Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 533520 times)

Offline Mr Gray

I don't suppose it's crossed anyone's mind that Portugal would rather have ECHR rule on this than have to do it themselves?

I think many haven't realised that's where it may well end up

Offline Alice Purjorick

I don't suppose it's crossed anyone's mind that Portugal would rather have ECHR rule on this than have to do it themselves?

That might prove to be rather difficult.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Eleanor

Could we have a care about accusing people of lying, please.

Offline jassi

Many of us will be content to wait and see and have no need to fantasise about things that may never come about.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

That might prove to be rather difficult.

Not if Portugal wishes to remain in The EU and collect the hand outs.

Offline Eleanor

Many of us will be content to wait and see and have no need to fantasise about things that may never come about.

Really?

Offline Alice Purjorick

I'm content to accuse Amaral of lying.

He lied.

I've demonstrated it (with appropriate quotes and references).

None the less he won his appeal.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

I suggest you remind davel of that Eleanor.

I think as amaral received a suspended sentence for lying we are safe to point this out

Offline jassi

Could we have a new 'slag off Amaral' thread in the members section so that Davel and Ferryman and others  can abuse him to their heart's content?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

ferryman

Could we have a new 'slag off Amaral' thread in the members section so that Davel and Ferryman and others  can abuse him to their heart's content?

You confuse 'abuse' with just critique that exposes as flawed and risible this latest judgement of the Portuguese courts

Offline Mr Gray

What's wrong with us expressing our opinion on the slagging off the McCanns thread

Offline Alice Purjorick

Not if Portugal wishes to remain in The EU and collect the hand outs.

The ECHR has nothing to do with the EU.

Offline Brietta

Sorry, I couldn't resist that little joke. I knew what the reaction would be.  @)(++(*

Still, who knows what may happen? The impossible (according to some) has happened in Portugal. The guy who didn't have a hope of being allowed to appeal was allowed to appeal. Then he won; another impossibility according to some. As few understand Portuguese law and legal processes their surprise is...........surprising. It seems the original judge didn't correctly interpret the matter of judicial secrecy, for example, so what hope UK people had of deciding if she was correct I don't know. Of course some didn't even understand what she based her judgement on.

Some didn't even know it was a libel trial ... until the appeal against the judgement was upheld ... then they seemed to cotton on.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

I suggest you remind davel and ferryman of that Eleanor.

I am not in a position at the moment wherein I feel justified in actively preventing it.  I asked politely.

John will no doubt decide.

Offline Eleanor

None the less he won his appeal.

To say whatever he liked.  There are two sides to that coin.