Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533560 times)

Offline Brietta

Interesting bit in the Guardian on Line:

"Duarte said she intended to fight the decision at the supreme court, though she had not yet assembled her legal arguments".

IMO only after studying the appeal court judges' ruling would it be appropriate to assemble legal arguments ... so may be interesting but not extraordinary.
Mr Amaral's legal team took a considerable amount of time to assemble their appeal arguments against the libel (hotly disputed that it was libel) case lost by him (now accepted as libel that he has won his appeal ... ).

Who are these judges anyway?  We know that one has had dealings with this case some years ago ...
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Alice Purjorick

do you have  a link...do you understand the libel laws in the uk are quite different

do you understand the libel laws in the uk are quite different.......................from what they were in 2007  ?{)(**

"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Lace

police  write books around the world about cases all the time why does  GA writing a book upset them so much i have  many true   crime books by  detectives  on my  kindle

That's the problem though isn't it,    he wrote as fact what hadn't been proven to be fact,   even the title of the book 'The Truth of the Lie'   suggests he is telling the truth and that the McCann's lied.

Offline Mr Gray

Just picked this as a single example of something that is annoying me. 

The idea that I live in a fascist country is nonsense, IMO.  For those who want to categorise Portugal as a fascist country in its entirety, start providing some cites.

For those who wish to categorise this court decision as a fascist decision, stop asserting this and start providing some supporting evidence.

My personal background on this is that I believed the decision would be upheld but with the amount reduced.  My recent visitor to Luz thought Amaral would win.  So I 'lost' and my visitor 'won'.

For the record, I have left every single post on this describing Portugal as a fascist country intact, while deleting dozens.  But I have had enough.  If you wish to describe where I live as a fascist country, or the decision as a fascist decision, please do not be affronted if I choose to challenge your ideas, not as a Mod but merely as a commentator.

This is not directed at Ferryman in particular.  It is a general message to those spraying 'fascist country' or 'fascist decision' about.

My opinion is that portugal is  a fascist country..am I allowed to hold that opinion or do I have to satisfy you that it is valid...who decided you were the judge on this.
Amaral has accused the mccanns of crimes with no evidence to back his claims yet this is allowed..why is that

stephen25000

My opinion is that portugal is  a fascist country..am I allowed to hold that opinion or do I have to satisfy you that it is valid...who decided you were the judge on this.
Amaral has accused the mccanns of crimes with no evidence to back his claims yet this is allowed..why is that

Note the word thesis.

Offline carlymichelle

because  he is  allowed his opinon    and since you  were not there and he was you cant  judge  him

stephen25000

Reports from Portugal that Amaral will contersue the mccanns  for 'moral and financial  losses'.

Offline carlymichelle

stephen  dont  you  think  this  anger at  GA   winning  is  pathetic he did his police  job police are  allowed to gave their own opinion   and police  do   and see things most people of the public  couldnt begin to deal  with
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:29:44 AM by ShiningInLuz »

Offline carlymichelle

stephen good  for  him   they  totally  disrupted his  and  his families lives

Offline Lace

I think you need to accept that many of those who believed the McCanns at first have changed their minds. The McCanns had tremendous support at the beginning but it has slowly disappeared. Kate's bike ride fundraiser demonstrated this because she struggled to reach her target and only reached it weeks after the event.

By comparison Amaral's fund, set up by Leanne Baulch exceeded it's target spectacularly. Not because everyone subscribed to his theory, not because they were duped and lied to by him but because many felt they had been duped and lied to by the McCanns.

They had begun to look like people who would countenance no dissent. If anyone questioned their version of events they were Carter-Rucked or they were labelled 'vile trolls' and 'sad inadequate people sitting in their bedrooms pouring out hate'. People began to own up to being trolls and being proud of it. They donated to Amaral's Fund as much to teach the McCanns a lesson as to help him. No-one knew if he would win, but they hoped he would and they made it possible for him to have that chance.

It now appears more than coincidental that the 'Madeleine may be alive' story emerged just before the 'McCanns lose appeal story'. A pattern has emerged over the years of encouraging stories being written just as discouraging stories are written. I wonder if they call DCS Duthie 'Mick'?

Kate McCann's bike ride fundraiser was for Missing People not for herself.

The appeal for Amaral deceived people,   they called it 'Justice for Madeleine'   some people [as they really don't follow the case]   thought that somehow Amaral was going to have the McCann's arrested when he won his appeal,  even now I read on twitter 'arrests soon then'   really these people have no idea.    That appeal Justice for Madeleine was even put out on Madeleine's birthday which was really disgusting.   I read on one of the papers comment section that one poster was watching Richard Halls video's,  so you have all the conspiracy groups commenting on there,  plus the nasty groups just organised to abuse the McCann's.    One person who has got a petition for SY with over a thousand signatures,  all of those probably commented.

They don't represent the general public,   they represent the mass who have made the Madeleine case their life ambition.

Offline Lace

stephen  dont  you  think  this  anger at  GA   winning  is  pathetic he did his police  job police are  allowed to gave their own opinion   and police  do   and see things most people of the public  couldnt begin to deal  with

I ask again carly if the book and Amaral's accusations were aimed at you would you just ignore it?

Offline Lace

stephen good  for  him   they  totally  disrupted his  and  his families lives

Amaral disrupted his family life,  the McCann's did nothing to cause their marriage break up it was all Amaral's own doing,  stop listening to gossip.

Offline jassi

I rather fancy that most of us wouldn't put ourselves in the position where anybody would feel the need to write a book about us, any more than we would feel the need to write a book defending our action in the first place.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline carlymichelle

I ask again carly if the book and Amaral's accusations were aimed at you would you just ignore it?

i wouuld never put myself in the position   lace  the mcanns started  all this 

Offline Mr Gray

because  he is  allowed his opinon    and since you  were not there and he was you cant  judge  him

then we should all be able to hold an opinion