:46 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline misty

They can't have it both ways so if Gonçalo does as he stated he would do and pursue a damages action then regardless of where the McCanns reside they will have to comply with any Order made by a Portuguese court.  No doubt Sra Duarte and Ricardo Alfonso will lodge a further appeal to the Supreme Court so this could rumble on much further.

If he pursued a damages claim he would have to reveal details of all the financial assistance he's received during the period in question...

Offline John

If he pursued a damages claim he would have to reveal details of all the financial assistance he's received during the period in question...

He would.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:08:35 PM by John »

Online Eleanor

If Amaral is allowed to say whatever he likes, shouldn't The McCanns be afforded the same?

Just asking.

Offline carlymichelle

McCann are 'disappointed but not surprised' after Portuguese cop wins libel appeal

Isabel Duarte, the McCanns' Portuguese lawyer, said she was "disappointed" but not surprised by the appeal decision.

She said Madeleine's parents instructed her to launch an appeal of their own, to be decided by Portugal's Supreme Court.

She confirmed: “I have just learnt that the three appeal court judges have decided to overturn the original decision in favour of my clients. It was a unanimous decision. The original decision has been revoked.

“I and the McCanns are obviously disappointed but I am not surprised because one of the judges ruled in favour of a previous appeal overturning a ban on the book.

“This decision was an appreciation of the law and not the facts.

“We can appeal to the Supreme Court which we will do as we have instructions from our clients.

“My understanding from reading the appeal ruling is that the judges have decided Amaral was entitled to write a book the court calls a literary book.

“The court is basically saying he had the right to express his opinions.

“We obviously hope the appeal will succeed.

“The McCanns never received any compensation money after the original decision although the money was deposited at the court so there is no money to return to Gonzalo Amaral."

Offline jassi

If Amaral is allowed to say whatever he likes, shouldn't The McCanns be afforded the same?

Just asking.

No, no. That's what they employ a mouthpiece for  @)(++(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline carlymichelle

No, no. That's what they employ a mouthpiece for  @)(++(*

8)-))) he  has gone  AWOL